What are the biggest Myths about your city/state?

MrSmith

Quito, or any other Latin American city:

WE ARE NOT MEXICANS!!!!

We do not live in trees, Latin America is extremely urbanized

We do not wear hats and sing "la cucaracha"

Latin America has produced some of the most important intelectuals and artists of the 20th century.

We do not speak latin, we speak spanish and a variety of regional languages.

:ph34r:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You forgot about the llamas and the ladies in funny hats.

aymaraquechua057t.jpg

I know it's a stereotype but it's always the first thing I think when thinking of Peru/Ecuador

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

Yeah, am sorry I forgot. Not every Ecuadorian women wear funny hats, but you can find them in certain regions in the moutains, along with llamas. Most ecuadorians have indians origins, but modernization has changed a lot. It is a shame though.

However, Ecuador is less urbanized than other latin american nations, so you find that a lot. It is beautiful :):ph34r:

Here is one non-city related... but one that a lot of uneducated people from the city think

Rural country/small town Minnesota(or any state) -

Myth - We are all primitive and all farm and have pigs and chickens.

We live no different than people in the city... theres just a lot less traffic and noise.

the myth spreaders about detroit have almost perpetually never been there.  Their are homes within the city limits worth tens of millions of dollars.  And although the city is still suffering from some blight, there is almost no crime in the CBD.  Aside from that, the famous Detroit burbs are among the wealthiest in the country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Some blight" :lol: There is a fine line between being positive about your city and lying about it. Detroit is still one of the most dangerous cities in the country, and I can almost garauntee that the highest crime neighborhood in the Nation (or at least one of them) is in Detroit. It is still the pits, even the "average" looking neighborhoods of brick houses would still be considered very bad in many mid-size cities (including Lansing). I don't know much about downtown's crime, but last time I was there a guy was distraught about his Escalade being stolen from right in front of the Compuware Headquarters, by the Hard Rock Cafe, he was looking at a empty parking spot yelling at some cop "It was just here!!!" I thought it was funny :whistling: , just glad it wasn't me.

Wrong.

The most dangerous neighborhood in the country is almost assuredly somewhere in New York City, New Orleans, Washington D.C. or somewhere else. People want so badly for Detroit's stereotypes to 100% true that they will bend over backwards to find what they want to prove, in spire of facts.

I don't know much about downtown's crime, but last time I was there a guy was distraught about his Escalade being stolen from right in front of the Compuware Headquarters, by the Hard Rock Cafe, he was looking at a empty parking spot yelling at some cop "It was just here!!!" I thought it was funny :whistling: , just glad it wasn't me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too bad they didn't steal the Whalers from Compuware and return them to Hartford....

Wrong.

The most dangerous neighborhood in the country is almost assuredly somewhere in New York City, New Orleans, Washington D.C. or somewhere else.  People want so badly for Detroit's stereotypes to 100% true that they will bend over backwards to find what they want to prove, in spire of facts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NYC, maybe in the 80's, maybe. New Orleans, never. Washington D.C. possible tie, but if there was a tie it would more likely be in Gary, Baltimore or Philly, even St. Louis. Detroit is about as bad as it gets, definately if your going by looks, and likely if your going by crime.

Archived