West Greenville Village

gs3

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

Hearing in the rumor mill that Neo Burrito in the Village may end up closing due to issues with staffing. They have recently reconfigured their hours (no longer opening early for breakfast).

Noo I hope not. I wouldn't be surprised though. The Neo Burritos in Asheville are way better. The staff know what they're doing and they're quick. The staff in Gvl always look confused and they take forever. Not sure why the one in Gvl is struggling so much. 

55 minutes ago, Den2Gvl said:

Noo I hope not. I wouldn't be surprised though. The Neo Burritos in Asheville are way better. The staff know what they're doing and they're quick. The staff in Gvl always look confused and they take forever. Not sure why the one in Gvl is struggling so much. 

I won't be surprised either to be honest. I agree with you, confused and take forever was my experience too. It's too bad. I like the concept.

• 3 weeks later...

Pace jewlers will build a three story building on the parking lot and then demolish their current building to provide parking for the new building. The ground floor will be Pace's new location and space for a second tenant. The second floor will be the access floor for 14 apartments (mostly 1BR but a couple of 2 Br) but each unit has a loft level. Essentially it is a three story building.  The architecture is very much a work in progress so I won't go into that too much as it sounded like it was going to change a good bit.  Both the applicant and the board wants it to fit in with the area but will allow some 'playfulness' given it is an Arts district.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

This sounds nice! I wish they'd find a way to put parking somewhere else in order to maintain the existing building. I look forward to seeing the design! I'm glad they're encouraging a playful aspect!

The owner was very reluctant to even consider demolition as his father started the business there. While the building is situated in a historic significant district the building itself is NOT considered to be historically significant.  

21 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

The owner was very reluctant to even consider demolition as his father started the business there. While the building is situated in a historic significant district the building itself is NOT considered to be historically significant.  

Thanks for being our collective eyes and ears at the meeting by sharing! 

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

This sounds nice! I wish they'd find a way to put parking somewhere else in order to maintain the existing building. I look forward to seeing the design! I'm glad they're encouraging a playful aspect!

I agree. They need to address the parking in this area sooner rather than later and I don't think the parking should take up the space of a building. Definitely excited to see what they mean by "playful"!

54 minutes ago, Den2Gvl said:

I agree. They need to address the parking in this area sooner rather than later and I don't think the parking should take up the space of a building. Definitely excited to see what they mean by "playful"!

City needs to start thinking about buying a lot for a future parking garage. It could be a paved parking lot for now. Maybe the other corner of Irvine and Pendleton or 1180 Pendleton Street. There’s a lot there as well. Any other ideas? I can email the city with some suggestions. They need to be proactive. 

34 minutes ago, GVLprogrowth said:

So they are going to put 14 residential parking spots where there building sits currently? I take it these will be reserved spots and not for retail parking....

The spaces will not be reserved. They expect the spaces will be used mostly by retail customers during the day and by tenants overnight. They will make arrangements for some off-site parking as well. 

Yes, they did not review anything out here. Which has helped in establishing a little bit of a "village vibe". Best quote I heard on a city visit to Austin. We were taking a visit of East Austin. The tour guide said, "The city decided to give "East Austin to the artists and got the HELL out of the way." The Village does not need to look like main street. But on another visit to Wynwood we spent some time with the leadership there and they explained the importance of https://wynwoodmiami.com/ their Business Improvement District that all but operated their own DRB. To make sure there is buy in on what is happening. For example, body art(tattoo parlors) are not allowed in the Village. But the BID could agree that we wanted one and it fits in here, so we vote it is ok. They also spoke of certain elements like, if you cant make the parking requirement for occupancy, or you want to break the 2 story height limit, they allow up to 4 stories, but for every additional story you have to give (for example) up to $100,000 into the BID. The BID can then vote to use this money for things like added police, infrastructure, etc. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...