West Greenville Village

gs3

Mallguy, someone with your background should know that even the quickest transformations don't occur overnight. Also, the areas closest to already successful areas will turn first. That just economics.

I don't think the census asks questions regarding being an artist, so I don;t think there is a register of artists

Apparently the only indicator of success will be if West Greenville becomes another Thornblade.

Most of your suggestions would take major changes to state laws, so we can forget them. Not to mention the most restrictive would just send business and industry to other cities.

As far as the schools, if I am not mistaken Greenville High serves the area and it is a magnet school. The typical couple with two kids who spend their nights at PTA meetings aren't exactly the target audience to begin with. They FOLLOW the artists after they have nurtured the underlying potential.

You may need to take a trip over to West Greenville sometime. It may not yet be the artsy heaven envisioned, however it is undoubtedly becoming a well-known artist colony in Greenville. It has plenty of gritty charater and its growing solid base of creativity is loaded with dynamic variety. (Read more)

I've been there plenty- and drive through once every few weeks as my parents live near downtown. I've seen the area plenty ever since the 1970s. It hasn't changed a lot in nearly 40 years, apart from becoming more ethnically diverse.

I've been there plenty- and drive through once every few weeks as my parents live near downtown. I've seen the area plenty ever since the 1970s. It hasn't changed a lot in nearly 40 years, apart from becoming more ethnically diverse.
West Greenville may not look much different today than it did nearly 40 years ago (although that is highly debatable), however, you cannot reasonably defend the position that it has not seen tremendous changes in the feel/vibe and growth of the community as an active cultural hub in Greenville. The upside there today is unprecedented in its recent history. Just read a few of the posts and replies in that blog I shared above and you will start to understand that there is much more to the community than the aging exterior of old brick buildings along "forgotten" streets.

West Greenville may not look much different today than it did nearly 40 years ago (although that is highly debatable), however, you cannot reasonably defend the position that it has not seen tremendous changes in the feel/vibe and growth of the community as an active cultural hub in Greenville. The upside there today is unprecedented in its recent history. Just read a few of the posts and replies in that blog I shared above and you will start to understand that there is much more to the community than the aging exterior of old brick buildings along "forgotten" streets.

No reason to disagree with you re: "feel/vibe" and culture.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread and the West Greenville Redevelopment thread are talking about the same area. Maybe a moderator can merge the threads into one?

Anyway, not sure if it has been discussed, but some great things are happening in West Greenville / Pendleton Street. The Pendleton Street Arts District website is staying updated:

http://www.pendletonstreetartsdistrict.com/studios

In September, this little village area will have a multi day arts festival for the first time! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The festival will showcase all the artist who have opened studios in the area, as well as have booths set-up for other artist, food vendors and businesses. This definitely says Pendleton Street is making a comeback. Very exciting time for this area of town.

A few photos while playing around in the area this weekend:

IMG_4966.jpg

IMG_4974.jpg

IMG_4987.jpg

IMG_4989.jpg

This thread and the "West Pendleton" thread are dual threads. Same topic. Maybe a moderator can merge.

For those thinking nothing has progressed in this area of town, the number of artist have now reached the point that the Pendleton Street Arts District will be having its first multi day art festival in September. The festival will feature all the studios that have opened, as well as have booths for other artist, booths for food vendors and booths for business vendors. Should be a great event. I believe it starts on September 19th. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The district's website:

http://www.pendletonstreetartsdistrict.com/studios

• 2 months later...

This village area continues to evolve into a true arts district. Checked out the progress today and another storefront is under renovation, for another gallery I assume. Anyone know what is going in here?

IMG_7319.jpg

In addition, only one block behind the village these new apartment homes are going up. Looked like 4 or 5 buildings. I'm sure they are probably subsidized, but still good to see. :thumbsup:

IMG_7317.jpg

IMG_7315.jpg

This village area continues to evolve into a true arts district. Checked out the progress today and another storefront is under renovation, for another gallery I assume. Anyone know what is going in here?

IMG_7319.jpg

Cool! :shades: I like the bright red. This picture looks more like something from Austin, Texas to me for some reason.

