New-look Signature

william

I was planning on attending but then the rains came down I am just glad 'poet' and 'Dave' roughed it to give us the entire scoop.

Well my first impression is 'wow'.

- A building that could easily enhance Atlanta or Charlotte

- A building that will heighten Nashville

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was planning on attending but then the rains came down I am just glad 'poet' and 'Dave' roughed it to give us the entire scoop.

Well my first impression is 'wow'.

- A building that could easily enhance Atlanta or Charlotte

- A building that will heighten Nashville

A few excerpts from the meeting:

Tony said they'd talked to a several grocery operators and they're all interested. He said the grocery would be approx. 24,000 sq ft (6x the size of Hills.) I don't know about the grocery synergy here, or if that's even possible or desirable, but since the Viridian is Tony's also, I'm sure some agreement will be met.

Tony discussed the color of the building and how the Viridian's green will be so different than the "tan" look of all the buildings downtown. They studied long and hard about the Sig. He described it as "diamond colored" which, with the star shape of the building, along with the silver glass and metal and white skin, the colors will change with each time of day. Oooo, that sounds quite sweet. I don't think anybody will NOT notice this building, rain or shine.

The parking deck is visible in the renderings, but will be surrounded by 12 floors of loft apartments on the two street sides. The parking facility will be invisible from 5th Ave, and Church St. Access will be from a drive through on the 5th side, with alley access beside Mckendree Church.

From the apts. through the 45th floor will be condos. The initial plan is to have 28 penthouse units pushing the prices to levels and amenities not ever seen anywhere near here. Private parking decks, penthouse elevators, etc. I'm a little foggy on the floor count details.

150 units will be, as required by MDHA, "afforable" units. Tony predicted the prices to be around $150,000 for those. I guess the multi-million dollar penthouses don't count, do they. Rats.

As mentioned, parking will be above ground, so no big hole will be needed.

The base of the building will contain "transparent" retail and lobby areas as opposed to disquised parking decks to keep the building alive from top to botton, no parking deck darkness after nightfall, clever.

No office, no hotel, just living units. Brilliant plan.

Bound, I just keep thinking about you and your location and how it seems your location is making more and more sense as time goes by. That's pretty cool. Pretty soon, you'll be able to talk a walk without falling in craters.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I can not take much credit the Westview was about the only development in the core that actually had finished units. I was homeless and for a family of four about three months is all the in-laws can stand. ;)

But as things develop I will agree with you and say thank you. We are perfectly located between the Gulch and 2nd Ave. and within easy walking distance to the Coliseum, the GEC and the new Sounds ballpark.

Now I am ready for some neighbors down here...

Hello everyone,

Ok so this is my first post. I've been a lurker for some time and really love this site. I was at the "show" tonight and wow was it great. I just wanted to give my view and understanding of the info presented. My opinion...I love the design!

Tony said that he is looking for an approval rate of 80% from the community on the design. He is really going out of his way to listen to what the city wants. He gave a time table for completion of the project which goes as follows.

1. Have the financing together by Dec. 31, 2005.

2. Develope the full and detailed design by the end of 2006.

3. Begin construction by the begining of 2007.

4. Anticipated construction time 36 months.

5. Completion of Signatuer tower by the end of 2009/begining of 2010.

I asked Tony about the total height of the tower and he definitely did not want to say. The input from the community, he said, strongly suggested arriving at the height of a 46 story office building. This would be approx. 635 ft. Why this is the number I don't know. This is the equivalent of the 55 storey Signature. He clearly was avoiding divulging the height of the "crown" and spire. I believe he is worried about people being too critical of any excess of total footage (as if it is possible to be too tall), and also might not want to commit to a height and then be forced to shorten it. The presentation made a point to say that the height of the 55 floors would be 635 ft.(All of the renderings show this) If they stick with the crown and spire it will definitely exceed 800 ft and probably closer to 850. (Based on the scale of the rendering)

I think they are very close to having the financing and I agree that it was brilliant to change the design for all residential and retail. Tony also said that the selling of the penthouse levels were crucial to the project because they will more or less pave the way for the rest of the construction costs. He seemed very confident that not only would they sell but that they would sell early. The new architects seemed way more in touch with our city than the other.

Well, that's it for post #1. Please be kind. Based on all my lurking, I know you will.

Hello everyone,

The presentation made a point to say that the height of the 55 floors would be 635 ft.(All of the renderings show this) If they stick with the crown and spire it will definitely exceed 800 ft and probably closer to 850. (Based on the scale of the rendering)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome aboard and thanks for validating my earlier estimate of an 850' +/- tall building. I think you are right about the developer wanting to downplay the total height. An 855' building would be the 7th tallest building in NYC. That might cause concern among some. However, the building will not overpower the skyline as designed, but still makes a strong statement about the strength of this city.

Thanks for the welcome. There's one humorous thing that I forgot to mention. Tony started the presentation by commenting on the old design and how it came about. He said that the original design was based on his love and appreciation of the classic buildings built in the early 1900's (New York). Then he talked about how the design changed due to public desire for a more modern tower. Afterward, I told Tony that I thought that even though it was indeed more modern, it still had a very classic appearance reminiscent of the Chrysler building. He laughed and basically told me not to spoil his little secret. UH OOPS.

Tony discussed the color of the building and how the Viridian's green will be so different than the "tan" look of all the buildings downtown.
I guess I'm not the only one who feels this way!! Yay!!

Tony started the presentation by commenting on the old design and how it came about. He said that the original design was based on his love and appreciation of the classic buildings built in the early 1900's (New York).

Thats exactly what I liked about it!!!! It had this totally cool "Gotham" vibe to it!!!!

