Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RestedTraveler

Fort Wayne

32 posts in this topic

Here are some Photos of Fort Wayne, Indiana that I took this past weekend:

20050815045.jpg

20050815043.jpg

20050815047.jpg

20050815048.jpg

20050815054.jpg

20050815055.jpg

20050815056.jpg

20050815059.jpg

20050815062.jpg

20050815083.jpg

20050815085.jpg

20050815089.jpg

Enjoy!

Post 'em if you've got 'em! :thumbsup:

My sister goes to college down there and as of yet (this will be her sophomore year) she still hasn't ventured off campus. I'm currently deciding if I should still be speaking to her. Here's to hoping she discovers what I've discovered through your photographs, but then, her sense of direction is lacking.

WS

Cool pictures... the elephants are interesting

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think my brother-in-law told me that they were actually Mastadons. "Dons on Parade," inspired by the mascot of IUPUFW (Indiana University Purdue University Fort Wayne).

Fort Wayne is an often overlooked city. Really nice pictures!! Street level pics are always best IMO, since they give a better feel of the city to the viewer.

Thanks for all the nice comments!

I'll definitely add more pictures of Fort Wayne as I visit over the years, but it'd be cool if some folks that live there could jump online and contribute, too! :D I'd love to see more of Fort Wayne than I managed to see during my short weekend visit.

Man, I lived in Ft Wayne for 2.5 years, and I don't remember downtown looking that nice! Must be the photographer :) LOL! or because I spent too much time in the bars.......

besides Columbia St. West, the only buildings I really remember are the tallest office bldg, which is some sort of bank that I can't remember, and the residential tower. I always thought bank building was unique in how the building is really elevated.

Love the Lincoln building!! FW needs another tall building, it has been way too long since the last one was built.

I knew we had a Fort Wayne thread somewhere. I was doing some Indiana research and came accross this. It's a simple article, but it talks about a downtown stadium being built for the local baseball team. They have been talking about it for a while it could supposedly be a catalyst for the downtown area. I've really never been to Ft. Wayne, except on the bypass around it on I-69. Is the downtown area a little sleepy? Or has it suffered the same fate of other cities around it and is trying to get itself back to its glory days.

I knew we had a Fort Wayne thread somewhere. I was doing some Indiana research and came accross this. It's a simple article, but it talks about a downtown stadium being built for the local baseball team. They have been talking about it for a while it could supposedly be a catalyst for the downtown area. I've really never been to Ft. Wayne, except on the bypass around it on I-69. Is the downtown area a little sleepy? Or has it suffered the same fate of other cities around it and is trying to get itself back to its glory days.

There is a big announcement today from City Hall. I lived in FT. Wayne from 94' - 2000 and the main problem with development while I was there was some very old school and non-visionary city leaders. I know that for the past 4 years they have been getting some new/fresh players pushing for a more dynamic vision. The main beef was how under-utilized the river was that runs thru downtown.

I haven't been to FW in quite a few years but the plan for the stadium looks impressive. It sounds like it will be a major draw for the downtown.

This is a great proposal for Fort Wayne. I certainly hope it succeeds. I'm surprised that the ballpark for a Single-A team would cost $30 million though. That seems a bit high to me. Our new ballpark in Greenville, SC only cost around $15 million (private investment by the owners of the team) and another $7.5 million (public investment in infrastructure improvements around the ballpark - landscaping, utility work, etc.).

Here are more renderings (click on the renderings for a high-res image):

east-on-jefferson_thumb.jpg

overall_thumb.jpg

view-from-grand-wayne_thumb.jpg

site-plan_thumb.jpg

skyline-1.jpg

skyline-2.jpg

south-on-webster.jpg

For more details from the City of Fort Wayne Web site, CLICK HERE.

Ive been for the wayne and I can tell you it gets boring on the drive up 69 2hrs there and 2hrs back. Plus My car had to have gas 4 times on the way up and the way back. But I love it there nice as indy

I have driven around Ft. Wayne many a times, but I've never been downtown. I've heard it's pretty boring at night, that Fort Wayne suffers the same mediocrity, as alot of it's midwestern counterparts. Those renderings of a downtown ball park rock though. I love vistas from a baseball stadium surrounded by downtown highrises. Comerica in Detroit is my favorite by far.

I have driven around Ft. Wayne many a times, but I've never been downtown. I've heard it's pretty boring at night, that Fort Wayne suffers the same mediocrity, as alot of it's midwestern counterparts. Those renderings of a downtown ball park rock though. I love vistas from a baseball stadium surrounded by downtown highrises. Comerica in Detroit is my favorite by far.

Unless my plans get changed between now and then, I'll be heading up to Ft. Wayne and Indy again some time this year, so I'll be sure to get more photos while I'm there. I'm rather intrigued by Fort Wayne. It's one of those cities with an amazing amount of potential, along the lines of Grand Rapids, MI. It's a matter of time before people begin to capitalize on that potential, and I think this ballpark proposal may very possibly be a cornerstone being laid for the future revitalization of downtown. I'd like to see what this place will look like 30 years from now. :thumbsup:

GR definately is on fire, if Fort Wayne get's developement going on, on that kind of scale, I'd say you'd for sure have people from Fort Wayne lighting UP up..

I plan on going to Fort Wayne sometime. Are there any small towns near it worth hitting up too?

All of Northern Indiana is worth Hitting up, South Bend, Ft. Wayne, Gary, the Indiana Chicago-land suburbs.

All full of cool stuff.

I guess a good question would be how far from Ft. Wayne do you want to explore? Are you looking for interesting small towns within a short distance of the city?