I'm still hoping that when this area emerges just a bit more that we'll see a solid link between downtown and the Pendleton Street Arts District. Whether it's through signage, branding, transportation, or infrastructure of some sort, I'm eager to really see this area marketed to the masses. I'd say the majority of Greenville has no idea the revitalization that's occurring in West Greenville's village area.

I'd say the majority of Greenville has no idea the revitalization that's occurring in West Greenville's village area.

True, but I feel that is about to change. The fact that this area has grown and has enough mass of galleries to start a multi day arts festival......the festival should help get the word out. As this annual festival continues, it shouldn't be too many years until most people are aware.

http://www.upstatevisualarts.org/events/wg...llefestival.php

I merged the "Redevelopment: West Greenville" and the "West Pendleton" threads.

So is the city trying to re-brand this area as the Pendleton Street Arts District?

Thanks for merging.

It has already been branded as the Pendleton Street Arts District.....happened about a year ago or more. The district will have it's first multi day arts festival coming up soon (as you can see above). The number of artist moving into this district has continued to climb. :thumbsup:

I see. It sounds like the city is going to use both names. To call it an arts district is different than a total re-branding. For example, Charlotte phased out "North Charlotte" in favor of "NoDa" (short for North Davidson Street). NoDa is an arts district much like West Greenville/W Pendleton. The term West Greenville, much like North Charlotte, is probably confusing to some, so to re-brand the area with a completely different name is one way to deal with it. The "District" thing sounds slightly different to me, but perhaps its not.

• 3 weeks later...

True, but I feel that is about to change. The fact that this area has grown and has enough mass of galleries to start a multi day arts festival......the festival should help get the word out. As this annual festival continues, it shouldn't be too many years until most people are aware.

http://www.upstatevisualarts.org/events/wg...llefestival.php

Talked with a couple of artist in Atlanta today who mentioned they are coming up to support this festival. Thought that was great to see considering this is the first year. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget, this festival is fast approaching....next weekend. Since this is the first year, numerous people are working to get the word out. With Euphoria happening the same weekend, would be great to see some of the Euphoria crowd flow over to this festival as well.

I don't understand why a young, growing arts festival like this would schedule their event on the same weekend as another big event. There have to be other weekends which would have been better. This is, of course, assuming that Euphoria was scheduled first. :)

I don't understand why a young, growing arts festival like this would schedule their event on the same weekend as another big event. There have to be other weekends which would have been better. This is, of course, assuming that Euphoria was scheduled first. :)

I was chatting with someone about this last night. Apparently it was on purpose as Euphoria brings in the same monied crowd that makes art purchases.

Not sure if anyone checked out the festival this weekend, but I went on Sunday for a few hours. The weather was horrible and defintely hurt the attendance, though it was still good to see people making it out for this. While the weather hurt the outdoor set-ups under the tents, the galleries themselves seemed pretty lively and full of people the entire time I was there. We walked from gallery to gallery with our parka's and umbrella's.....have to say, the heavy rains added a certain romance to the event. Leaving and driving along the street with gallery after gallery lit and full of people, it was obvious that a true new destination village area has taken root in Greenville.

In talking with several of the artist, while they were all saddened that the weather dampened the turnout, many were extremely happy to see the rain. A positive group who promised to back next year, bigger, better and praying for sunshine.

Anyway, would love to hear from anyone else who attended. What did you think? Did you spend money? I actually went ahead and did a bit of holiday shopping and purchased a few pieces.

• 3 months later...

The old KFC/Harbor Inn Seafood at the intersection of Cedar Lane and W. Blue Ridge (183 & 253)is undergoing an expansion. Can't tell what its going to be yet. Hopefully it'll actually be a restaurant not just a fast food place. I think there are enough people in the area over there with the Monaghan Mill that could support more dining choices.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a for sale sign from the Furman Co on the old Parker High School. This is a great piece of property for development.

So long Parker! Spent my last two years of GHS there and, well...it was interesting. Pieces falling off the building, not being able to use the auditorium balcony for fear of collapsing, flooding, fire alarms pulled at least once a week, every drug imaginable right around the corner...you know, the best qualities a high school should have.