Greensboro Urban Loop (Painter Boulevard)

Roadgeek

I've mentioned this before, but does this not make perfect sense to you guys? It may look a little confusing at first, but this is how I think our highways ought to be...

urban_loop.jpg

The Breakdown:

-Keep I-40 where it currently is

-Let I-73 follow 68 to I-40 and be signed where US 421 used to be.

-Let I-73 exit off onto 220 south (where it was originally planned to go)

-Restore I-85 to its original location like I-40 did last year

-Upgrade US 29 through Greensboro to interstate standards and sign that portion 785/US 29 as originally planned

-Sign US Routes 70/220/421 where they used to go (Wendover, Freeman Mill Rd, Market Street)

-Last but certainly not least, sign the whole loop as 840 and nothing more

Benefits of doing so:

-Interstates 840, 73, and 785 would all have signage and no more 'FUTURE' signs up all over the area

-What is now Business 85, Highway 68 and US 29 would get interstate funding

-"Death Valley" would only carry I-40, I-85 and US 29

-Less confusion (I hope)

So basically, our highways would be like Atlanta's. Let the mainline highways 40/85/73 run through the city, and allow through traffic to bypass on I-840.

Good idea?

I pretty much agree with that map, epically with 785 coming all the way through Greensboro, where you can some parts of the skyline. I do believe that the northern part of the 840 loop should still be made, however. And if we to expand 785 through Greensboro, I think that they may have to actually build the highway a different way between Cone Blvd and I-85 because US-29 is so narrow. One method may be to build 785 ABOVE the existing US 29 route in this fashion(expect it will be 4-lanes on both sides of the Interstate):

This pic is from St. Louis BTW

2rzq3k9.gif

It probably sounds a little crazy because this would cost a lot, but to replace ALL of the bridges that cross over US 29 would be a pain in the...ya know. Plus, if 785 is built this way, there will be a much more clear view of Greensboro's skyline, making it easier for out-of-towners to find it. It will even bring more activity to downtown. Do know if this would work but I dont know that much about highways so bare with me, lol!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current section of I-40 through Greensboro can not handle the added traffic associated with re-routing. The only way I see it working just to entertain your idea would be to sign the loop as I-685, add multiple electronic signage that includes the travel times to the I-85 I-40 split and recommends the use of I-685 for traffic headed to Charlotte and Atlanta, and finally the control cities for I-685 while headed eastbound on I-85 would have to say Charlotte, Atlanta. I-785 through Greensboro was a great idea but we will never see it happen now. The money it would take to get that highway up to interstate standards would not justify the cost. Imagine rebuilding almost all of the bridges, adding 6 foot shoulders, closing interchanges such as Florida St,modernizing interchanges, building service roads, sound barriers, NIMBYs, the list goes on. I will admit I am guilty of thinking what might have been had some serious thought and investment been considered. If you read earlier in this topic i mention some of these.

I pretty much agree with that map, epically with 785 coming all the way through Greensboro, where you can some parts of the skyline. I do believe that the northern part of the 840 loop should still be made, however. And if we to expand 785 through Greensboro, I think that they may have to actually build the highway a different way between Cone Blvd and I-85 because US-29 is so narrow. One method may be to build 785 ABOVE the existing US 29 route in this fashion(expect it will be 4-lanes on both sides of the Interstate):

This pic is from St. Louis BTW

2rzq3k9.gif

It probably sounds a little crazy because this would cost a lot, but to replace ALL of the bridges that cross over US 29 would be a pain in the...ya know. Plus, if 785 is built this way, there will be a much more clear view of Greensboro's skyline, making it easier for out-of-towners to find it. It will even bring more activity to downtown. Do know if this would work but I dont know that much about highways so bare with me, lol!

thats similar to the Chicago Skyway. Thats a good idea. The only problem would be the cost of basically building one massive long bridge. The existing Highway 29 between Philips Ave and I-40 will never be interstate standards because it is indeed narrow through there. But I certainly love the idea of building a new highway above highway 29. Streets/highways above other roads is pretty common in big cities, especially Chicago where expanding new lanes outward is impossible. A 7 mile highway bridge today would cost around $800 plus million. Thats about what it costs for the construction of the entire 46 mile urban loop around Greensboro.

Do you know the real reason why I-40 was put back on the old route? It was because the visitors and convention bureau raised a hissy fit. since I-40 has been put back on the old route, traffic is jammed pack during rush hour while the southwestern loop only has a hand full of cars.

thats similar to the Chicago Skyway. Thats a good idea. The only problem would be the cost of basically building one massive long bridge. The existing Highway 29 between Philips Ave and I-40 will never be interstate standards because it is indeed narrow through there. But I certainly love the idea of building a new highway above highway 29. Streets/highways above other roads is pretty common in big cities, especially Chicago where expanding new lanes outward is impossible. A 7 mile highway bridge today would cost around $800 plus million. Thats about what it costs for the construction of the entire 46 mile urban loop around Greensboro.

Do you know the real reason why I-40 was put back on the old route? It was because the visitors and convention bureau raised a hissy fit. since I-40 has been put back on the old route, traffic is jammed pack during rush hour while the southwestern loop only has a hand full of cars.

