Tallahassee: Restaurants

Florida

I agree. We need more late night options other than Village Inn and its brethren (although a funky diner would be appreciated). For the most part, I love our local restaurants. Kool Beanz, Food Glorious Food, Jasmine's (downtown), Hopkins, and more.

However, as poonther pointed out to me, the service at a lot of restaurants doesn't "pop" in his words. I suppose because most servers at restaurants are students and its not their full time jobs as it is for many people in larger cities. Eat out once at even an upscale chain like Houston's and you will see the difference.

And on another side note, our new sushi restaurant Masa in Midtown has great food but LOUSY music. I have never been to a such a cool looking place that its ambience is totally ruined by the music.

Just curious... specifically what type of music are we talking??

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rolls, yes!

In a more general, grocery-store sense, I think that good bread is one thing that Tallahassee has lacked for a long time. I appreciate the efforts that Publix is making by adding its artisanal line, but we could really use a local bakery that turns out hot, crusty rolls, loaves, pastries, and muffins. The specialty breads at Fresh Market are flown in frozen from out of state. There are a few corporate places (ABC), and a few boutique efforts (APM, BB), but I would not call any of them a real bread bakery. And we have such good water, too.

As for my favorite restaurants in Tally, in the order of most-frequented...

Cabo's

Far East Cuisine (new Vietnamese restaurant at Carriage Gate)

Momo's

La Fiesta

Another Broken Egg

Bamboo House

Food Glorious Food

Samrat

Reangthai

Cypress

Clusters & Hops

Go local and more of your dining dollar stays in Tallahassee!

Wow great choices P_McLane. I am sure I am bumping into you all over town because some of those are my favorites too. I substitute Decent Pizza for Momo's. I like Momo's but Decent is just as good to me and is closer to my house. I've never been to Another Broken Egg. Isn't that out in the South GA community of Killearn Lakes? Aren't they planning to build one of those in one of the up and coming downtown condos?

I agree w/you on the fresh bread. I know what ABC and APM are, but what is BB?

I did not know that Fresh Market shipped their bread in frozen. I buy a lot of their bread, good to know that.

What about Panera Bread, they are coming to Governor's Crossing at Park and B'stone. Do they make their bread in their local stores? I know that isn't exactly what you want but I am curious about their bread.

I must concur that Far East is an excellent restaurant. Very unassuming in the Carriage Gate shopping center, but its a clean, simple restaurant with very good food.

Every time I go in I promise myself that I will order something different, but when the waitress asks I always say "V9." I am always happy with the V9. This is the first place I take out-of-town guests. It is close to where I live, it is clean and bright and very tasty.

Wow great choices P_McLane.

I agree w/you on the fresh bread. I know what ABC and APM are, but what is BB?

A little sandwich shop on Miccosukee road at Blair Stone. They do white, wheat, cookies and quickbreads. I left off mentioning the many fine bagel shops, but I have no cause for complaint there. Bagels are, by my estimation, the best fresh bakery in Tally.

I think I saw an earlier post that supposed a branch of Another Broken Egg (a Louisiana-based franchise) at plaza level of the new Plaza Tower. If I dreamed that, it is a sweet dream, because I would so love to be able to go downtown for a full breakfast on weekends and then walk off my eggs and grits.

The only concern with ABE at Kleman Plaza is that it is a breakfast and lunch joint. That's only 12 of the 18-hour downtown. If ABE kept its regular menu, but added a short-order diner-style evening menu, it couldn't fail.

Another Broken Egg did announce its intent to occupy restaurant space at the Plaza Tower.

If you want good bakery goods, get over to the Tasty Pastry... they are VERY VERY good.

Panera will be at Governor's Crossing, or so they tell me. I've got to get out and go to some of these other places you've listed.

LOS COMPADRES MEXICAN RESTAURANT MY FAVORITE BY FAR MEXICAN IN TALLAHASSEE.

DO YOU WANT CHEAP QUALITY AUTHENTIC MEXICAN CUISINE?

VISIT LOS COMPADRES AT ANY ONE OF THEIR 2 TALLAHASSEE LOCATIONS

1 BEHIND TALLAHASSEE MALL ON THE CORNER OF JOHN KNOX AND SILVER SLIPPER LANE!

ANOTHER ONE PENSACOLA STREET IN THE BIG LOTS PARKING LOT

DID I MENTION EVERY WEDNESDAY NIGHT IS ALL U CAN EAT FOR 6.99??????

