• Houston
    • San Antonio
    • Corpus
    • El Paso
    • Other

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best part of Texas is the music- Asleep at the Wheel, Steve Earl, Willie Nelson, Townes Van Zandt, Kinky Freidman and the Texas Jewboys... et al...

The worst part is the politics. People like Tom DeLay and GW Bush have ruined the states reputation worldwide. Much like years ago when Texas politicians called Thanksgiving a "yankee holiday". Now they claim it as part of their "Judeo/Christian Tradition" or "Heritage" and justification when going after immigrants, homosexuals and others that cannot properly defend themselves in a political arena. Using executions to get one re-elected or forcing people to pray to the Protestant god at football games is not what I would call being religious.

I've never been so I can't judge their cities but then again if I never go i doubt I'd miss anything.

Sorry if my answer is a little strong and off topic but I feel that this state deserves it and so much more. btw- I wonder if Mexico will take them back?

Guest donaltopablo

I voted El Paso. It's not really my favorite city in Texas, San Antonio is (even though there are better "cities", my favorite is SA because there is plenty to do, and even more to do just up the highway in Austin).

But since I figured there was no way anyone would vote El Paso, I did. LOL.

Certainly not Dallas (I hope).

Dallas is the only Texas city I've been too, and if that's the best of Texas... :shivers:

I have this strange feeling, that if I visited all the cities listed, El Paso would probably be my favourite. I'm weird like that.

The best part of Texas is the music- Asleep at the Wheel, Steve Earl, Willie Nelson, Townes Van Zandt, Kinky Freidman and the Texas Jewboys... et al...

The worst part is the politics. People like Tom DeLay and GW Bush have ruined the states reputation worldwide. Much like years ago when Texas politicians called Thanksgiving a "yankee holiday". Now they claim it as part of their "Judeo/Christian Tradition" or "Heritage" and justification when going after immigrants, homosexuals and others that cannot properly defend themselves in a political arena. Using executions to get one re-elected or forcing people to pray to the Protestant god at football games is not what I would call being religious.

I've never been so I can't judge their cities but then again if I never go i doubt I'd miss anything.

Sorry if my answer is a little strong and off topic but I feel that this state deserves it and so much more. btw- I wonder if Mexico will take them back?

Scott, you should come to the church I grew up in. They taught catholics were going to hell every other week. Oh, and everyone else if they weren't the same church - even Baptists.. LOL There are millions of members of my church in both Texas and Tennessee; its the Church of Christ.

Now, of course, I don't claim the church in any way/shape/form. But I was raised in it...

You may think I'm kidding, but if you were here, I'd show you how bad it is. People here are nuts. koko.gif

I have been to El Paso/Cuidad Juarez Mexico many times. El Paso - a total bore. Mexico - interesting but the poverty is terrible and ruins the experience IMO.

I can't agree more. I've been once, but my dad goes quite often. He was just on business down there for the past 3 weeks. The people from his company that live in El Paso but work in Juarez are all counting down the days until they can retire...it's that bad! I'm just glad we ended up not having to move down there. It's definately not a city I'd want to live in for any length of time.

Guest donaltopablo

Wow, I didn't think El Paso was that bad. It's not a great city by any means, but it does have a good bit of culture and character to it. Plus, the natural beautity of the surrounding enviornment is incredible.

Maybe El Paso isn't that bad....Keep in mind that my dad has only spent a month or so in the city total, and he was working over in Juarez during the day, so he didn't actually spend that much time in the city. I suppose it also depends on which side of town you live on. My dad said that the east side of El Paso had a lot of heavy industry, but the western side of town was very nice. In fact, he said that they have 6 lane boulevards lined with palm trees and other desert plantings just sitting there in anticipation of new development. It is a very different landscape, and a whole different lifestyle as well. I personally like the desert landscape, but I think I'm one of very few that do. And I still don't know that I'd give up the lush green plants & lakes of Michigan for the hot, dry desert.

Guest donaltopablo

West side of town is actually pretty nice, and cost of living is low. Neither side really bothered me much though.

As for Juarez, it has a lot of problems but is still a great town IMHO. I lived there for a couple of months, the whole time without a car. It was a blast. Very urban, lots to do, very inexpensive, lots of neighborhood businesses. Way out on the SE side of Juarez is very nice, Wal Mart and sprawl galore.

It's definitely a preference thing though. I imagine it's very easy for me to deal with since I lived so many years there, but I've had more fun on trips to El Paso and Juarez than I did going to Philly. I'm sure plenty will disagree.

My biggest problem with El Paso/Las Cruces now that I'm a adult (other than maybe weak paying jobs, although the cost of living is VERY low) is it's very isolated. ABQ is 4 hours away, SA and Phoenix are both 7. That's a long way to travel to get to another decent sized city.

The cost of living is VERY low. If we would've moved down to El Paso, we could've gotten a brand new house twice the size of our current 40 year old house for the same price.

I would find it difficult to live in an isolated city though. I'm used to going to taking spur of the moment trips to Grand Rapids, Chicago, Detroit, etc. That obviously wouldn't happen if the closest city was 4 hours away.

• 1 year later...

I think that I voted for Dallas. (I voted without comment sometime back- but now I forget what I voted for)

I notice that Houston is by far the lead, and I am wondering why that is? What is it about Houston that makes it more appealing? To me, Dallas comes off as a more progressive area.

Archived