Are NC cities Liberal or not?

Skyybutter

NCMike, I couldn't agree with you more. Once you leave the metro areas it's overwhelmingly conservative. But still, I'd never show any affection toward my partner of 6 years in public in ANY NC city for that matter...the radical "religious" people are in every city. I even fear going into Gay bars at times depending on the city and area. These people give prime example for the slogan "Dear Jesus save me from your followers".

I wouldn't be so scared of showing affection to your partner. I show affection to my boyfriend here in every large city we've been to (Raleigh, Charlotte, Winston, Greensboro, Durham (of course) Asheville, and High Point). Honestly, the most we've ever gotten is a few strange looks, but most people just don't care. It has always seemed to me (and I'm from NC) that most people, if they don't like seeing gays or lesbians show affection, they just don't say anything at all. Give it a shot... you might be surprised at the lack of protest or harassment that you get. Also, I've never felt unsafe walking into any gay bar in this state. What gay bars have you felt uncomfortable going in, just out of curiousity?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NCMike, I couldn't agree with you more. Once you leave the metro areas it's overwhelmingly conservative. But still, I'd never show any affection toward my partner of 6 years in public in ANY NC city for that matter...the radical "religious" people are in every city. I even fear going into Gay bars at times depending on the city and area. These people give prime example for the slogan "Dear Jesus save me from your followers".

The most liberal city would have to be Chapel Hill due to it's domestic partner registration policy with Asheville coming in close second. I've seen people in other threads suggest Winston as a liberal city b/c of the NC School of the Arts...it's far from it! It's not Bibletown, NC, but when the people of this area vote for officials who run ads applauding their conservative views (Foxx..."I'm a conservative and make no bones about it"), you can't begin to think otherwise.

Not that being a Democrat automatically means you're a liberal, but it's always been interesting that Winston-Salem has had a Democratic mayor (except for 4 years of Jack Cavanaugh) and a majority Democratic city council for decades. After yesterday's election it's 7-1 in favor of Democrats with the ultra-conservative Vernon Robinson losing. Additionally, it is home to the School of the Arts and a large, well-supported arts community. Yet, somehow the city is still conservative.

Along those same lines, the Governorship and General Assembly has been in Democratic hands more often than in Republican hands, yet the state is reliably conservative on a national level. Jesse Helms and Lauch Faircloth represented the state while Jim Hunt was governor. Erskine Bowles and Harvey Gantt both lost twice. And, the state hasn't voted for a Democrat for president since Carter in '76 and that was largely a backlash to the Watergate.

It seems to me that our cities, barring a couple exceptions, are liberal leaning. The issue seems to be that they're too small currently to outweigh the popular votes within the state, and sometimes within their own counties (Asheville, Boone, Raleigh).

With some population growth and urbanization, I suspect NC will look politically more and more like a Mid-Atlantic state than a southern one. That seems to be the direction it's headed. It's hard to see it ever becoming a blue state. It's too entrenched, but it might be a swing state in a few decades, unless US politics change dramatically before then.

Archived