WOW SORRY FOR USING CAPS, BUT I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO COME TRY THIS PLACE IT IS EXCELLENT. YOU WILL BECOME A REGULAR.

LOS COMPADRES MEXICAN RESTAURANT MY FAVORITE BY FAR MEXICAN IN TALLAHASSEE.

DO YOU WANT CHEAP QUALITY AUTHENTIC MEXICAN CUISINE?

VISIT LOS COMPADRES AT ANY ONE OF THEIR 2 TALLAHASSEE LOCATIONS

1 BEHIND TALLAHASSEE MALL ON THE CORNER OF JOHN KNOX AND SILVER SLIPPER LANE!

ANOTHER ONE PENSACOLA STREET IN THE BIG LOTS PARKING LOT

DID I MENTION EVERY WEDNESDAY NIGHT IS ALL U CAN EAT FOR 6.99??????

WOW SORRY FOR USING CAPS, BUT I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO COME TRY THIS PLACE IT IS EXCELLENT. YOU WILL BECOME A REGULAR.

Based on this single post, I know without a doubt, you are who I've thought you we're. Honestly I don't care as long as what happened b4 doesn't happen again.

I'll try to get into that restaurant and check things out.

Review: Jacob's On the Plaza

DSC00070.jpg

This past Sunday, my girlfriend and I set out to eat at a place we'd never been to. We stumbled upon Jacob's On the Plaza in Downtown Tallahassee.

For $13.00 each we had access to an all you can eat buffet complete with Belgan Waffles, Pancakes, Biscuits, Eggs, Omlets (chef makes them to order) prime rib, bacon, sausage, ham, chicken, lamb, and some other type of meat. On top of this, there were deserts ranging from chocolate to cheesecake.

I was very impressed with the atmostphere, and the fact that they had the waffles that I so badly wanted Sunday morning. I was less impressed at the fact that the food wasn't truly seasoned. I suppose as a courtesy, they leave it unflavored for each individual customer to season to their own taste.

If you enjoy drinking wines, and alcoholic beverages this is the place for you. As the alcoholic beverages, namely the Mamosa (some sort of champaign and orange juice) were free... all you can drink. The orange juice alone however costs a whopping $3 a glass. Didn't know this until the check came.

All in all, this place was ok. Food wasn't the best, prices weren't the best, but atmosphere and location were aweseome.

Brunch is one of my favorite meals!

Some fun places to brunch:

Cabo's

Jenny's Lunch Box

Po Boys

It would be great if Another Broken Egg came into downtown. We also need an Original Pancake House..yummy! So far in FL there are only in South FL but it would be nice to have a place that's just a step up from Village Inn, Denny's-type food.

TJ,

Thanks for the review of Jacob's for brunch. I live downtown and never think to go there to eat.

I have been to Cypress many times and I've always found the food and service to be very good. I think it's one of the best if not the best "high-end" restaurant in Tally. A full meal there is not cheap. If you want to go eat there, but want to save a few bucks, I'd suggest going for Lunch. Often times it's the same food, just smaller and thus cheaper portions at lunch over dinner.

My girlfriend and I may need to get over for lunch one day.

I just saw a cool commercial for Kool Beanz restaurant on Thomasville road... the food looked delicious on the commercial, but the waiting staff seemed to be dressed in jeans... which didn't fit with the food I saw. What is the service and food really like? And are the prices as Kool Beanz fair?

I saw a cool little commercial last night for Kool Beanz Cafe on Thomasville Road. Just passing by it seems like a sandwitch place or something, but the commercial give the food a very charming look. I'm feeling some mixed signals here. Food looks upscale in a since, yet the name doesn't. What's the truth behind Kool Beanz?

Hey TJ,

Kool Beanz is what I would call ecletically casual. The food is all about mixing unusual flavors and presentation. The restaurant is lively and you can see the cooks at work if you eat at the bar. Most entrees are in the 15-20 range, but you can make a meal out of getting an appetizer and a salad. Their lunches are excellent too. Cheaper prices and slightly smaller portions of their dinner menu items.

Some of the best fish I have had has been at Kool Beanz.

Archived