A few random Downtown photos.

gs3

Thanks guys. :) Two of the downtown shots (the one from Wade Hampton and the one from 385 bridge) would be good before shots as The Pinnacle will slot in and the fill the space between BB&T and One? Two? Liberty. Now I'm really ready to see The Pinnacle go up. Imagine these shots with the crane....floors rising. Can't wait!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely LOVE the view of the downtown skyline driving in from Wade Hampton.  :wub:

I go to Henry's Smokehouse every chance I get just to enjoy the view.  This is such a beautiful URBAN view of Greenville that could be improved.  If only all those ugly billboards were restricted, the power lines were burried below ground, and the street lights and traffic signals were replaced with something more along the lines of what's downtown on Main Street.  :rolleyes:

I love the view near Stone Ave, too!  That one's going to look great when all the work on I-385 is finished!  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope eventually that the City of Greenville does turn its attention to Wade Hampton Blvd. Maybe after the Pleasantburg corridor starts cooking again. While W.H. does give the best skyline view, the street itself is in much need of cosmetics. I question whether 6 lanes are still needed. I'm sure at some time in the past it was, but I drive it at least twice a day and it is never crowded.

BTW, does anyone know who owns the triangle of land between Church, Stone and Wade Hampton. It is well-kept most of the time, but it is strange that nothing is there, given the traffic counts on the surrounding streets. Were there buildings there in the '60s and '70s? I know Sears use to be where Canal Insurance is now.

I question whether 6 lanes are still needed.  I'm sure at some time in the past it was, but I drive it at least twice a day and it is never crowded. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. There is no need for 6 lanes between downtown and Pleasantburg. A nice, wide brick-trimmed sidewalk (with power lines and other cables burried beneath, of course), a bike lane, and landscaping/benches/trees/etc. would be a nice replacement for the outside lanes on either side. Also, an occasional pull-off lane for bus stops.

I agree.  There is no need for 6 lanes between downtown and Pleasantburg.  A nice, wide brick-trimmed sidewalk (with power lines and other cables burried beneath, of course), a bike lane, and landscaping/benches/trees/etc. would be a nice replacement for the outside lanes on either side.  Also, an occasional pull-off lane for bus stops.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can see it now.... I LIKE, I LIKE!

I agree.  There is no need for 6 lanes between downtown and Pleasantburg.  A nice, wide brick-trimmed sidewalk (with power lines and other cables burried beneath, of course), a bike lane, and landscaping/benches/trees/etc. would be a nice replacement for the outside lanes on either side.  Also, an occasional pull-off lane for bus stops.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds great RT!

I hope eventually that the City of Greenville does turn its attention to Wade Hampton Blvd.  Maybe after the Pleasantburg corridor starts cooking again.  While W.H. does give the best skyline view, the street itself is in much need of cosmetics.  I question whether 6 lanes are still needed.  I'm sure at some time in the past it was, but I drive it at least twice a day and it is never crowded. 

BTW, does anyone know who owns the triangle of land between Church, Stone and Wade Hampton.  It is well-kept most of the time, but it is strange that nothing is there, given the traffic counts on the surrounding streets.  Were there buildings there in the '60s and '70s?  I know Sears use to be where Canal Insurance is now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There used to be a couple of storefronts and maybe an old gas station on the left side of WH between Church St. and Stone (which really isn't a spur). They were torn down some time in the early to mid 1980's? Maybe even more recently. I just remember that they existed.

Sears' immediate successor in the Canal Insurance building was J. P. Stevens corporate offices (except for a small executive presence, mainly Whitney Stevens, in NYC). They moved in after Sears went to Haywood Mall. Were there till J.P. Stevens was sold off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Greek Orthodox Cathedral in downtown. This shot was taken from the top of Richardson Street Garage aiming toward Paris Mountain. B)

IMGA0100.jpg

Skyliner, this is a FANTASTIC shot!!! The angle is awesome! Am I correct that the buildings you can see in the upper left on Paris Mountain are Villaggio di Montebello? Where were you standing to take this shot? I love this shot becuase one would never know this is downtown....looks much like a shot I have of a cathedral from Bassano, Italy.

Thanks, gsupstate. Yes, I would have to suppose that those buildings in the distance on Piney Mountain are indeed part of Villagio di Montebello. I shot this one from the top of the Richardson Street Garage. You can see the edge of the Bell South building on the left extremity of the photo, and its shadow extending over a portion of the cathedral. I agree that it is remarkable how rural this shot seems. To think that you can aim from several other directions and get the skyline towering over the church is amazing when you see this shot. B)

Archived