Fort Wayne

RestedTraveler

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, it's not that bad in GR. I know GR and it has a definate core with inner, and outer ring suburbs. There is ofcourse the whole religious stigma there, but that's certainly starting to even out especially in the last 15 years.

• 3 months later...

Coming late to this forum. I just found out about UrbanPlanet.

As I noted in another thread, I live in Fort Wayne (West Central Neighborhood). It's pleasant and close to downtown.

The city's current administration is pretty forward-thinking and has done some things to move Fort Wayne beyond the "This Is The Way We've Always Done It" mindset, and a lot hangs on the next election; the Republican candidate, who runs a small architectural firm with a lame web site and whose concepts of urban planning and design are firmly rooted in 1970, promises to turn back the clock and reinvigorate Fort Wayne's death-grip on mediocrity. He has a strong evangelical conservative base, so he's a threat despite his lack of experience and competence. The Democratic Party candidate is a pretty savvy businessman whose family has been instrumental in constructive work to bring jobs and raise the quality of life in the community. A lot hangs on the next mayoral election.

It's a nice affordable place to live, though short on excitement; there are good cultural amenities and pleasant neighborhoods. The location isn't bad, because Chicago and Indianapolis are both in the 3-4 hour drive range. I like it, but then, I'm well past the clubbing and partying phase.

Coming late to this forum. I just found out about UrbanPlanet.

As I noted in another thread, I live in Fort Wayne (West Central Neighborhood). It's pleasant and close to downtown.

The city's current administration is pretty forward-thinking and has done some things to move Fort Wayne beyond the "This Is The Way We've Always Done It" mindset, and a lot hangs on the next election; the Republican candidate, who runs a small architectural firm with a lame web site and whose concepts of urban planning and design are firmly rooted in 1970, promises to turn back the clock and reinvigorate Fort Wayne's death-grip on mediocrity. He has a strong evangelical conservative base, so he's a threat despite his lack of experience and competence. The Democratic Party candidate is a pretty savvy businessman whose family has been instrumental in constructive work to bring jobs and raise the quality of life in the community. A lot hangs on the next mayoral election.

It's a nice affordable place to live, though short on excitement; there are good cultural amenities and pleasant neighborhoods. The location isn't bad, because Chicago and Indianapolis are both in the 3-4 hour drive range. I like it, but then, I'm well past the clubbing and partying phase.

Rob - who is the mayor now. When I left I think Helmke was just finishing up and there was a female that was going to try and run. Too long for me to remember. I also remember that Steve Shine pretty much ran the city - still true?

Anyway, I miss the diner downtown and the lunch special "garbage"

• 5 weeks later...

On Saturday, June 23, from noon to 5 p.m. there will be tours of 10 historic homes on Forest Park Boulevard, adjacent to Lakeside Park. Forest Park Boulevard is the city's most recently designated historic neighborhood, mostly developed in the 15 years before the crash of 1929.

One of the homes that will be featured on the tour:

20060927_043_forest_pk_blv.jpg

Nearby Lakeside Park:

20060927_010_lakeside_pk.jpg

There's a more extensive set of photos of the park and boulevard here

A friend from urbanohio.com is coming to Fort Wayne that weekend for a wedding, and he and I plan to get together on the 23rd for a tour of the city. If anyone plans to be in town then and would like to join us for an impromptu small meet-up, use the email link on my web site.

Archived