West Greenville Village

gs3

There are at least 5 mills near downtown Greenville still being used.  Two of them are for sale though.  The ones still in use are Brandon (Dunlop Slazenger), Dunean, Judson, Franklin (nxt to Millls Mill and is where Palmetto Adhesives is), and Union Bleachery (on Hammett St.).  There is also a smaller little Mill next to Brandon where I think a company makes stage curtains.

• 2 months later...

8624851564_e4695c24b9_c.jpg

This is from First Friday last night. I haven't been to the District since Open Studios weekend in November. There's seems to be so much momentum and activity going on down there. Several new studios have opened and apparently several more buildings have been renovated and are looking for artists and/or tenants in general. Over heard a conversation about a restaurant looking to open this fall... Mac Arnold seemed to be the one behind this.

Rumor was also being spread that someone has taken over the Village Arts Studio, and it may or may not involve a University as a space to bring students work into Greenville. Anyone know anything about this?

It was great see so much change continuing and a good crowd out in support of the arts!

And, the Asada food truck was on hand.

This is from First Friday last night. I haven't been to the District since Open Studios weekend in November. There's seems to be so much momentum and activity going on down there. Several new studios have opened and apparently several more buildings have been renovated and are looking for artists and/or tenants in general. Over heard a conversation about a restaurant looking to open this fall... Mac Arnold seemed to be the one behind this.

Rumor was also being spread that someone has taken over the Village Arts Studio, and it may or may not involve a University as a space to bring students work into Greenville. Anyone know anything about this?

It was great see so much change continuing and a good crowd out in support of the arts!

Agreed!  I had some good conversations with a few of the artists - momentum is definitely the right word.  I haven't seen anything official on Village Arts transition, but the owner of Midtown Artery told me that Clemson would be in as of September!

You're exactly right, Clemson wishes to get involved in the Arts District through a philanthropist in Greenville that deals a good bit with the Metropolitan Arts Council. 

• 4 weeks later...

Two new grand openings happening in The Village of West Greenville tonight, with more exciting things coming down the pipeline. Really excited to see the artists and business owners in the area making some huge progress and putting Greenville on the map in the process.

Opening tonight Matthew Campbell Studios (https://www.facebook.com/events/372383732878788/permalink/378645435585951/) and Zen House (https://www.facebook.com/ZenHouseAtPendleton?group_id=0)

Two new grand openings happening in The Village of West Greenville tonight, with more exciting things coming down the pipeline. Really excited to see the artists and business owners in the area making some huge progress and putting Greenville on the map in the process.

Opening tonight Matthew Campbell Studios (https://www.facebook.com/events/372383732878788/permalink/378645435585951/) and Zen House (https://www.facebook.com/ZenHouseAtPendleton?group_id=0)

The amount of momentum over there right now is incredible! I wish the City could take the art theme to the next level with fun street lighting, sidewalk inlays, or something of the sort to really pull the art to the forefront in this neighborhood! It's there right now, but it could really be capitalized upon even further. 

Very cool! Especially Zen House. Great to see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Brandon Mill near Pendleton and Easley Bridge Rd is up for Re-zoning to a Planned Development at Greenville County Planning.  I wonder what the plans are for that site.  It's a pretty big building.

http://www.GreenvilleCounty.org/County_Council/_Agenda/Meetings%20of%202013/Planning%20and%20Development/2013.07.15/CZ-2013-25%20summary%20and%20report.pdf

• Like 1

"Brandon Mill near Pendleton and Easley Bridge Rd is up for Re-zoning to a Planned Development at Greenville County Planning.  I wonder what the plans are for that site.  It's a pretty big building.

"On the other side of Greenville, Brandon Mill is waiting for its chance at a new life. "A mixed-use development with 173 apartments was recently proposed for the mill of Shoeless Joe Jackson fame, along with restaurants, a grocery store and other commodities that the Westside is missing."

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20130623/NEWS07/306230001/Historic-Conestee-Brandon-mills-line-redevelopment

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I went to The Village Arts District last night for Open Studios, which was a ton of fun and had a huge turnout. I was surprised to see that there are actually several pop up shops setup for the holidays. This area is such a gem. Check it out if you haven't experienced Open Studios or if you haven't been to the Village in a while! My favorite studios are probably the ones in the flat iron building.

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

My wife and I visited this district on Saturday morning. The Indie Parade was awesome. The only negative part was that we spent too much money! The vibe there is fantastic. Being in our 50's, we were the oldest there. That is okay with us. We love and support the arts community. The reduction to my checking proves that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Upstate Business Journal reports that Saffrons will be leaving Augusta Street in the West End for the Village Of West Greenville.

It seems somewhat ironic considering a few years ago Coffee To A Tea relocated from the village of West Greenville to the space originally occupied by Saffron's Sidewalk Café in the West End Market building.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new Greenville News article that talks about the direction and hopes for the village. I didn't realize so many restaurants were opening. The master plan should help drive public investment in the area as it continues to grow. I think we have something truly unique and special with this area.

As a side note: if you've ever been to the River Arts District in Asheville, there's some distinct similarities and differences. Asheville has done well with branding and producing publications to guide the district's visitors. However, it's very spread out and not the most inviting- probably stemming from it's more industrial nature. They do have good hours that studios are actually open. Greenville's Village Arts District has a lot of character being an old mill village and it is very easy to walk both Lois and Pendleton Street. Growing the hours that studios are actually open and improving the mixture of uses- which is happening- will help further transform this area. I can't wait to see what another 5 years can do! I'm not sure many other places will be able to match this district. It's fortunate to have such a great urban fabric to work off of and to save in the process. If we could only get the mill converted into something productive...

Edited by GvilleSC

There is a new Greenville News article that talks about the direction and hopes for the village. I didn't realize so many restaurants were opening. The master plan should help drive public investment in the area as it continues to grow. I think we have something truly unique and special with this area.

As a side note: if you've ever been to the River Arts District in Asheville, there's some distinct similarities and differences. Asheville has done well with branding and producing publications to guide the district's visitors. However, it's very spread out and not the most inviting- probably stemming from it's more industrial nature. They do have good hours that studios are actually open. Greenville's Village Arts District has a lot of character being an old mill village and it is very easy to walk both Lois and Pendleton Street. Growing the hours that studios are actually open and improving the mixture of uses- which is happening- will help further transform this area. I can't wait to see what another 5 years can do! I'm not sure many other places will be able to match this district. It's fortunate to have such a great urban fabric to work off of and to save in the process. If we could only get the mill converted into something productive...

I agree about the great potential of the district.  The thing I like most about it is that it's near downtown, but not in downtown, yet offers its own "town" feel with the urban nature of those several blocks.  It is tailor made for this kind of adaptive reuse!

I agree about the great potential of the district. The thing I like most about it is that it's near downtown, but not in downtown, yet offers its own "town" feel with the urban nature of those several blocks. It is tailor made for this kind of adaptive reuse!

It absolutely is. Simply seeing multiple vintage clothing pop-up shops in this district this past holiday season was encouraging. The bones are there an the pieces are really falling into place. What's even better is this really seems to have a grass roots origin.

• 1 month later...

Over heard a conversation about a restaurant looking to open this fall... Mac Arnold seemed to be the one behind this.

Mac Arnold's Plate Full of Blues restaurant now soft open at 1237 Pendleton St.   Check Facebook for hours, and live music from  Mac Arnold & Plate Full O’ Blues http://www.macarnold.com/   

Restaurant and info at https://www.facebook.com/asadafood 

• 4 weeks later...