Greensboro Urban Loop (Painter Boulevard)

Roadgeek

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info Cityboi, though it'll likely be December or January given this is NCDOT that we're dealing with. :lol: I remember reading somewhere that the whole remainder of the loop from Lawndale to 70 won't be finished until 2020 at the latest.

well th nothern section between Highway 29 and Bryan Blvd is not funded yet so we could be looking at somewhere between 2015 and 2020. But even without that section, the majority of the beltway will be complete after this year.

Yes. The first beltway (I-440) was a bypass around what used to be the outer reaches of the city was completed in 1984. The new beltway (I-540) is currently unfinished, but operational from Hwy 55 near Cary/Apex/Durham on the west side, traveling through north Raleigh, then ending at the new US 64 bypass in Knightdale.

As far as Greensboro's outer loop, I wouldn't mind the wait because there are road improvement projects planned on main arteries between Bryan Blvd and US 29 that interchange with the loop. I know for a fact that Church St and Yanceyville north of Wendover during rush hour are at capacity right now.

doesnt Raleigh have 2 beltways?

I think that interchange will look most impressive on the new highways coming north on the future I-40 or south from Bryan Blvd from future I-840. Vertically, it seems that the current mainline freeways run through the middle of the interchange.

Here are some vague photos of the progress of the beltway interchange crossing over 40:

1078577948_fee5aa9eac_b.jpg

1077722045_6e0e05b791_b.jpg

1078584230_d23cc24f8e_b.jpg

1077728525_3c4d9eba3d_b.jpg

Here's a mock up of what the future I-40, Bus. 40, and I-73 interchange will look like. Not exactly the most land conserving, is it? :P

dd-4.jpg

Much thanks for this. :thumbsup: This is the first time I actually have seen this diagram anywhere. Looks like that Green 40 to 840 North ramp is gonna be interesting. :unsure:

here is an aerial of the I-40/I-840 interchange in west Greensboro. There is at least one stack bridge in this interchange. These interchanges move traffic faster than the obsolete cloverleaf interchange.

i-840interchange.jpg

The I-85/new I-40/ Business 85 interchange near Grandover

i-840interchange2.jpg

Jeeze.... :wacko: Thanks for the photos!

I've traveled 40 many times this week on my way to Chapel Hill and Bald Head Island and thought about the confusion that DOT is about to make for drivers in a few months regarding changing Interstate 40 to Business 40. I'm surprised the city of Greensboro wasn't up in arms about this. How do you all feel about this?

I hear ya, my friend and I were driving back from Bald Head Island late Friday night and we missed the turn near Mcleansville Road on 40 ( :rolleyes: don't know how we did that). Instead of turning around we continued on the new stretch of 85 neither one of us had traveled before and were surprised at how complex that interchange was. We also noticed how busy it was at that hour of night and why DOT didn't go ahead and make it 4 lanes each way instead of 3.

I know the area so I don't get lost, however, I strongly disagree with the green interstates and if I were an outsider, I would be very confused! Green 40 needs a 3di designation from one end of the loop to the other. Green 85 from the green 40/green 85 interchange near Randleman Rd down to the new bypass should receive either a spur or 3di designation. When I think of green interstates I think of green 95/US 301 in Fayetteville with traffic lights, turning lanes, etc.... not 6, 8, and 10 lane divided highways separated by a concrete barrier.

Jeeze.... :wacko: Thanks for the photos!

I've traveled 40 many times this week on my way to Chapel Hill and Bald Head Island and thought about the confusion that DOT is about to make for drivers in a few months regarding changing Interstate 40 to Business 40. I'm surprised the city of Greensboro wasn't up in arms about this. How do you all feel about this?

I know the area so I don't get lost, however, I strongly disagree with the green interstates and if I were an outsider, I would be very confused! Green 40 needs a 3di designation from one end of the loop to the other. Green 85 from the green 40/green 85 interchange near Randleman Rd down to the new bypass should receive either a spur or 3di designation. When I think of green interstates I think of green 95/US 301 in Fayetteville with traffic lights, turning lanes, etc.... not 6, 8, and 10 lane divided highways separated by a concrete barrier.

I feel the same way. I wish DOT had scrapped the plans for the new 85 and used that money to widen and modernize Death Valley like they did in Durham. I've noticed a few hotels and gas stations along Randleman and South Elm-Eugene that have gone out of business due to the new bypass. I am fed up with how they build a loop around a city and then declare the old route a business interstate. Why couldn't they just leave it as US 220, 29, 421, and 70?

Archived