It's a Lee Plaza Skyline Redux!

wolverine

Since my relatively new laptop is already in service to get upgrades done on it, I've had to use a 10 year old computer for now. The wondeful Windows 95 OS features an image resizing program that made some of the original crystal clear photos blurry and grainy. I was going to wait until I was able to use Photoshop CS2, again, but I'll be moving back to Ann Arbor at about the same time the computer arrives, I figured I'd might as well get them posted now.

Our first image is a large panoramic. Luckily, my photo stitching software still worked on Windows 95. Also take note, that you should never set a tripod on a crooked roof to take panoramics.

dskylinesmall.jpg

The rest of the images you are familiar with. I was happy the weather managed to pull off a sunset.

Again, please excuse the poor quality due to the 10 year old imaging software I was using.

dsky2.jpg

dsky3.jpg

dsky4.jpg

dsky5.jpg

dsky6.jpg

dsky7.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about anyone else, but I consider myself a street-smart person, but even I am a little impressed that Wolverine was in the building so late at night. The neighborhood is actually not all that great, and I can only imagine what goes on in and around this building during certain nights. lol I used to live just a few blocks from here when I was little, and was recently back in the area, and this is one of the few neighborhoods that has actually gotten worse over the past few years.

Excellent photos. I still need to stitch together my panos...hopefully I'll get around to that soon, but I've taken 800 photos since Friday, so I'm a bit bogged down right now.

LMich,

I've never seen or heard anything bad from up there, but I do know some people who were perched on the roof over the front door looking over the boulevard when a shooting occured right in front of the building. Needless to say, they ran for cover.

It's smart to visit any abandoned building with several other people along with you. I've only attempted to explore one building alone, and that was MCS. But it turned out there was a whole bunch of people taking pictures inside, so it ended up not being a problem. I don't expect the risk level to be too high as far as anyone shady getting in Lee Plaza. The doors are all locked, and the windows are cemeted in.

It's smart to visit any abandoned building with several other people along with you.  I've only attempted to explore one building alone, and that was MCS.  But it turned out there was a whole bunch of people taking pictures inside, so it ended up not being a problem.  I don't expect the risk level to be too high as far as anyone shady getting in Lee Plaza.  The doors are all locked, and the windows are cemeted in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw one of the windows knocked out in a pic, see the one below, in the middle there appears to be a knocked out portion of block, is it still like that?

LeeFull.jpg

Probably about 65-70 degrees. That's pretty much all you can squeeze out angle-wise since there is a part of the roof coming up to the left, and the chimney on the right. In fact, I was kind of ticked the roofline got in the edge of the panoramic, but my tripod wouldn't go any higher. <_<

I cropped the chimney out of my pano. You managed to get in two of the riverfront towers though, since you were farther over than I was. I still need to stitch together the daytime panos I took, although I have a feeling that I'm not going to be satisfied with those....

Nice pano Allan! I saw this picture on your flickr account and also noticed the lack of lighting on the Maccabees. I'm wondering if because it was a Sunday maybe? The lights should have been on. If I'm not mistaken Allan might have taken this around 9:30 p.m., which seem late enough.

• 5 months later...

This is really interesting. I had recently lost all the pics above in this thread, and I just found them burned onto a CD last night. The CD was buried with a whole bunch of other blank ones. I had put them there in transition of getting my other computer fixed. That one broke a month later, and now I have a brand new Dell.

I wish so much I could go up there, but people have gotten robbed at gunpoint lately in there. This has to do with the building being over accessible. And now that the roof is gone, getting good shots might be kind of hard.,

The Lee Plaza is very dangerous now. It is too easy for other people to corner you when going in or out of the building. I refuse to go back with any less than 10 people for that reason. I know of two groups of photographers/explorers who've gotten held up in there in recent weeks. One group was robbed at knifepoint; the other a gunpoint. That's not a risk I'm willing to take. People will follow you in to the building.

Archived