Greensboro Urban Loop (Painter Boulevard)

Roadgeek

It'll be named after some politician just as most of the freeways in NC. Instead of just south Greensboro beltway, Greensboro Bypass or something like that. Hey Greensboro can just call it "New 85" like in Winston-Salem where they still use New 40. Simple enough

Hopefully something with the word "freeway" or "beltway" attached to it.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The all wise and knowing NCDOT was trying to keep that section of the Greensboro Bypass from having 4 interstates multiplexed. NCDOT also was trying to make I-840's direction be simply east or west. Now if NCDOT had simply improved that existing section of freeway heading towards Four Seasons Mall then they wouldn't have had this problem. This is the last time for me saying this, but current I-40 really should be given a 3di, x40 designation from the airport to the former I-40/85 split.

This is what the network of freeways in the Triad may resemble come 2025. Remniscent of the DFW or B-W network of freeways with the loops around principal cities and multiple freeways connecting the 2. By then I'd safely bet than the metro population will be well over 2 million and contiguous with the Triangle and Charlotte metros, as well.

(From a 2005 WSJ article)

roadimprov_lg.gif

The airport connector is the worst idea ive ever heard. I doubt I-40 will be at capacity any time soon, In the mean time they could add an extra lane to business 40 (heck even make it interstate standard), Improve existing roads, and maybe add one north-south boulevard in the area. That would be alot cheaper than creating a new multilane freeway that no one would pay 2 dollars to drive on.

The airport connector is the worst idea ive ever heard. I doubt I-40 will be at capacity any time soon, In the mean time they could add an extra lane to business 40 (heck even make it interstate standard), Improve existing roads, and maybe add one north-south boulevard in the area. That would be alot cheaper than creating a new multilane freeway that no one would pay 2 dollars to drive on.

Here is a better idea...take that money alotted for the toll freeway and put it towards commter rail :) We already have I-40 and business 40 connecting Greensboro and Winston-Salem. What the hell do we need a third freeway for?

On the way home from Winston-Salem today, I spotted a new sign on the future beltway. It was near a bridge going over I-40 which will be I-840 East.

Since I was unable to take a picture of it, I recreated it with Kurumi's SignMaker. Yes, Friendly Ave. was spelled that way on the real sign. :rofl:

This is getting exciting! :w00t:

post-4608-1189962637_thumb.jpg

On the way home from Winston-Salem today, I spotted a new sign on the future beltway. It was near a bridge going over I-40 which will be I-840 East.

Since I was unable to take a picture of it, I recreated it with Kurumi's SignMaker. Yes, Friendly Ave. was spelled that way on the real sign. :rofl:

This is getting exciting! :w00t:

post-4608-1189962637_thumb.jpg

There's another sign goof that's been there for a while on I-85 bus/I-40 west just before the Randleman Rd bridge that reads Piedmont Triad Air Port, instead of Airport.

I hope and pray that no new mall is built on Bryan Blvd or Battleground. Western GSO is already filled with fine shopping and dining options. Village at N. Elm on the north side, Jefferson Village at New Garden is very close by. Wendover would be 2 exits away from the airport, Friendly is basically a straight shot down Bryan until it turns into Benjamin 5 minutes away (ok, i speed!), and Four Seasons on the other side of the belt. I'd be afraid that if a new major generic mall/shopping center would be built there, Four Seasons and probably Wendover would definitely see their demise. Don't forget that a new major lifestyle center is planned for the southeast side of the city as well which I think is a better strategic location given the overlap of I-40/85 and shorter distance around the city.

I'd rather see the area between the beltway and the airport turn into a major hub for the business traveler or other type of visitor with hotels, a truckstop/discount gas station, etc. Bryan Blvd is really a straight shot into downtown and will soon intersect with a major thoroughfare to provide easier mobility around the city. If we truly want to see improved air traffic at PTI, what good will a new mega mall/shopping center do 1 mile away with no lodging or other amenities... especially in a region that's loaded with shopping already?

It probabally far enough away. developers have salivatating for this area of town for years and now that there will be major highway networks there, expect to see som major development.

I hope and pray that no new mall is built on Bryan Blvd or Battleground. Western GSO is already filled with fine shopping and dining options. Village at N. Elm on the north side, Jefferson Village at New Garden is very close by. Wendover would be 2 exits away from the airport, Friendly is basically a straight shot down Bryan until it turns into Benjamin 5 minutes away (ok, i speed!), and Four Seasons on the other side of the belt. I'd be afraid that if a new major generic mall/shopping center would be built there, Four Seasons and probably Wendover would definitely see their demise. Don't forget that there's a proposal for a new major lifestyle center on the southeast side of the city as well which I think is a better strategic location given the overlap of I-40/85 and shorter distance around the city.

I'd rather see the area between Bryan Blvd and the airport turn into a major hub for the business traveler or other type of visitor with hotels, a truckstop/discount gas station, etc. Bryan Blvd is really a straight shot into downtown and will soon intersect with a major thoroughfare to provide easier mobility around the city. If we truly want to see improved air traffic at PTI, what good will a new mega mall/shopping center do 1 mile away with no lodging or other amenities... especially in a region that's loaded with shopping already?

that sounds like a good idea

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived