Finally, some sanity comes to Sprawlsville

monsoon

There is an interesting article in the Observer today that says Union county has finally enacted a moratorium on new subdivisions in the county until they can figure out how to manage the really bad development that has gone on in that county. If there was ever a poster child for bad development in NC, Union county would have to be at the top of the list. Its mind boggling they have 14,000 homes in the planning phase as you read this.

These building moratorium's have been a good tool for managing growth and were pioneered in the area by Huntersville. Unfortunately the new restrictions are always just one election away from being gutted as is the case in Huntersville right now.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish they would just stop building so many subdivisions and just build homes on side streets - such as neighborhoods like Myers Park and towns up North - that way all the streets connect and there is more than one way out. Think about when you go to Cornelius or Dilworth and you have homes lining the street with big trees - I think it allows places to have more "character" over time, and maybe they can leave some trees intact so they just don't clear out a huge piece of land and plop a bunch of homes down in a field..

They wouldn't have to have moratoriums if they would figure out that subdivisions are a form of bad development - I think it's okay to have a few every now and then as some people prefer them, but I think they need to stop allowing most of them.

There is an interesting article in the Observer today that says Union county has finally enacted a moratorium on new subdivisions in the county until they can figure out how to manage the really bad development that has gone on in that county.  If there was ever a poster child for bad development in NC, Union county would have to be at the top of the list.  Its mind boggling they have 14,000 homes in the planning phase as you read this. 

These building moratorium's have been a good tool for managing growth and were pioneered in the area by Huntersville.  Unfortunately the new restrictions are always just one election away from being gutted as is the case in Huntersville right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

14,000 homes !!!

That would be close to 50,000 additional residents MB, if you assume that there were 3.5 residents per a home developed. (which is probably close to accurate, since Union tends to be family oriented)

A2

Archived