Florida

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Restaurant Review

The Sineyard

DSCF2804.jpg

I've heard nothing but good about the Sineyard from those living in the Woodville area of town, so I decided to stop by to take a taste for myself. I'll say I had very high expectations because of what others had told me, Sineyard had alot to live up to.

From the time we pulled up my girlfriend and I thought this would be a nice place to dine, there was a new facility, clean on the outside with plenty of room for parking.

Inside, our opinions of the restaurant had changed, the floor was uncovered, bare cement, there was little in terms of asthetic attraction, and the chairs and seats looked like something we sat on in Elementary school cafeterias... if that nice... by now it was too late to turn around, but in the back of my mind I really wanted to.

We decided to give it a try, because it was the food people bragged so much about, not the actual facility. However, another bombshell... our waitor, quite possibly the worst I've ever had... he looked at us with a hostile eye, he didn't introduce himself, he didn't offer to fill our cups when our drinks were gone, instead we had to flag him down, and when I complained about "grouper" (which I don't think was grouper because there's a ban on grouper fishing and it just didn't have the right taste nor texture) he didn't even apologize nor offer an alternative subsitute.... if he is any representation of the staff at the Sineyard, I'd say it was bad.

The shrimp, however, were good. So were the cheese grits, and hush puppies. The price tag for my girlfriend and I came to $25.00... I don't think I'll be going back.

I love to eat, so I must put in my two cents: :D

Moe's - I go that to that place at least ONCE a week. I don't know what it is about that place, but it's hella good! Five stars.

San Miguel - Just nasty, plain nasty. A friend and I ordered from there once. It tastes just like Taco Bell, and I wouldn't feed that to my dog. Not to mention twice the price of Taco Bell. Ugh. One star.

Samhrat - Indian food. Pretty good, though they screwed up the order. It was my first time eating Indian food, so I can't compare it to anything else. 3 stars.

Italian Pie - Good stuff! The tiramisu is to die for! 4 stars.

Smokey Bones - Okay, but I'd prefer Sonny's any day of the week. 3 stars.

Carrabba's - Overpriced. But very good. 3 stars.

Atlanta Bread Company - Good. Very croweded though. 3 stars.

Broadway Risotorante - Very good, a bit overpriced. 4 stars.

Picadilly's - I'd go there any day of the week..mmm. 4 stars.

Garfield's Pub & Grill - Good food, but overpriced and the portions are tiny. 3 stars.

Hardees - I never ate at Hardee's until the one came to FSU. Okay food, horrible coffee. Terribly long wait for food. 3 stars.

Pollo Tropical - I could live at that place forever. 4 stars.

Roadhouse - I've eaten there ocassionally for over 10 years. 4 stars.

Chilis - Good food, but too greasy. It made me sick the past two times I've eaten there. 2 stars.

Does the Publix Deli count as a restaurant? I LOVE their subs!!

Park Avenue Diner (at FSU) - Okay food, service was initially AWFUL but is slowly improving. I've stiffed many times there, and generally tip generously. I do have beef on the "special table" they set aside for the disabled people when I go there with my best friend. 3 stars.

Olive Garden - Don't mess with success! 5 stars.

Cold Stone - I LOVE their ice-cream!! It's the only place I get it. 5 stars.

That's all I could think of for now :D

WOW that was pretty dang good. I'd flip the ratings of Olive Garden and Carabbas... I LUUUUUUUUUVE Carabbas, that Chicken Pollo Rosa Maria is so good.

Cold Stone is also my place... if you ever go I'd reccomend the Apple Pie Ala ColdStone.

Today I tried for the first time Pancherros part of that new combo store with Boca Cafe and Circle K and all that stuff, any how... I had them mix the steak and chicken on a Buritto for me, Black beans, rice, sour cream, tomato stuff, lettuce, and I get the feeling I'm leaving something out... but it was awesome. The line was long, but I didn't mind... its always good to see strong business in these restaurants.

