West Greenville Village

gs3

I still don't see how a simple name change is going to cause the area to stop revitalizing along with keeping artists along with their customers from going there. Heck, if it wasn't for GvilleSC's post I would have never even known they changed the name. I'm sure the vast majority of people living here are in the same boat as me.

I'm with gsupstate on this one. The name, logo and tagline all feel like a sad marketing attempt. When places are cool, they attract people and will develop an identity of their own. It doesn't need to be forced.

The frustrating part is that the area is full of people on First Fridays and was already making a name for itself as the Pendleton Street Arts District. I'm hoping that will continue in spite of the odd name change.

But like citylife, I don't think a name change will stop the revitalization in the area. In fact, I've heard about a lot more development on Pendleton Street lately than I have in the past 10 years here.

All we can do is keep supporting the great art/artists there and hope the progress means they'll outgrow a poorly chosen name and logo quickly.

I'm with gsupstate on this one. The name, logo and tagline all feel like a sad marketing attempt. When places are cool, they attract people and will develop an identity of their own. It doesn't need to be forced.

The frustrating part is that the area is full of people on First Fridays and was already making a name for itself as the Pendleton Street Arts District. I'm hoping that will continue in spite of the odd name change.

Well said. I bolded what, IMO, is the key point of your post.

It reminds me of when I first moved to Greenville. I came here and experienced Main Street and immediately thought, how simplistic and how cool..."MAIN" Street. There was no silly name or logo. There were no banners proclaiming Main Street as "the place to be", it was simply understood and thus it was cool. The only signage was the simple "Enjoy downtown Greenville", which was a salutation, not a proclamation. Truth be known, had Main Street had a cheesy sign saying "the place to be" or "where the action is" or "its happening here", etc, I would have had second thoughts about locating myself and the offices of my company in Greenville. Remember guys, Greenville became known and has been known for details.....natural, logical, inspired, cool details, not contrived, trying to hard, wanna-be details.

I'm not sure anyone ever said the name change to Far West End will stunt the district's growth.....I don;t see that in any post above......but I can sure tell you it makes myself and a sizeable group of my friends / like-minded individuals look at the area in a different (and less interesting) light.

All areas of Greenville need to build on what made Greenville great. Simple. Direct. Thoughtful. Detailed. Cool.

Edited by gsupstate

I agree with a lot of the sentiments expressed, in terms of avoidance of being forced or contrived, but I don't agree that any organized attempt at marketing or branding makes a 'cool' area/idea/concept 'uncool'.

I have no insight into the naming decision, but perhaps the 'Pendleton Street' moniker was avoided to prevent confusion with the town of Pendleton, which itself is historic.

I also don't think "creative edge' is truly contrived, because art is by it's very nature creative and the area is literally at the edge of the city limits.

Not sure exactly who was behind the change, but if anyone would like to share their thoughts in person the art district has a monthly meeting that is open to the public (per the website).

The next meeting is: Tuesday, May 8, 2012.

- meetings are open to the public and including non-members -

Not sure exactly who was behind the change, but if anyone would like to share their thoughts in person the art district has a monthly meeting that is open to the public (per the website).

The next meeting is: Tuesday, May 8, 2012.

- meetings are open to the public and including non-members -

Excellent. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Originally that was all going to be torn down and an apartment building built but then developer got in financial propblems, don;t know what is happening with it now but was wondering myself. Drove by a few weeks ago and the roof was gone. Havent been by since htey redid teh facade.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Article in today's Greenville News about the artist/entrepreneur movement in Greenville. 2 of the 3 artists featured have set up shop in West Greenville.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/interactive/article/20130118/BUSINESS/301180012/Greenville-s-budding-creative-industry-fuels-makers-shakers

I have a feeling this part of town is about to explode. It's full of young and talented creatives making things happen, and in turn, putting Greenville on the map. I hope the city takes note and will spearhead larger improvements in that area like streetlights, green spaces, public restrooms, etc.

Article in today's Greenville News about the artist/entrepreneur movement in Greenville. 2 of the 3 artists featured have set up shop in West Greenville.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/interactive/article/20130118/BUSINESS/301180012/Greenville-s-budding-creative-industry-fuels-makers-shakers

I have a feeling this part of town is about to explode. It's full of young and talented creatives making things happen, and in turn, putting Greenville on the map. I hope the city takes note and will spearhead larger improvements in that area like streetlights, green spaces, public restrooms, etc.

Perhaps with the possible Woodside Mill conversion, we'll see expanded investment in this area.