Greensboro Urban Loop (Painter Boulevard)

Roadgeek

While doing some research, I found these photos of the I-40/I-840/I-73 portion of the loop near PTI and Wendover:

i840wfriendlyint907.jpg

Future I-840 (I-73) / West Friendly Avenue (Exit 2) interchange

i40wendoverint907.jpg

The future I-40 (I-73) interchange with Wendover Avenue

i40hpr907a.jpg

Looking westbound from the High Point Road bridge over the Future I-40 (I-73) section

i40hpr907b.jpg

Looking eastbound from the High Point Road bridge along future I-40 (I-73)

(photos courtesy of http://www.duke.edu/~rmalme/i73seg4.html)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me, or do any of you think the DOT didn't make this new section of I-40 wide enough? It looks like it will be 3 lanes in each direction.

Its probabally enough for now considering much of the current I-40 west is 4 to 5 lanes in each direction. I have a feeling most will still travel along current I-40 because in reality the loop adds miles. You know the saying the closest distance between two points is a straight line. Well the loop curves and is not a straight line.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess would be mid December to early January. They still have to iron out the kinks on the "I-40 curve" by getting rid of the temporary median (see first photo) and finish putting the rest of the signage up. Though who knows how things are going for the rest of the loop?

What problem do you forsee? Other than traffic merging from new 40 west to old 40 east having to yield, I don't forsee major problems. This portion of the ramp before the merge will have very limited use as only those who need to change direction on I-40 to go back through the city, or who miss the new Wendover exit and need to go back there, etc, will use the interchange from that side. I anticipate the other half of this ramp to see heavy use, however.

The way the two ramps merge together in the last photo looks like a future problem area to me.

I guess we should soon see I-840 shields on the western loop soon (north of I-40). I assume the segment between I-40 and Bryan Blvd should be nearly complete as well. I love the interchanges though. Engineers are doing a much better job in terms of bridge design/asthetics. Those long flyover ramps are gorgeous.

Last I heard the Bryan to 40 section should open in the next week (who knows what the holiday will do to that timing) and the 40 to 85 section will open at the end of the year.

Do you think people would still use the beltway if it were a toll road? We all know that toll roads are coming to NC very soon given the current budget crisis and I wonder if they have planned for this in their current construction plans for these loop systems. This seems like the perfect time to implement toll road in NC.

/Not saying I'm for toll roads I just know they are coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived