Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allan

Tours take in downtown Flint lofts

9 posts in this topic

I've been waiting for an article like this for a while, so I was pleasantly surprised to open the paper yesterday to see this rather comprehensive article.

http://www.mlive.com/business/fljournal/in...ll=5&thispage=1

And if you're interested in seeing for yourself, they offer several tour dates. Unfortunately they obviously don't understand that most people work during the day...you'd think they'd offer a couple evening tours....

http://www.mlive.com/business/fljournal/in...6090.xml&coll=5

Thats great about both of those. I am excited to get the chance to tour these places. I may go this week.

I have been following these forums and mlive daily because I was moving to Flint. I am now there and eager to see these projects.

I'm going on the 8:30am tour on Tuesday. I wanted to go this week, but I have class on Thursday, and I can't miss the final exam....

It'll be interesting to see the inside of some of the projects. Downtown Flint has made some pretty big strides in the last year or so, starting with the completion of the new streetscape on Saginaw. There's a long way to go, but we've gotten quite a bit accomplished. Heck, they're even working on Genesee Towers...it looks like Kumar is getting his act together finally.

^ Genesee Towers is just being repaired (or supposedly looks like it), not that it isn't a miracle!

Hope you guys enjoy the tour (I know I did). The two hours go by pretty quickly.

Yeah, they've got the sidewalk around the towers blocked off. They were working when I was downtown Tuesday. I tried to snap a photo while driving, but that didn't work very well.

I also noticed that they were re-boarding the Durant. It looks like maybe they evicted one of the squatters who was living in there...they had a pile of crap stacked up under the canopy in the back.

So, there is more extensive work going on at Genesee Towers? Or is it more of the same? I wish we had tours like that here. Every once in awhile we'll have tours of Old Town, but nothing of downtown.

Just more facade repairs. I looked when they were doing the east facade...it didn't look like they had done anything to me, since the whole thing was still chipped and rusty when they were done with it.

But the fact that they're even doing more extensive repairs now could be a sign that there is a plan in place to revitalize the tower.