Greensboro Urban Loop (Painter Boulevard)

Roadgeek

YEah I read abt it on one of the sites before... IF MD and VA is willing to sign it I-83 along the US 29 corridor, that means Greensboro will have like 4 major interstates (I-40, I-85 and Future I-73) It will be kinda odd for a city that small like Greensboro to have 4 major interstates.. but that will be nice.. Why dont NC think abt extending I-83 southeast along US 421 corridor.. and have it end at I-95 near Fayetteville.. ti will be like a western bypass for the I-95 traffic (sort of)

Hey, that's not a bad idea.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An expanded I-83 makes a lot of sense. Virginias US 29 corridor connects about 30% of Virginias population and is continually seeing bypass relocations to make more and more of this highway limited access. The biggest problem by far is north of the Warrenton area where it becomes an congested arterial-boulevard approaching I-66. That by far will be the biggest problem of US 29 receiving any future upgrades. Then, the problem grows greater once on I-66 which is only 4 lane up until you get closer to the Beltway with the HOV lanes.

an extended I-83 would all of a sudded turn hwy 29 in Greensboro into a major artery interstate. It shortens the drive dramatically for people coming from DC going to Atlanta. Currently they have to take I-95 to I-85 then go through the Triangle area to Greensboro.

I suppose if they re going to build a US 29 Warrenton bypass where it will hit the I-66 either from the west (I dont see the east bypass cuz of congested traffic).. then from there I-83 will just go up to I-70 on a new road or follow some other existing roads, i dont know. As for the DC to Greensboro driving hours.. it probably will reduce more time on Interstates, however when I-83 is finished, traffic congestions will always happen.. especially on I-66 area.....

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I looked at the NCDOT website about how many lanes they are going to do with the Urban loop. So far, the new I-85 and (Future I-40) bypass from Exit 119 to 131 is around 6 to 8 lanes overall. The future I-40/I-73 Western loop bypass (from I-85 up to Future I-840 and Bus 40 interchange) will be 8 lanes overall. The west side of I-840 (and Future I-73) will be 8 lanes upwards to Bryan Blvd interchange (Future I-73) but as far as the rest of the loop will be like 4 lanes?! WTF.. I think the loop should be more than 4 lanes long (6 to 8 lanes is good enough).. What do u think?

(I drove on the future I-840/I-785 section from I-40/I-85 north to US 70 and it is like 4 lanes total. If the traffic volume is gonna increase on the Painter in the years to come, I DONT think the 4 lanes total will handle that much traffic..

Yeah... right now, it shouldn't be an issue. 15 years from now (if it's built by then), that stretch will be mayhem. You have the new mall coming up, tens of thousands of homes planned and being built in eastern Guilford County (from north to south). I still think it's stupid that they stopped at Hwy 70 and didn't complete the road all the way up to Hwy. 29. The northern portion of the loop from Battleground to 29 isn't as sparsely populated as one may expect because you have so much suburban sprawl out there. It's much more heavily populated than the I-85 bypass segment. I could see it mirroring I-40 in Cary during rush hour heading east right before you get to the Beltline.

That stretch from 77 to Pineville and Ballentyne? YUCK!! :sick: That's the worst part of I-485 so far. I hope the NCDOT doesn't make the same mistake in Greensboro.

yeah, 485 is ridiculous in that it's 3 lanes a side where it's not really needed and 2 lanes a side where it should be 3. i hope they don't make this same mistake here.

• 5 months later...

I'd be very surprised if the SW portion opened this summer, several portions are still not finished being graded and therefore nowhere near the paving stage. But if it were the same poeple who completed the Piedmont Parkway extension then maybe they'll be done with the entire loop by then. :)

according to a number of sources, the southwest segment is suppose to be complete this year. Most likely at the end of the year. They are also working on part of the northwest segment between I-40 and Bryan Boulevard near the airport. I know they want to have that segment open by the time the FedEx Hub opens.

The part near the Vandalia Rd already has a good amount of concrete, but the stretch near Bridford Pkwy is still red dirt. Hopefully, they won't overbuild on this loop ( I-285 Atlanta :sick: ) and it will stay a smooth commute. By the way there are no gas stations on the southern portion yet.

The part near the Vandalia Rd already has a good amount of concrete, but the stretch near Bridford Pkwy is still red dirt. Hopefully, they won't overbuild on this loop ( I-285 Atlanta :sick: ) and it will stay a smooth commute. By the way there are no gas stations on the southern portion yet.

Do you know when Gas stations will come to this portion?

I think the Youngs Mill Rd. interchange is the next to boom. There are so many housing developments that have popped up within the last 5 years on Youngs Mill and Lee Street up towards old 85 with more to come. Also remember that the GURP will be located just past old 85 on Lee St as well.

Archived