West Greenville Village

gs3

Liking the progression of this area. Reminds me of West Asheville. We definitely need the site to help maybe do a TIF and have some streetscaping projects done. Eventually a garage over there would be good/useful.

Great news.  In order to do a TIF, it might be necessary or at least advisable to have the property annexed to the city.  That would require contiguity to the existing city limits, which might be a problem.  

There may be county-created TIFs but I don't know of any. 

The mill is about a block away from the city line. It might be hard to annex it therefore. 

^^  Until a few years ago, the public street right of way could be used to establish contiguity, but I think that is either limited or unavailable now.  If the mill owner wants it, there PROBABLY could be a way to get contiguity, but Greenville is not as aggressive on this sort of thing as Charleston and some other cities.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

More redevelopment is headed to the area near downtown Greenville that's branded as the Village of West Greenville.

More West End townhouses in the works

The Georgia developer who turned the massive Monaghan Mill former textiles plant into a successful apartment complex along the Swamp Rabbit Trail plans to do the same with Brandon Mill just off of Pendleton Street.

Developer Pace Burt of Albany, Ga., said he recently paid $1.9 million for the Brandon Mill property and plans to put 175 loft apartments in it as a part of a $25 million renovation.

First, however, he's working to get the property listed on the National Register of Historic Places so he can claim tax credits that are key to his financing.

The Brandon Mill property consists of more than 435,000 square feet of space and more than nine acres at 25 Draper Street, according to a news release from Cushman & Wakefield {sodEmoji.|} Thalhimer, which brokered the sale.

Burt said he bought the property from Dunlop Sports Group, which is using about 150,000 square feet of space as a warehouse and offices.

"It's much better for Greenville, South Carolina, to have this building renovated than left as a warehouse," said Burt, who has redeveloped other historic buildings in Spartanburg.

Burt also said he plans to donate 100,000 square feet in Brandon Mill to a nonprofit "art incubator."

He declined to provide details about the initiative, which he said is still being planned.

He described it as a "place for creative minds to come together, not just people who are in the arts, but people who are in the business world."

"I think within three months we'll have an answer from them," Burt said about the art incubator organizers.

Asked whether Clemson University was involved in the art incubator plan, John Ballato, the university's vice president for economic development, said Clemson is always looking for ways to engage in the arts.

"The arts are central to any thriving community," Ballato said in a statement to The Greenville News. "We're excited about the possibilities that exist at the intersection of art and innovation and continue to investigate ways for our faculty, staff and students in the arts and humanities to engage this sector for growing creative jobs in Greenville, the Upstate and elsewhere." He didn't elaborate.

Greg Shelnutt, chairman of the Clemson art department, said the department has participated in discussions about the art incubator but its focus is developing and sustaining the Center for Visual Arts satellite location it announced last year in the village area at 1278 Pendleton Street.

Burt said the apartments and the incubator, if it materializes, should open for business in about two years.

The Village of West Greenville, formerly called the Pendleton Street Arts District, is characterized by a collection of unique older buildings grouped closely together along Pendleton Street.

Artists have been drawn to the area for more than a decade, and other small businesses, such as a pasta shop and communications firm, have arrived more recently.

Bluesman Mac Arnold recently opened a restaurant and music venue in the village.

Not sure if the City could annex it or not for its a few hundred feet from the current line, but Im willing to bet they will try. Anyways good news, hopefully Woodside is next. 

I can tell you my son goes to AJ Whittenberg and the education has been amazing along with the programs at the Kroc Center. I have heard Greenville High is a mixed bag, but can be among the best depending on how driven the student is. I'm not sure about Middle School. We intend to try and get our son into Dr. Phinnize J. Fisher Middle School at ICAR which looks like it might be the best when it opens.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wasn't sure whether to put this in West End or West Greenville thread, as it is in-between the two.

Plans to merge three parcels at Academy and Lawton Ave. to build a three story 12,000 SF Live/Work project.  Offices on 1st floor, condos on the other two.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2014/NOVEMBER/PlanningCommission/11-13-2014/Z-32-2014-18LawtonAvenue.pdf

Edited by vicupstate

• 4 weeks later...

Kind of impressive for the area I think.

Impressive???  What are these???  I don't see pools or many on site amenities.  Retirement homes?  Low income?  I hope the use of "typical" homes in the West Village isnt going to be used as the bar/standard to build future developments on.  It "seems" like an improvement to what is currently there, well, maybe not actually, I see they are building on top of an existing baseball field and another park space.  I really hope this isnt just stacking more of what is currently in that space in a new shell  4 stories high while eliminating park space. This is not a place that we need more of the same. Condensing and concentrating low income while removing greenspace is a recipe to re-ignite this as the high crime prostitution district again.  Anyway, I am sure that is not what is going on here... I hope.

Edited by gvegascple

Looks like it's low income housing.  Application form says its for Greenville Housing Authority

correct.  These plans have been before the neighborhood association for months.  It is more spacious, and with a greater mix of sizes, than most projects their size.  If you take a look at the housing stock they are replacing, it is a big improvement.

correct.  These plans have been before the neighborhood association for months.  It is more spacious, and with a greater mix of sizes, than most projects their size.  If you take a look at the housing stock they are replacing, it is a big improvement.

I can't actually tell by looking at the over all stock of what is there right now to be honest.  Less than half of the property even has this stock, the rest is green space.  All that I can really tell is that there will be more units, a lot more.  

• 5 months later...

There's more (or at least I haven't noticed some of them before) directional signs directing people to the "Village of West Greenville". I wonder when we will see the streetscaping and improvements to the district? I believe there is monies set aside for this upcoming fiscal year, but I'm not sure what all is included in that number.