West Greenville Village

gs3

Just received an email stating that the Flat Iron building has been sold, and the studios are moving out. This is sad to see, and makes me a little worried that artists are going to be pushed out of the Village before long. I'm really glad that the area is being successfully revitalized, but I hope we see the unique studio spaces preserved. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Just received an email stating that the Flat Iron building has been sold, and the studios are moving out. This is sad to see, and makes me a little worried that artists are going to be pushed out of the Village before long. I'm really glad that the area is being successfully revitalized, but I hope we see the unique studio spaces preserved. 

That's a big shame. And the artists in this building are some of the best in Greenville, in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

“Affordable“ at its finest. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, GVLprogrowth said:

This map is incorrect. The parcel to the left of the building was .8 acres and was owned by the church. It was recently sold for $500k. They have a deal with the city to repave the parking lot and to bring some additional free parking online. 

Thanks! That's great for the area (short term hopefully).

• 1 month later...

Not surprising about these closings. The area is still a high crime and low income area for the most part. Maybe in ten years the area will become more successful with the addition of Unity Park and gentrification occurring. 

Edited by gman430

On 4/9/2020 at 2:30 PM, gman430 said:

Not surprising about these closings. The area is still a high crime and low income area for the most part. Maybe in ten years the area will become more successful with the addition of Unity Park and gentrification occurring. 

This area is almost at a tipping point.  The shopping center needs a facelift that will bring rents up and new tennants in.   Then that parking lot will feel safer to park in as a base for people to check the area out.   Most of us know about parking by the jewelers but for people driving through the impression from the shopping center is a big turn off.  Any low income areas are a street or two back and with Poe West and other developments happening (along with the park) gentrification which has already been speeding up will continue to increase.  New housing is being peppered in throughout that area as well. Ten years is a stretch.  I am thinking on the shorter side of two to five with early adopters that can make things work now and lock in lower rents (or buy the building before they get too expensive) doing quite well. 

Edited by gvegascple

On 4/9/2020 at 2:30 PM, gman430 said:

Speaking of crime, maybe you can give some advice. My teenage daughter, her mom and step-dad are moving to Greenville this summer. They have under contract some new construction in the Buncombe/Pete Hollis Gateway vicinity. My daughter will be attending a private school there, but I would love to know if the area into which they are moving is safe.  Her mom is excited about the development of Unity Park, and being able to walk to Main St. What do you think? I use to work in Greenville on Pendleton Street, and as beautiful and dynamic it's Main  Street and West End corridor was becoming, I always found the area where my office was, to be   pretty sketchy.  

I've been told that West Greenville has the 2nd lowest crime rate in the city limits.  Those types of claims are VERY nebulous regardless of if they are positive or negative and without more data, really hard to evaluate. However, I really do not have any reason to believe it isn't essentially true. I consider the area to be quite safe and I do know that was NOT the case 15-20 years ago.  Perceptions once established can be very slow and hard to change. 

I honestly think the high turnover of businesses is due to a dearth of walking traffic.  I think restaurants in particular see the lower rents vs. West End/DT/Augusta Rd. and the level of renovation going on and decide to go there.  But they don't do enough research on the pedestrian traffic and income level  in the area.     

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

I've been told that West Greenville has the 2nd lowest crime rate in the city limits.  Those types of claims are VERY nebulous regardless of if they are positive or negative and without more data, really hard to evaluate. However, I really do not have any reason to believe it isn't essentially true. I consider the area to be quite safe and I do know that was NOT the case 15-20 years ago.  Perceptions once established can be very slow and hard to change. 

I honestly think the high turnover of businesses is due to a dearth of walking traffic.  I think restaurants in particular see the lower rents vs. West End/DT/Augusta Rd. and the level of renovation going on and decide to go there.  But they don't do enough research on the pedestrian traffic and income level  in the area.     

Being a resident, I can say first hand that crime is night and day different from 5 years ago and from I have heard the 5 to 10 years before that.  Pedestrian traffic in the village is very lacking.  This area has a lot of potential to be our weird part of town. I would love to see a vintage clothing store and comic book store show up there and then more continued art focused shops but ones that sell things pedestrians could pick up on a whim (smaller and more affordable than $4000 paintings).  I thought neo burrito and more Asheville spin offs would be great but the pedestrian traffic is still not there.  I really think that shopping center is what needs to be updated to make it all fall into place now.  People do need to get past their past view of this part of town (or not depending on if leans more like Asheville and Austin than like mainstreet) too. 

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

Being a resident, I can say first hand that crime is night and day different from 5 years ago and from I have heard the 5 to 10 years before that.  Pedestrian traffic in the village is very lacking.  This area has a lot of potential to be our weird part of town. I would love to see a vintage clothing store and comic book store show up there and then more continued art focused shops but ones that sell things pedestrians could pick up on a whim (smaller and more affordable than $4000 paintings).  I thought neo burrito and more Asheville spin offs would be great but the pedestrian traffic is still not there.  I really think that shopping center is what needs to be updated to make it all fall into place now.  People do need to get past their past view of this part of town (or not depending on if leans more like Asheville and Austin than like mainstreet) too. 

First Fridays have been a great way to expose people to the Village. If you find yourself over there on a work day, there's always a good many people sitting at Village Grind working on laptops. There also used to be a good crowd at the bar near the railroad tracks back when I lived in town 5 years ago.