Yeah, only real issue I see would be the cost. But traffic is becoming so much more common that such a plan may be needed at some point, even soon. But seeing something like that in Greensboro would be great! The skyline would clearly be visible from the highway, making it easy for people to locate downtown, bringing in more activity. I hope NCDOT would atleast consider it, even though the cost would be sky high. And the story of how I-40 got relocated, wow is all I can say about that. Greensboro needs to take better hold of it's priorities instead of just listening to outsiders all the time.

The current section of I-40 through Greensboro can not handle the added traffic associated with re-routing. The only way I see it working just to entertain your idea would be to sign the loop as I-685, add multiple electronic signage that includes the travel times to the I-85 I-40 split and recommends the use of I-685 for traffic headed to Charlotte and Atlanta, and finally the control cities for I-685 while headed eastbound on I-85 would have to say Charlotte, Atlanta. I-785 through Greensboro was a great idea but we will never see it happen now. The money it would take to get that highway up to interstate standards would not justify the cost. Imagine rebuilding almost all of the bridges, adding 6 foot shoulders, closing interchanges such as Florida St,modernizing interchanges, building service roads, sound barriers, NIMBYs, the list goes on. I will admit I am guilty of thinking what might have been had some serious thought and investment been considered. If you read earlier in this topic i mention some of these.

That was basically my point. Sign 40/85/73 through the city, but use control cities for the loop such as Charlotte/Asheboro/Atlanta so that thru traffic would bypass; Not necessarily adding additional traffic to current I-40.

And Cityboi, you haven't seen jammed pack traffic until you've driven on I-77 through Charlotte at rush hour. That makes I-40 in Greensboro seem like a breeze :lol:

That was basically my point. Sign 40/85/73 through the city, but use control cities for the loop such as Charlotte/Asheboro/Atlanta so that thru traffic would bypass; Not necessarily adding additional traffic to current I-40.

And Cityboi, you haven't seen jammed pack traffic until you've driven on I-77 through Charlotte at rush hour. That makes I-40 in Greensboro seem like a breeze :lol:

ha ha I'll bet! They need the HOV lanes down there lol

Yeah, only real issue I see would be the cost. But traffic is becoming so much more common that such a plan may be needed at some point, even soon. But seeing something like that in Greensboro would be great! The skyline would clearly be visible from the highway, making it easy for people to locate downtown, bringing in more activity. I hope NCDOT would atleast consider it, even though the cost would be sky high. And the story of how I-40 got relocated, wow is all I can say about that. Greensboro needs to take better hold of it's priorities instead of just listening to outsiders all the time.

I agree. It would be nice if they did something like that over highway 29. But even if the money were available for such a project, Greensboro leaders are too small minded to take on a project like that unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

i738400110.jpg

the state has determined that finishing Greensboro's beltway is a high priority. The entire loop may be complete by 2020.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/07/29/article/2_sections_of_greensboro_loop_tapped_for_completion

On the down side the state ranked Winston-Salem dead last as a priority. The state saw the construction of loops around Fayetteville and Greenville more important. How Winston gets ranked last is beyond me. But there will be no funding for the Winston-Salem beltway for the next 10 years which means it will be after 2020 before construction even begins on the first leg of the beltway in the twin city. If it weren't for the lawsuits ovr the years, the beltway might be further along than Greensboro's is today. Charlotte officals were upset about Greensboro getting funding for its southwestern leg some years back. They felt completeing the Charlotte loop was more important than a barely used southwestern loop in Greensboro. When they put I-40 back on the old route, it took a lot of traffic off the southwestern leg.

cities that are getting funding for loop projects this decade.

Charlotte

Greensboro

Durham

Fayetteville

Wilmington

Greenville

I'm 32 years old, at the rate thse projects are going, by the time I'll see the the economic impact of I-73/74, i'll be 70 years old lol. The loop projects are moving quicky for Greensboro but I-73/74 nationwide is moving very slowly.

• 7 months later...

Greensboro urban loop segments moved up because of available money. The right of way for one segment in the north will be purchased this year. That hadn't been scheduled to occur for another eight years. Greensboro's beltway will be complete much sooner than expected. Work in Charlotte and Wilmington also will be accelerated. No additional money exists to add new Loop projects to the construction schedule which means it may be sometime after 2020 before construction even begins on the Winston-Salem beltway. It could be closer to 2030 before the loop in Winston-Salem is even complete.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/03/04/article/urban_loop_segments_get_moved_up

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=164428&catid=57

• 4 years later...

Greensboro's beltway which will encircle the entire city is taking shape. The majority of the loop is complete and will alleviate traffic across the city and help spur development. Currently construction is underway on the northwestern loop and it will include one of the longest bridges in the region which will span almost a mile long over wetlands. It will actually be a pair of bridges (for north and southbound lanes) and they will stand 40 feet over the ground.

http://www.greensboro.com/news/bridge-for-greensboro-urban-loop-will-be-among-piedmont-triad/article_606c3426-2da6-11e5-a83d-235bf8e4b1e8.html

55a984612bbb9.image.jpg

55a9360ee3848.image.jpg

55a9361a857ea.image.jpg

Archived