Fort Wayne

RestedTraveler

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sister goes to college down there and as of yet (this will be her sophomore year) she still hasn't ventured off campus. I'm currently deciding if I should still be speaking to her. Here's to hoping she discovers what I've discovered through your photographs, but then, her sense of direction is lacking.

WS

Thanks for all the nice comments!

I'll definitely add more pictures of Fort Wayne as I visit over the years, but it'd be cool if some folks that live there could jump online and contribute, too! :D I'd love to see more of Fort Wayne than I managed to see during my short weekend visit.

Man, I lived in Ft Wayne for 2.5 years, and I don't remember downtown looking that nice! Must be the photographer :) LOL! or because I spent too much time in the bars.......

besides Columbia St. West, the only buildings I really remember are the tallest office bldg, which is some sort of bank that I can't remember, and the residential tower. I always thought bank building was unique in how the building is really elevated.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I knew we had a Fort Wayne thread somewhere. I was doing some Indiana research and came accross this. It's a simple article, but it talks about a downtown stadium being built for the local baseball team. They have been talking about it for a while it could supposedly be a catalyst for the downtown area. I've really never been to Ft. Wayne, except on the bypass around it on I-69. Is the downtown area a little sleepy? Or has it suffered the same fate of other cities around it and is trying to get itself back to its glory days.

I knew we had a Fort Wayne thread somewhere. I was doing some Indiana research and came accross this. It's a simple article, but it talks about a downtown stadium being built for the local baseball team. They have been talking about it for a while it could supposedly be a catalyst for the downtown area. I've really never been to Ft. Wayne, except on the bypass around it on I-69. Is the downtown area a little sleepy? Or has it suffered the same fate of other cities around it and is trying to get itself back to its glory days.

There is a big announcement today from City Hall. I lived in FT. Wayne from 94' - 2000 and the main problem with development while I was there was some very old school and non-visionary city leaders. I know that for the past 4 years they have been getting some new/fresh players pushing for a more dynamic vision. The main beef was how under-utilized the river was that runs thru downtown.

This is a great proposal for Fort Wayne. I certainly hope it succeeds. I'm surprised that the ballpark for a Single-A team would cost $30 million though. That seems a bit high to me. Our new ballpark in Greenville, SC only cost around $15 million (private investment by the owners of the team) and another $7.5 million (public investment in infrastructure improvements around the ballpark - landscaping, utility work, etc.).

I have driven around Ft. Wayne many a times, but I've never been downtown. I've heard it's pretty boring at night, that Fort Wayne suffers the same mediocrity, as alot of it's midwestern counterparts. Those renderings of a downtown ball park rock though. I love vistas from a baseball stadium surrounded by downtown highrises. Comerica in Detroit is my favorite by far.

I have driven around Ft. Wayne many a times, but I've never been downtown. I've heard it's pretty boring at night, that Fort Wayne suffers the same mediocrity, as alot of it's midwestern counterparts. Those renderings of a downtown ball park rock though. I love vistas from a baseball stadium surrounded by downtown highrises. Comerica in Detroit is my favorite by far.

• 5 weeks later...

Unless my plans get changed between now and then, I'll be heading up to Ft. Wayne and Indy again some time this year, so I'll be sure to get more photos while I'm there. I'm rather intrigued by Fort Wayne. It's one of those cities with an amazing amount of potential, along the lines of Grand Rapids, MI. It's a matter of time before people begin to capitalize on that potential, and I think this ballpark proposal may very possibly be a cornerstone being laid for the future revitalization of downtown. I'd like to see what this place will look like 30 years from now. :thumbsup:

Archived