1. 1. what's your fav TX city?

• Dallas
    • Austin
    • Houston
    • San Antonio
    • Corpus
    • El Paso
    • Other

I think that I voted for Dallas. (I voted without comment sometime back- but now I forget what I voted for)

I notice that Houston is by far the lead, and I am wondering why that is? What is it about Houston that makes it more appealing? To me, Dallas comes off as a more progressive area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Both Houston and Dallas are about the same. Dallas is just a little conservative then the two. However they are both moderate cities. Houston imo is my favorite. It feels like its the bigger city of the two as well. Love them both though.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly not Dallas (I hope).

Dallas is the only Texas city I've been too, and if that's the best of Texas... :shivers:

I have this strange feeling, that if I visited all the cities listed, El Paso would probably be my favourite. I'm weird like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are weird! Do you think Providence has a better skyline, come on, Dallas has one of the best skylines in the nation, how about Boston's vacant skyline? El Paso is a poverty ridden no skyline having drain on the state. Here's my list:

skylines:

1. Houston

2. Dallas

3. Austin

4. San Antonio

5. Ft. Worth

6. Corpu Christi

7. El Paso

8. Midland

As far as character or visits:

1. San Antonio

2. Austin

3. Houston

4. Dallas

The best part of Texas is the music- Asleep at the Wheel, Steve Earl, Willie Nelson, Townes Van Zandt, Kinky Freidman and the Texas Jewboys... et al...

The worst part is the politics. People like Tom DeLay and GW Bush have ruined the states reputation worldwide. Much like years ago when Texas politicians called Thanksgiving a "yankee holiday". Now they claim it as part of their "Judeo/Christian Tradition" or "Heritage" and justification when going after immigrants, homosexuals and others that cannot properly defend themselves in a political arena. Using executions to get one re-elected or forcing people to pray to the Protestant god at football games is not what I would call being religious.

I've never been so I can't judge their cities but then again if I never go i doubt I'd miss anything.

Sorry if my answer is a little strong and off topic but I feel that this state deserves it and so much more. btw- I wonder if Mexico will take them back?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me see, you've never been to Texas, so you feel justified in a totally baseless attack against us, whatever. There is a large homosexual community in both Houston and Dallas as well as others. The prayer at football games is mostly a rural issue, not the urban areas that comprise most of the state's population and I don't know how far you're reaching back for the yankee holiday statement, but I've lived here for 31 years and that's the first time I've heard that, get real, don't comment unless you have a little real information. Would we consider ourselves more cultured if we had a drunken Ted Kennedy representing us? I know several people from Boston who have relocated here and love it, thanks for your nonsensical ramblings.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that I voted for Dallas. (I voted without comment sometime back- but now I forget what I voted for)

I notice that Houston is by far the lead, and I am wondering why that is? What is it about Houston that makes it more appealing? To me, Dallas comes off as a more progressive area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Houston is "progressing" more. Although both cities have there ups and downs, Houston's skyline is more impressive.

Dallas has the BOA, which is not my favorite building, but its on the edge of Downtown, away from the core. As well as the rest of the buildings (Foutain Place, Key Hole Tower, etc) they all surround the main center. Which is not bad, but from certain angles, makes it look hollow. Now, I know certain angles make any city hollow, but more so with Big-D. And all the talls are seperated out, where in Houston, there basically lined up...

Houston's is more "colorful" if you will. Dallas, its mostly Blue Glass or Brown Stone.

Well....how about a qualified answer.

Skyline

1. Houston - No question. the buildings are taller, there grouped like a city should be and have a "big city" look.

2. Dallas - A qualified second. Has a CBD with tall buildings...but Dallas CBD's sparseness can be explained by numbers 6,7,9 and 10 below - a unique situation.

3. Austin - Capitol and a football stadium? perfect Texas. Good new construction, too.

4. El Paso - Mountains! Terrain! and buildings in the foreground! huzzah!

5. San Antonio - El Paso without scenic backdrop and with a needle and White Elephant (Alamodome)

6. Ft. Worth - Combined with #2, they'd be the best in Texas.

7. Irving/Las Colinas - See #6+#1.

8. Houston Galleria - . Only 1 big building and several mid-size surrounding ones, but impressive.

9. Dallas Galleria- Great architecture and balance. also see #s 1,6,7.

10. Plano/Frisco Legacy/Stonebriar- Beautiful EDS building surrounded by mid and low rises. Also see 1,6,7,9.

Cultuarally speaking.

1. El Paso

2. San Antonio

3. Austin

NR. Dallas + Houston. Godless cultural wastelands ( white buildings with MOMA on them and fancy art districts do not a culture make).

"Progressiveness"

1. Dallas - Signifigant non-CBD construction, moderate-sized and effective mass transit, large gay population, Arts district. President of the United States. But most importantly? A Hispanic, female, gay, democratic Sheriff. Game. Set. Match.

2. Austin - Um, dude, it's...like....Austin.....and stuff. :P

3. Houston. - Some non-CBD construction, Large gay community, arts district. Small (and somewhat flawed) mass transit. Tom Delay.

4. San Antonio

5. El Paso.

And did we Forget....Sports!

1. Dallas/Fort Worth - NFL,AFL,MLB,NBA,NHL,MLS plus 3 I-A Universities (UNT,SMU,TCU) and two bowls. Extra points for 2 NASCAR races, IROC and the Breeder's and Lone Star Cups in Horse Racing.