Yea, Carrabbas isnt really that expensive, especailly for what you get. In my opinion (coming from a larger city), Tallahassee needs a lot more restaurants, especially higher quality ones (rather than "College joints"). Then that will put Carrabbas prices in perspective, and it becomes a "cheaper alternative." But, their Spiedeno di Mare (sp?) is amazing there.

Carabbas, to me, is a bargain for what you get in taste, not to mention the endless bread and herbs in olive oil. But as stated by Go Gators... you've got to get out of the mindset of the casual dining restaurant.

To compare Carabbas to another well known restaurant such as Outback, to which it is affiliated, the prices are quite comprable. Harry's is another restaurant I've heard people complain about the prices of, initally, however those complaints have silenced in the months since they opened seeing as people are becoming conditioned to the price range and the better quality food.

Another great restaurant with excellent steaks and shrimp is Durango's... oy oy oy!! Those Bacon Wrapped Shrimp are delicious.

Carabbas, to me, is a bargain for what you get in taste, not to mention the endless bread and herbs in olive oil. But as stated by Go Gators... you've got to get out of the mindset of the casual dining restaurant.

To compare Carabbas to another well known restaurant such as Outback, to which it is affiliated, the prices are quite comprable. Harry's is another restaurant I've heard people complain about the prices of, initally, however those complaints have silenced in the months since they opened seeing as people are becoming conditioned to the price range and the better quality food.

Another great restaurant with excellent steaks and shrimp is Durango's... oy oy oy!! Those Bacon Wrapped Shrimp are delicious.

\

Sorry durangos is trash......... I went there and the floors were so greasy that my whole family slipped a few times walking to our seats.... food sucked. overpriced, would never go back. -end

I was born in Tallahassee, and come back usually twice a year. When there, I dine out a lot. I think Tally has a nice selection of local restaurants with cheap prices. Sometimes I have found it difficult to find good places that stay open late. In addition, I wish more places had a more extensive selection of beer that included more than the standards.

That being said, I took a friend to eat at Mosaik one of the last times I was there and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I also love Loopers, the Loop, and Cool Grindz.

Hey GG!

Ya know I need to open up more. I haven't been to alot of the local places like Loopers, and Mosaik. In some way I'm afraid I may not enjoy myself... always thinking I want to let someone else try it first and tell me about it.

There's that new Caribbean Cuisine place near Fun Station off of Sharer road that I want to try... anyone been there?

• 3 weeks later...

Review: Kim's Seafood

I must say... the Hole in the walls can be great finds. I've just finished eating Fried Grouper and Shrimp from Kim's Seafood on Blountstown Highway, and it was absolutely GREAT!

If you love good seafood, get over there to the corner of Blountstown Hwy and Mission and give this place a try. All I can say is EXCELLENT!!

Price: $10.00

While I was at Market Days down at the fairgrounds on Saturday, The Seineyard had set up shop there. After coaxing from my friend, I tried it. I was not all that people make it out to be. I paid $8.00 for a meager helping of grouper, hush puppies, fries and cheese grits. Not even a drink!

My friend back in Miami got grossed out when I told him about the cheese grits. I guess it's a southern thing! I never had grits til I came to Tallahassee.

I was born in Tallahassee, and come back usually twice a year. When there, I dine out a lot. I think Tally has a nice selection of local restaurants with cheap prices. Sometimes I have found it difficult to find good places that stay open late. In addition, I wish more places had a more extensive selection of beer that included more than the standards.

That being said, I took a friend to eat at Mosaik one of the last times I was there and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I also love Loopers, the Loop, and Cool Grindz.

I agree. We need more late night options other than Village Inn and its brethren (although a funky diner would be appreciated). For the most part, I love our local restaurants. Kool Beanz, Food Glorious Food, Jasmine's (downtown), Hopkins, and more.

However, as poonther pointed out to me, the service at a lot of restaurants doesn't "pop" in his words. I suppose because most servers at restaurants are students and its not their full time jobs as it is for many people in larger cities. Eat out once at even an upscale chain like Houston's and you will see the difference.

And on another side note, our new sushi restaurant Masa in Midtown has great food but LOUSY music. I have never been to a such a cool looking place that its ambience is totally ruined by the music.

Archived