The Death Penalty

pvenne

are you for, against, or unsure of, the death penalty? why?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. are you for, against, or unsure of, the death penalty? why?

• for it, of course.
    • against it, duh.
    • unsure.
    • depends.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i for one am against it cause i woulnt want to picture myself going to the chair, and wouldnt wish that on anyone else no matter what they had done. people often ask me: what if someone raped your sister or killed your mom, then what would your view of the death penalty be? i respond that i would feel like killing them myself, and if given the chance, probably would kill them myself. but something about being killed in the way death row prisoners are is distrubing. one shouldnt know they are going to die, it is as if you were on a plane and saw yourself headed toward the ground, its just the worst feeling i could possibly imagine for anyone to experience. anyone else's views...all perspectives welcome and you can be certain i will respect your views regardless of my degree of agreement with them.

I fully support it. I'm in Criminal Justice and some people simply are not capable of change and will continue to kill and rape. It's not always just a matter of who they have already killed or raped but who else they will if not stopped.

Prison is too overcrowded and is actually a paradise these days. I could go on about that too.

My only dislike is the potential for the innocents to be put to death. Perhaps though, it's better for them to be executed and go to heaven, if they are religious, than rot in a cell for life.

interesting, two "for-its". thanks for your inoput on the subject viper. see, i too am against putting the potentially innocent to death, i dont think it is worth it...

and as far as the overcrowded prisons go, i would have to say that we should revise our criminal justice system to ensure that the "real" bad guys are locked up for good and those that shouldnt be in jail arent put there. foor instance: my sister has always had problems, she has always hung around the wrong crowd, but she is not a "bad" person like she came across as in 2001. that year, her boyfriend (whom she should have know better than to hang around with) was busted selling cocaine to a fed across state lines and indicted on federal drug charges....along with my sis. even though she was just there, she was charged with conspiracy to distribute, or some damn thing like that just for being present (which i can understand)...but get this, the prosecutor was trying to fry her because it makes him look good and adds to his list of accomplishments and thereby increases his salary...but in doing so, he would be delivering my sis a minimum mandatory sentence of 10 years. she was found innocent by jury, thank God. but my point is that the whole trial was a waste of time because it doesnt address the root problems that lead to the drug trafficking in america, and it almost nailed a good person for making a bad choice. good people make bad choices and the sentences they receive for doing so shouldnt outweigh the severity of their crimes. i can just see it now, my sister sitting in a federal prison in kansas for hanging out with some idiot who sold drugs...like that makes the world any better and it totally destroys someones life and their family. keep these people out of jail and put them to some sort of constructive use (100 years of community service is better than 10 years in fed prison), and then we can save the prisons for people who belong there and prevent the death penalty and its possibility of killing the innocent.

everyone: lemme know what you think about this idea -- send all convicted murderers, rapists and any other offenses that are right now dealt with via the death penalty, and send them to a fenced in, monitored island where they have to live, free of cells, with all the other criminals similar to themselves. if they truly are unfit for society, then this takes care of their presence, and at the same time cuts down on costs (i would suggest no food, clothing, etc for them...they could catch it themselves or starve...which would still be better than the death penalty because it would leave them some choice and hope)....and whats better...if they were TRULY unfit for society, then they could prove it by killing the other prisoners. this sounds very odd, i can imagine peoples responses, but honestly, just fence off an island, video-monitor it and give them all ankle bracelets to make sure no one escapes and then let them fend for themseleves...just remove them from civilized society altogether...after a while, they would take care of eachother. and this seems like the price to pay -- if you act like a violent criminal you should be forced to live like one and around other violent criminals....everyone here would die anyway, just not so formally as with the D.P. and they would be punished by the other "inmates" on the island, i would almost bet on it. just a crazy idea i thought about once and thought id throw it out there for reflection....not like it would ever happen, but hey...

Our prison system is definately out of whack in a bad way. Why should prisoners get 3 squares, cable tv, ps2's (playing Grand Theft Auto)... all for committing a crime. There are had-rworking people out there who don't even get that much.

Anyway, I am for it. Clear out the overcrowded prisons. They don't just sentence anyone for these crimes, and those who get it deserve it. You can't have compassion for these people. They are CRIMINALS remember. Would you have wanted Ted Bundy to stay alive with the possibility of somehow getting out (again)? I think not.

you are absolutely right. but i am still against it. you know, i think there are only a handful of countries that execute more of their own citizens per year than the u.s.....and iran is one of them,i think it is iran, china, and some other mid east country and then the u.s......so this says something about the rest of the worlds view on the subject. not that that matters, i just found it interesting.

another thing: what about when all white juries convict black people in the south, or similar situations? and you do know that in florida there are more than just a few mentally ill prisoners on death row (i mean full-blown retards) and florida also executes children. just food for thought...this is some of teh stuff that has shaped my opinion on the subject. please everyone continue to share what has shaped your own.

I would be for it if only our government could be a little more efficient in determining guilt or innocence. As it stands right now, there have been far too many people who have been convicted of crimes they did not commit for me to think of the death penalty as a viable option anymore. Once you kill them, thats it. No amount of saying your sorry and no amount of money you could give the wrongfully accused family will ever bring them back.

They need to fire up Ol' Sparky and clean out the jails.  I am always impressed about how often convicted people on death row are sorry, saved, and ready to be forgiven.  But put a shotgun and a bible on a table and turn your back and see which one they grab.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you are right, they are not rehabilitated usually, but then again, it isnt death row prisoners that clog up our prisons...the two events (death row inmates and overcrowded prisons) are unrelated. prisons are over populated because of the sentences they attach to much lesser crimes that jam them up with people who shouldnt be in there. how could you sleep at night wathching someone else'slife taken beofore your eyes in such a planned and organized way, as if it was taking apart a calculator or disassembling a bike? this question, i pose to everyone, not the poster of the comment im replying to in particular.

I believe that some people deserve to die, but I don't think that's a power that the federal government should have.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

im with you...its not that i dont think they deserve to die and go to hell, but who are we to decide that? its a question that should be left up to someone greater than ourselves, and if you dont believe in that sorta thing, its at least a question no one human being should have the power to decide for another...doing so is as horrible as the crime that would prmpt one to consider it, imo.

You have to have a certain understanding of the implications of the action taken to be able to do it repeatedly. If you believe you are doing a service to the community and it keeps people safe at night, then you, as a part of the execution team, could probably sleep better at night.

It takes a certain type of individual to do it. Executioner isn't listed often among 'things I want to be' by school children that's for sure. The satisfaction you speak is not in the retalitory sense but rather in knowing that you are keeping others from being killed or their lives ruined.

I must say though, I'd rather not be an executioner in Texas if I had to be one.

It takes a certain type of individual to do it.  Executioner isn't listed often among 'things I want to be' by school children that's for sure.  The satisfaction you speak is not in the retalitory sense but rather in knowing that you are keeping others from being killed or their lives ruined.

I must say though, I'd rather not be an executioner in Texas if I had to be one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good points...and i agree with you, i wouldn't wanna be either.

Our prison system is definately out of whack in a bad way. Why should prisoners get 3 squares, cable tv, ps2's (playing Grand Theft Auto)... all for committing a crime. There are had-rworking people out there who don't even get that much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While this is true, it doesn't justify death penalty. I think prisoners should work in the prison for their food and bed.

As it stands right now, there have been far too many people who have been convicted of crimes they did not commit for me to think of the death penalty as a viable option anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll sign that. Does anyone here want to be sentenced to death by error? Ask yourself and then vote.

No, in its current state it is far less cost effective then prison. Of course we need to reform the prisons and make them cost effective (by removing luxuries). No TV, no ps2, no luxuries what-so-ever should be allowed. They should get a 14sq ft cell, a stiff bed, a sink, and a hole to go to the bathroom in. Pack em in.

No, in its current state it is far less cost effective then prison. Of course we need to reform the prisons and make them cost effective (by removing luxuries). No TV, no ps2, no luxuries what-so-ever should be allowed. They should get a 14sq ft cell, a stiff bed, a sink, and a hole to go to the bathroom in. Pack em in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree with you 100% :thumbsup:

That being said im for the death penalty then again im from Texas and Republican.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

luv your irony :)

for everyone, what prison is meant for:

1.) Resocialize

2.) Penalty

therefore prisoners should work in prison so it is no more a money sink, but they also should keep their luxuries (tv&ps2) to have a perspective.

Prison has a 6 point purpose:

1. Retribution - The actual punishment for harming society.

2. General deterrence - The idea of implanting fear of prison for those thow have not yet commited a crime.

3. Individual deterrence - Same as above but the actual criminal.

4. Incapacitation - Keeps the criminal off the streets and doing more harm.

5. Reform - Rehabilitation and education as a means to remove the desire to commit crime again.

6. Vengeance - Closure for victims.

Against the death penalty.

I don't believe the government can really ever justify killing a human being, no matter what they have done.

And I also believe we need to look at the factors that lead to crime. Poverty and low education are two of the biggest factors. We should strive to eliminate poverty and educate people so they can be productive in society in a non-criminal way.

something about being killed in the way death row prisoners are is distrubing. one shouldnt know they are going to die, it is as if you were on a plane and saw yourself headed toward the ground, its just the worst feeling i could possibly imagine for anyone to experience.
Your very statement against capital punishment actually describes the deterrent effect on criminals caused by the presence of capital punishment.

I'll sign that. Does anyone here want to be sentenced to death by error? Ask yourself and then vote.

With the DNA and microscopic evidence now used at trial, I would wager that there are no innocent men on Death Row nowdays. This is largely a problem of the past.

Archived