New-look Signature

william

Friends,

I have heard from a respected downtown insider (and a person who has a very impressive knowledge of the built environment) that the new-look Signature design is an improvement compared to the original look. Of course, this is just one person's opinion.

We will know Wednesday.

Now the hope is that the tower will be built.

William Williams

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that the new design didn't pay even more homage to the L & C Tower. In other words, breaks the height barrier. I can understand the desire to have everything as tall, but not taller than, the L & C Tower. It just really gets a bit old after you see a proposal shot down due to its height. Maybe city leaders have seen the light. Who knows?

According to the plannning commission, there is NO height limit in downtown. The L&C has not been near the tallest in years.

L&C 410 feet built 1957

Snodgrass (then the National Life Center) 450 feet built 1970

Financial Center 492 feet built 1986

Bellsouth Tower 617 feet built 1994

The proposed Nashville City Center 2 was 596 feet but was not built because of the economy and SMC of 1987

The Tower at 7th and Commerce was proposed at 48 stories and close to 700 feet, but was not built due to no lead tennant

According to the plannning commission, there is NO height limit in downtown. The L&C has not been near the tallest in years.

L&C 410 feet built 1957

Snodgrass (then the National Life Center) 450 feet built 1970

Financial Center 492 feet built 1986

Bellsouth Tower 617 feet built 1994

The proposed Nashville City Center 2 was 596 feet but was not built because of the economy and SMC of 1987

The Tower at 7th and Commerce was proposed at 48 stories and close to 700 feet, but was not built due to no lead tennant

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I say height limit loosely. I guess it is more of a gentlemens aggreement between developers and the city. Well if you look at the Bellsouth Tower it has no floors above the 32nd. It is all ornimental from there up. I am saying something like a "Hurst Tower" or a building with over 40 floors. I realize that the market dictates the size an all.

Which gentlemen, Lex, they're all dead. Besides, the L&C has been sold and is more likely going to live the rest of its life as a condo tower...and cool one at that, imo. Nobody local owns anything much of substance downtown so even if agreements were understood in the past, those who might have made such agreements are long gone. The L&C became the property of the Am. General Insurance Co. of Houston a long time ago, 1970 or around that. From then on, most of Nashville was for sale. L&C has no power here now. But I love my landmark.

Which gentlemen, Lex, they're all dead. Besides, the L&C has been sold and is more likely going to live the rest of its life as a condo tower...and cool one at that, imo. Nobody local owns anything much of substance downtown so even if agreements were understood in the past, those who might have made such agreements are long gone. The L&C became the property of the Am. General Insurance Co. of Houston a long time ago, 1970 or around that. From then on, most of Nashville was for sale. L&C has no power here now. But I love my landmark.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Point well taken. I guess that it is more about the market demand than anything else. When you have a suburb like Cool Springs sucking office space out of the city and Murfreesboro strongly pushing to develop the "Gateway" into office parks, I can see a different side to the story.

Point well taken.  I guess that it is more about the market demand than anything else.  When you have a suburb like Cool Springs sucking office space out of the city and Murfreesboro strongly pushing to develop the "Gateway" into office parks, I can see a different side to the story.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we all feel the same way about office parks on the outskirts. I believe we had a thread going around not too long ago about that. I would love to see all major developments in the CBD but its getting so bad West End projects like the WES excite me just because its pretty close to the CBD and not out in Donelson, Cool Springs, or any of the many suburbs with the huge office parks.

It's funny. When Tony first presented the Sig, he mentioned around 250,000 sq ft of office, the rest something else. SunTrust is what, 350 or so? But when Cool Springs, Hendersonville, Murfreesboro get into the mix there talking millions of sq ft. As long as they toss us a 50-story building every now and then, I guess they can build what they want. Of course, right now, I'm just hoping for one...hopefully we'll get that presented tomorrow. If not so tall, I hope its bad-ass.

Hey guys... it's nice...

However, I guess I was one of the few people who REALLY liked the first rendering.... I just thought it had alot of elegance and architectural integrity... this one is nice... but I think it looks like it's trying too hard to be cool... Not to crazy about how it just shoots straight up and has that "pineapple" top... I will say this though... at ground level I like it MUCH better than the original signature... Just wish they would use this design at ground level, and the top of the original one.... But thats just my opinion... and I have a feeling I am a minority here.. hehehehehe

It's still nice though...

Just a question... I saw the pics on their website and it looks like its the same height as the Bell South Tower (which I know it isn't)... I find that odd since I heard that the land is actually higher where the Sig. would go... is this true? I just thought it would look ALOT taller than the Bellsouth....

As a residentail tower, its floors are shorter. Tony told me that it would be same height as a 46-story office tower at approx. 635 feet. I don't know if that includes the spire or not. This is a beauty and won't overwhelm the skyline. I loved what I saw.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the diagram detailing the height as compared to the example office building, I scaled off the spire to be about 220' +/-. The spire should count as part of the building based on the renderings making it officially a 855' tall building.

Wow!

Ok... I'm a girl.. so bear with me as I pick (sorry....)

Why is nearly EVERY building in Nashville (including this NEW one) the same color?!??! I like the fact that the Viridian is GREEN... it pops because it's not the same color as 70% of the other buildings (including the library, the new symphony center, and very probably the courthouse)... if you look at the picture on their website where they show the building from the front.... you see that nearly all the buildings in the pic are the same color... it'll pop at night if all the lights are on like it is in the picture... but during the day... won't it blend in???

First, office tower floors are 12 foot, residential are 10 feet, and generally some hotels are actually 8-9 feet. (That is why the Sheraton is so short)

In the literature The Signature Tower has white glass and silver trim, in the video it says silver glass and white trim. In either case, this is the first silver or white glass tower in Nashville. Depending on the weather, the color will drastically change.

It is 700 feet with the spire. It is in no way close to 855 feet!

If they have an above ground parking garage, the construction will be a lot shorter. The time it would take to excavate 90 feet for a garage would take over a year! I bet they use a combination of piles and caissons on this one. If they have above ground parking, they may only dig 10 feet or so. The footers are going to be HUGE on this thing.

If this goes through and I think it will, look for another one to be announced for another surface lot. Once word gets out, Nashville will skyrocket past Birmingham, Memphis, Little Rock, and we WILL be up there with Charlotte and Jacksonville.

:D

First, office tower floors are 12 foot, residential are 10 feet, and generally some hotels are actually 8-9 feet. (That is why the Sheraton is so short)

In the literature The Signature Tower has white glass and silver trim, in the video it says silver glass and white trim. In either case, this is the first silver or white glass tower in Nashville. Depending on the weather, the color will drastically change.

It is 700 feet with the spire. It is in no way close to 855 feet!

If they have an above ground parking garage, the construction will be a lot shorter. The time it would take to excavate 90 feet for a garage would take over a year! I bet they use a combination of piles and caissons on this one. If they have above ground parking, they may only dig 10 feet or so. The footers are going to be HUGE on this thing.

If this goes through and I think it will, look for another one to be announced for another surface lot. Once word gets out, Nashville will skyrocket past Birmingham, Memphis, Little Rock, and we WILL be up there with Charlotte and Jacksonville.

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very well put.

BTW, it is a lot easier to get financing, and a construction loan when one has to pre-sell. I believe as soon as this hits the international papers in real estate sections namely the Wall Street Journal, Barrons, The Robb Report, and others these will sell VERY fast. Tony WILL advertise this nationally.

I predict ground breaking before May of 2006.

BTW, it is a lot easier to get  financing, and a construction loan when one has to pre-sell. I believe as soon as this hits the international papers in real estate sections namely the Wall Street Journal, Barrons, The Robb Report, and others these will sell VERY fast. Tony WILL advertise this nationally.

I predict ground breaking before May of 2006.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. The Viridian pre sold like a wildfire. Tony was very pleased with its pre sell rate. This should do just as well, if not better!

Archived