2. Houston - NFL,MLB,NBA,WNBA plus 2 I-A Universities (Houston and Rice). Extra points for a Prix and a bowl.

3t. San Antonio - NBA and a bowl.

3t. Austin - AFL and Texas.

5t. College Station - A&M.

5t. El Paso - UTEP and a bowl.

Houston has the best skyline.

Ft Worth is the best overall city

Overall, the cities in Texas are very well planned. I enjoy visiting there. I have friends in Dallas, Ft Worth, Houston, Austin, Lubbock, Waco, Amarillo and San Antonio. Overall, the state has a lot of spirit and distinctiveness.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You are weird!  Do you think Providence has a better skyline, come on, Dallas has one of the best skylines in the nation, how about Boston's vacant skyline?  El Paso is a poverty ridden no skyline having drain on the state.  Here's my list:

skylines:

1. Houston

2. Dallas

3. Austin

4. San Antonio

5. Ft. Worth

6. Corpu Christi

7. El Paso

8. Midland

As far as character or visits:

1. San Antonio

2. Austin

3. Houston

4. Dallas

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dallas has one of the best skylines in the nation? Puh-lease! If big, gaudy and overdone counts as the best, then I guess you're right. What is up with the neon-lighting abuse there anyway? Do you think that's attractive? Well, I guess everything is bigger in Texas, especially the hairdos, attitudes and egos.

If one had to pick a Texas city to be the favorite it would have to be Austin. It's like an oasis floating in a vast wasteland of conservatism and intolerance (not to mention some of the ugliest countryside I've ever experienced). The only drawback to Austin is that it's in the middle of the state. Word of advice: Fly there-dont drive.

It does amaze me that people that seem to hate Texas so much would take the time out of their lifes to read through a Texas subforum. Oh well....guess it makes them feel like a big boy to make Texas sound worse than Baghdad. Also, notice how they never mention where they are from.

Typical idiot- Comes into a Texas Subforum to insult Texans.  It's not about free speech azbadpuppy; it's about respect.  Please refrain yourself from making comments like that.  Geesh closed-minded people irritate me so much!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did it ever occur to you that I might be *from* Texas? There are ex-pats yes even from Texas. I am speaking from experience and last time I checked, this was an opinion forum? Did they stop allowing you to form your own opinions down there in TX too? Oh, right- as long as you don't say anything negative or controversial whatsoever about the good ol' lone star then you are allowed.

You should check out who I was replying to originally. That person was rather rude and insulting not only to the previous poster who has issues with TX but also turned against their own and ridiculed an entire city IN TEXAS. Sad. I don't see anyone flaming them!

I answered the question in the forum, and also stated my opinion about how I feel. We are still in America, right? Geez, maybe you guys should seceed.

I can understand the hostility towards my opinion. The truth does hurt sometimes.

It does amaze me that people that seem to hate Texas so much would take the time out of their lifes to read through a Texas subforum. Oh well....guess it makes them feel like a big boy to make Texas sound worse than Baghdad. Also, notice how they never mention where they are from.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Eastsider,

Funny, you don't mention where YOU are from......I however am from a beautiful small town in southern Arizona that you would never have heard of. We like it like that.

I read through just about every forum on here so don't flatter yourself. I don't need to make Texas sound bad- it does that all on its own. As far as the Baghdad reference, never been there but from what I hear the weather's very similar to TX.

Have a great day

Seriously idiots like azbadpuppy need to start getting banned.  Comments like that should not be tolerated and it is very annoying!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but lets start with a suspension. I'm all for letting someone have at least one chance, but I ususally get burned.

azbadpuppy, you really need to grow up and learn a little respect for others. cya in a week.

Hi Eastsider,

Funny, you don't mention where YOU are from......I however am from a beautiful small town in southern Arizona that you would never have heard of. We like it like that.

I read through just about every forum on here so don't flatter yourself. I don't need to make Texas sound bad- it does that all on its own. As far as the Baghdad reference, never been there but from what I hear the weather's very similar to TX.

Have a great day

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also read through many of the forums on this site. You probably have noticed that quite a few people have bashed Texas cities on these threads. I would name my location if I went into those threads to bash other cities and states, but I don't feel the need to do that because, frankly I don't feel like that accomplishes anything. But since you asked, I am from Charlotte but do have connections to Texas. When UP opened a Texas subforum a few months ago I decided to look up some projects that were going on there and post them to try and help the subforum grow, you know positive contributions.

You're right, you are entitled to your opinions, but people also have the right to disagree with them. I'll be the first to admit that Texas or my hometown of Charlotte are not perfect places. Although if you read through the projects on the threads I think you will see that gains are being made. This is a forum about urban development, lets try to keep it that way.

Thank you monsoon! Ya I guess getting banned for that is a little to harsh, but it's just that it can really annoying to hear the same bs all the friggin time. No, not everyone here in Texas is conservative and closed minded. I for one consider myself a very open-minded person and I know there are many of us out here.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from San Antonio, and I must say I was impressed by the things I saw there. The Riverwalk was beautiful. I'll post photos of the city as soon as I can get a thread organized.

Dallas still is my favorite though. I voted for it.

Archived