Tallahassee: Restaurants

Florida

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, for you Tallahassee residents who have been around since the 1980s and remember The Brown Derby at Tallahassee Mall, apparently Orando, Inc., which acquired the remaining three Florida Brown Derby's after the Cleveland-based chain Brown Derby Inc. wanted to change the Derby concept to its now marginally successful Brown Derby Roadhouse in Ohio, is planning to try to get the chain up and running again. Their Gainesville and Tallahassee locations had historically been the best performers, "always turning a huge profit even as the rest of the chain flagged," so the first two locations will be in those respective towns. Apparently the new Pinnacle shopping complex and Tallahassee Mall/Feldman are fighting over it as suitors, with Feldman saying that its nostalgic value and almost cult-like following among Tallahasseeans would provide just the boost that the mall needs. Incidentally, John Barli, former manager of the Gainesville location who now runs the Carrabba's there, is thinking of returning to his old post and perhaps having an oversight role to make sure the concept is true to history. See article below:

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s...ant-Resurrected

Wow, for you Tallahassee residents who have been around since the 1980s and remember The Brown Derby at Tallahassee Mall, apparently Orando, Inc., which acquired the remaining three Florida Brown Derby's after the Cleveland-based chain Brown Derby Inc. wanted to change the Derby concept to its now marginally successful Brown Derby Roadhouse in Ohio, is planning to try to get the chain up and running again. Their Gainesville and Tallahassee locations had historically been the best performers, "always turning a huge profit even as the rest of the chain flagged," so the first two locations will be in those respective towns. Apparently the new Pinnacle shopping complex and Tallahassee Mall/Feldman are fighting over it as suitors, with Feldman saying that its nostalgic value and almost cult-like following among Tallahasseeans would provide just the boost that the mall needs. Incidentally, John Barli, former manager of the Gainesville location who now runs the Carrabba's there, is thinking of returning to his old post and perhaps having an oversight role to make sure the concept is true to history. See article below:

I contacted the Cheesecake factory about a location here... this is the reply.

Thank you for your e-mail and interest in The Cheesecake Factory. Your site suggestion will be shared internally, and with the company that helps us with our site selection. While we do not have immediate plans to open a location in Tallahassee, we are growing and are planning to open many more restaurants throughout the United States. Please check our website for updates on future location openings: www.thecheesecakefactory.com under Locations/Future Locations.

Thank you again for your interest and support. We hope to serve you soon!

Sincerely,

Whitney Dunn

Consumer Response Representative

Scubaboy I'm answering you over here about your IHOP question. When the IHOP news first broke, we were told that the EL IHOP (one on N. Monroe in the old El Chico location) was to open sometime in April. We'll I can pretty much guarantee you that ain't gonna happen. When I drove by that location last, the real estate sign was still out in front of the property stating "Contract Pending" and there was no evidence of transformation activity going on.

bhNC thanks for the Brown Derby info. I'm like 'roo, if we are going to get one, I'm rooting for the Tally Mall location and not DeVoe's mega strip mall.

The Brown Derby predates my time in Tally. Wasn't the restaurant at the Tally Mall, but not IN the mall? Was it in the front where Legends is now and Rex use to be or was it in the back towards where the miniature golf use to be?

Also what type of restaurant was it and how was the atmosphere? I do hear long-time Tally folks go on and on about the place, but many long-timers love Barnaby's which is a place I avoid like the plague. I remember one person described it to me along the lines of The Silver Slipper which I find to be dated, provincial and generally has bad food IMHO. Hopefully it's nothing like that place?

Good work TD on the Cheesecake letter!

Scubaboy I'm answering you over here about your IHOP question. When the IHOP news first broke, we were told that the EL IHOP (one on N. Monroe in the old El Chico location) was to open sometime in April. We'll I can pretty much guarantee you that ain't gonna happen. When I drove by that location last, the real estate sign was still out in front of the property stating "Contract Pending" and there was no evidence of transformation activity going on.

bhNC thanks for the Brown Derby info. I'm like 'roo, if we are going to get one, I'm rooting for the Tally Mall location and not DeVoe's mega strip mall.

The Brown Derby predates my time in Tally. Wasn't the restaurant at the Tally Mall, but not IN the mall? Was it in the front where Legends is now and Rex use to be or was it in the back towards where the miniature golf use to be?

Also what type of restaurant was it and how was the atmosphere? I do hear long-time Tally folks go on and on about the place, but many long-timers love Barnaby's which is a place I avoid like the plague. I remember one person described it to me along the lines of The Silver Slipper which I find to be dated, provincial and generally has bad food IMHO. Hopefully it's nothing like that place?

Good work TD on the Cheesecake letter!

They are working on the interior of a new Japanese restaurant in the Assembly Bldg. first floor on North Monroe. That's the building between 6th and 7th on the west side of Monroe. That location use to house a couple of sub shops and the Vegetarian Deli. The new place starts w/an S, but I can't remember exactly what the name is. Currently they have a small white banner stating the name.

Today I noticed they've put in the permanent signage for this place. I believe the name is Sakuro Restaurant and the sign runs along the building just above the restaurant. I think this signage contains some of the largest single block letters, they are red to boot, in all of Tally. Give it a drive-by and let me know if you think so also?

My Brother-n-law saw the sign for Sakuro and he went nuts! He travels all over the US and said that their food is the 'bomb". Well he knows his Japanese food and my interest in this restaurant has defiantly been peeked since then.

Little confused here mracca, are you and your BIL saying that this restaurant is part of a chain or a particular type/style of Japanese food?

According to my "BIL" he said that it it part of a wide chain that he frequents when he gets a chance.

Little confused here mracca, are you and your BIL saying that this restaurant is part of a chain or a particular type/style of Japanese food?

'roo you are the eyes of IHOP. First you see activity on the Parkway one and now on EL IHOP. Maybe since I rode by yesterday at 2pm they'd already left for the day..you know banker's hours. :)

Your siting gives me hope that maybe they will be finished by the end of the month. Did you see any outdoor activity going on or just indoor....yeah I know riding by for 10 seconds doesn't give one a lot of time to notice detail.

^I think that lone Magnolia needs some company!

I was reading the classifieds today and notice that a new sandwich shop is opening up on Capital Circle NE next to Tire Kingdom on 4.16.

I've never eaten at a Roly Poly but I have seen them when travelling. Have any of you eaten at one and if so, what's your opinion?

^I think that lone Magnolia needs some company!

I was reading the classifieds today and notice that a new sandwich shop is opening up on Capital Circle NE next to Tire Kingdom on 4.16.

I've never eaten at a Roly Poly but I have seen them when travelling. Have any of you eaten at one and if so, what's your opinion?

OMG!!!!!! ROLY POLY !!!! I am almost as excited with this as Tijuana Flats!!! My wife and I always looked forward to Eating at Roly Poly and Jamba Juice in Coral Springs. This is great news, they make the best wraps. They had a chicken wrap with Horse Radish sauce that was the bomb! Man With these two restaurants coming into town, I cant think of another reason to move to South Florida. RP would put Tropical smoothie out of business if we could acquire a Jamba juice next door to RP.

OMG!!!!!! ROLY POLY !!!! I am almost as excited with this as Tijuana Flats!!! My wife and I always looked forward to Eating at Roly Poly and Jamba Juice in Coral Springs. This is great news, they make the best wraps. They had a chicken wrap with Horse Radish sauce that was the bomb! Man With these two restaurants coming into town, I cant think of another reason to move to South Florida. RP would put Tropical smoothie out of business if we could acquire a Jamba juice next door to RP.

Archived