Philly - New York's Next Borough

city guy

New Yorkers will always have a suprioristic attitude towards anyone or anything not from New York. Its like now Parisians see the rest of France, only here New Yorkers feel they are superior to the 280 million or so other people in the country, including those from LA and Chicago. The New York mentality is that the country is New York and a bunch of areas that support New York. By calling Philly New York's "6th borough", I'm sure the New Yorkers thought they were giving a compliment since it said that Philly was "New York worthy". That's a compliment they bestow only upon Boston, Philly, and maybe Chicago. In the New York state of mind, only New York, Philly, and Boston count as cities (and the later two are seen by New Yorkers as counting only because they are seen by them to be satellites of New York and the coolness being injected not by locals but by NY transplants). Then there's Chicago which is a "wannabe New York" but too Midwestern to really hack it. Then there's LA and Houston which are just big suburbs. Miami is seen as "New York in Florida". DC is a city of bureaucrats working for the sake of supporting New York. The rest of the country? Its jsut farmland. Forget the Empire State. In the minds of New Yorkers, "The City" is the Empire City.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A guy at work was trying to tell me that New York City's city limits was the biggest in the USA. He bet me$10.00 that New York City limits was bigger than Houston, Tx. When I showed him the facts, he said I was wrong and would not pay up.

You can't tell people from New York City anything because they know it all.

A guy at work was trying to tell me that New York City's city limits was the biggest in the USA. He bet me$10.00 that New York City limits was bigger than Houston, Tx. When I showed him the facts, he said I was wrong and would not pay up.

You can't tell people from New York City anything because they know it all.

Archived