West Greenville Village

gs3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 8:49 PM, vicupstate said:

Pace jewlers will build a three story building on the parking lot and then demolish their current building to provide parking for the new building. The ground floor will be Pace's new location and space for a second tenant. The second floor will be the access floor for 14 apartments (mostly 1BR but a couple of 2 Br) but each unit has a loft level. Essentially it is a three story building.  The architecture is very much a work in progress so I won't go into that too much as it sounded like it was going to change a good bit.  Both the applicant and the board wants it to fit in with the area but will allow some 'playfulness' given it is an Arts district.  

What happened with this project? 

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Site grading permit issued for Burger King.

So surprised the business owners in the Village have not taken a more outward stance against this. A gas station and a Burger King just don't scream "Come down this road and check out our Arts District!" to me. 

Also, GB&D has announced a move to the Commons from the Village... https://gvltoday.6amcity.com/new-methodical-coffee-greenville-sc/ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

So surprised the business owners in the Village have not taken a more outward stance against this. A gas station and a Burger King just don't scream "Come down this road and check out our Arts District!" to me. 

I agree— it’s an unfortunate thing, but when zoning and planning lags behind, you lose your ability to help direct some of this. This is something the city really needs to keep up with as the urban core grows. Currently, greater downtown is evolving at a speed that is outpacing regulations on the books. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

We can’t have 20 story buildings at County Square but we can have Burger King in the village area with no issue. These NIMBY’s are definitely confused about what they should and shouldn’t be protesting. 

No one wants the BK, and the neighbors did oppose the original incarnation, but the footprint was reduced to avoid the need to get city approval. There is no legal leverage to stop it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chuckyvt said:

The County Square plan as drawn requires a zoning change, so yes, there is.   

I was referring to the neighbors saying it shouldn't be allowed based on the plan made 20 something years ago which is not legally binding, but thank you for telling me about the zoning. I thought everyone knew this would require a zoning change but someone may not. 

7 hours ago, chuckyvt said:

The County Square plan as drawn requires a zoning change, so yes, there is.   

The master plan for the area is not legally binding though so technically do they really need a zoning change? :ermm:

Edited by gman430

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to include County Square in the Haynie-Sirrine neighborhood and zoning district in the first place.  I suspect people just never expected County Square to be redeveloped when this was originally drawn up.   Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.