Greensboro Urban Loop (Painter Boulevard)

Roadgeek

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do like the road a whole lot better than what it currently looked like with 4 lanes and a guardrail median.

Ohhhh yes, how could i forget that stretch of I-40? It was the NUMBER 1 traffic report every single morning on 98.7 FM (formely Kiss FM, The Point. Think its called the The Zone now right?) and the Good Morning Show. Does anybody remember that traffic reporters name from the early 90s at WFMY? This was the time when Tom Britt was at WTVD back then, not at WGHPiedmont 8. The brothers of corn were alive and doing very well back then: Don Ross, Roy Ackland and Cecil Chandler :D

Actually 98.7 has gone from KISS to Zone to currently nor Simon "We play everting." Alot of the news stations around here change their traffic reporters so often but the one that seems to keep them for a long time is WGHP. I will never forget when my dad took me to Raleigh for the first time and we were in the car listening to the radio and the traffic report came on on Oldies 93 and the name of their traffic watcher was "Sky Angel Karen." :rofl: I though how stupid of a name that was to be broadcasted over the entire area.

• 5 months later...

I realize this may not be the correct forum to address this in but as a user of UP I know how knowledgeable its members are. So any help would be greatly appreciated. If you can help please PM me. I work for traffic.com we provide live traffic information to the media and other clients. We are starting coverage for the triad soon and it just so happens to be my responsibility. I was wondering if anybody could tell me the exit numbers and names for Business 85. I have found so much conflicting information. I

I still hate the idea of NCDOT putting up Business 85 signs along the road. I think the NCDOT should change it to I-685 because it will probably save up the business along that road. Plus it is like freeway west and east of the Death Valley. All NCDOT have to do is upgrade the Death Valley and it will be fine. I cant say much about the I-40 being rerouted in the bypass. The existing I-40 though Greensboro to the Death Valley should be 3di though.

The western section was scheduled to open July 2007. Hope the construction speeds up, and it will go all the way to Bryan Blvd. I dont know how many miles it will be. When the western section is open, I-40 and I-73 will take the south part (the one that goes towards the I-85). I-840 and Future I-73, will take the north section (the one that goes to Bryan Blvd) When this happens, the current I-40 will become Business 40 (I dont like the idea.. it should be 3di)

The western section was scheduled to open July 2007. Hope the construction speeds up, and it will go all the way to Bryan Blvd. I dont know how many miles it will be. When the western section is open, I-40 and I-73 will take the south part (the one that goes towards the I-85). I-840 and Future I-73, will take the north section (the one that goes to Bryan Blvd) When this happens, the current I-40 will become Business 40 (I dont like the idea.. it should be 3di)

I can't wait till it opens! :w00t: But they've only got a year to finish it if they want to keep on schedule. I'm a little worried about that because I've seen the construction and they haven't even started paving yet on most of it. The better hurry up.

What's the deal with the lighting on I-40? They installed lighting on the exit/entrance ramps last year, and I have yet to see them turned on. They also have provisions to install them in the median divider, like the ones in Burlington. It would be nice to have good lighting on 40, like Charlotte does on I-85.

Yea it looks like there is suppose to be lighting on the dividing wall along I-40 in West Greensboro becasue you can see the slots where the light pole are suppose to go. I think they make the highway look cool. I-85/40 in Burlington looks nice with them.

i agree. it has always bugged me that much of i-40 in greensboro is dark. whereas almost all of alamance county is lit up. the only thing i can figure is that maybe they don't want to have lights where there is housing close to the highway.

i agree. it has always bugged me that much of i-40 in greensboro is dark. whereas almost all of alamance county is lit up. the only thing i can figure is that maybe they don't want to have lights where there is housing close to the highway.

there are alot of subdivisions near the highway in Alamance County. Greenway Park my neighborhood in Graham is located adjacent to the highway around exit 148. You can hear the highway 24 hours a day. (I sure wish we could get some nice cound walls around here). I-85/40 though alamance is one of the busiest in state along with I-40 in Greensboro. Having holes drilled in the median is a good sign that they're will be lights along I-40 along that stretch in the future.

If the state used the "cut-off" style lights, as opposed to the drop-lens style, this would decrease glare, and direct more of the light onto the highway, with less light trespass into nearby subdivisions. I guess probably, as Jerseyman4 stated earlier, they may install them when the I-840 interchange is complete. I saw a pile of street light poles, arms, and message signs stored in an old parking lot on Burnt Poplar Rd the other day.

I didnt know that NCDOT is going to have I-785 spur from Greensboro to Danville VA planned few years ago. I guess this is obviously a good news for US 29 freeway from Greensboro north to Danville, VA.. US 29 between the Death Valley (Greensboro, NC) and the Business 29 split (Reidsville) will need to be upgraded to Interstate stands really bad. I know that I-785 will be rerouted on the I-840 Beltway on the east side of the city.. when it happens, it will be the only second time US will have a 3di and 3di share the same road.. (The first is I-271 and I-480).. it will be cool! What do you guys think?

YEah I read abt it on one of the sites before... IF MD and VA is willing to sign it I-83 along the US 29 corridor, that means Greensboro will have like 4 major interstates (I-40, I-85 and Future I-73) It will be kinda odd for a city that small like Greensboro to have 4 major interstates.. but that will be nice.. Why dont NC think abt extending I-83 southeast along US 421 corridor.. and have it end at I-95 near Fayetteville.. ti will be like a western bypass for the I-95 traffic (sort of)

Archived