They studied long and hard about the Sig. He described it as "diamond colored" which, with the star shape of the building, along with the silver glass and metal and white skin, the colors will change with each time of day. Oooo, that sounds quite sweet. I don't think anybody will NOT notice this building, rain or shine.

Well... that sounds nice... if it's something that will change colors throughout the day... and as long as its not just a poured concrete, asphalt type skin.... then I think it probably will pop... we have a building down here that changes colors like that and its really cool!!

You know... if the other rendering had never been shown, I probably would have liked this new one ALOT more... But your right... it does kind of look like a modern Chrysler Building... I have a feeling this building will grow on me... I just need some time to mourn the old one :unsure::(:cry:

Here, Paula, have a hanky. :)

To Rural King specifically. One of the points Tony brought up last night was the public's input about the original design's car cuts and plazas. The public said no to those, so the immense space originally planned as plaza areas has been eliminated to give entice the building into some synergy with the street. There will be no vehicular considerations for the street sides of the building. It'll be built to the sidewalks to enhance the growing urban corridor that Church Street is becoming with full pedestrian orientation.

Someone's watching out for you. Validation of opinion, it's sweet, isn't it.

If I could ask again, why would Tony go to the trouble of having the building redesigned, with new website and glitzy video, only to announce that the redesign would not be finished for another 12-15 months ?

And whence the discrepancy between grounbreaking April 2006, 'if not sooner', and 'by early 2007' ?

No doubt there are a lot of contingencies with all of this... but wouldn't it be something if you saw T.G. propose his older design for his recently acquired property in the gulch? I think it has potential frontage along Church Street too. (If... If... If... If...) :huh:

Dale,

Maybe they don't want to start building the Signature until they finish the Viridian... that street looks pretty narrow... don't know if it could support two large constructions.. with cranes and whatnot at the same time... maybe thats why it will take a bit longer to get started?

but wouldn't it be something if you saw T.G. propose his older design for his recently acquired property in the gulch?

ATLBrain... THAT would be awesome!!! I'm probably the only one who really LOVED the original rendering (well Tony did too... hehehehe).... Hey... I wouldn't even mind if he he made it a little bit shorter (10-12 stories shorter.. no more than that) in order not to compete with the new Signature Tower!!!! To have both those towers!!!! Plus the ICON (I LOVED LOVED LOVED the Icon!!! It looks like a new building on "corner" of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan (if someone will teach me how to post a pic here.. I'll let you guys see...). WOW!!! Plus the Viridian PLUS the Suntrust!!! That would look AWESOME!!!

To Rural King specifically. One of the points Tony brought up last night was the public's input about the original design's car cuts and plazas. The public said no to those, so the immense space originally planned as plaza areas has been eliminated to give entice the building into some synergy with the street. There will be no vehicular considerations for the street sides of the building. It'll be built to the sidewalks to enhance the growing urban corridor that Church Street is becoming with full pedestrian orientation.

Someone's watching out for you. Validation of opinion, it's sweet, isn't it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I think the elimination of the plaza is great. That has always been a gripe of mine, too many plazas in the CBD. Its great to see Nashville get the great urban tower it deserves. This is going to be great for the city. Good things lay ahead folks (IMO), and I think this may be the catalyst that cements further ambitious projects in the future.

Something I really like though is that there are going to be two groceries with street frontage on Church now!!! What is this 1945?!? LOL Its great!!! I hope they both succeed and do great business.

Tony G really done right by the city. My hat's off to him.

OK - I'm a little late to the game here - but I love this.. the original was nice, but I thought it wasn't nearly striking enough. It was tall and it was pretty -- but this one just knocks my socks off..

Now I'm really in a quandary - we'd love to live right downtown one day - but where we are, we have this great view of the developing skyline. When to give that up for the CBD? Who knows.. I guess we'll know when the time is right!

And wow - what if he really were to put the original design in the Gulch? I'm all for it.!

thanks again everybody - this is a great forum and I've really enjoyed listening in even if I don't have much to say!

David

thanks again everybody - this is a great forum and I've really enjoyed listening in even if I don't have much to say!

Hey David!!!!

Don't let that stop you!!! I don't have much to say either.. but I never let that stop me :rofl:

Half the time the folks here are nice enough to humor me and answer my questions.. and rely to my posts....

the other half? well... they just ignore me... :D heheheheheheheh

No really... they are very nice!!!!! Please! Don't be a stranger!!!!

Paula

WWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I ACTUALLY figured out how to post a pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

skyline-night.jpg

9.jpg

Anyways.. my point is... how tall was the original one?!?!?! It looks ALOT taller than the new one.... which, I am liking more and more... everytime I look at it... it grows on me a little more.... I guess I just had the old one sooo in mind that the new one looked out of place....

It looks ALOT taller in comparrison to the buildings around it than the new one (even with the crown).... does anyone know?!?!?!?! Could it be that the new one is 650 feet tall INCLUDING the crown?!?!?! I have to admit that it did fit in better than the old one with the skyline.... however the old one was a wider so it closed off the gaps better, I think... Will it always be lit up like that at night? Are they hoping people won't turn off their lights at night, or will it be light from the outside? Won't the glare bother the people in the building? :silly:

Anyways... it really would be great if the first one went in the gulch (at a smaller scale, of course)....

By the way... what is the name of the building behind the Sig? The one with the "parthenon" type top? I REALLY like that building!!!

PS: monsoon... I hope I haven't broken any rules in posting the pics... if I have let me know!!! :)

WWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I ACTUALLY figured out how to post a pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

skyline-night.jpg

9.jpg

Anyways.. my point is... how tall was the original one?!?!?!  It looks ALOT taller than the new one....  which, I am liking more and more... everytime I look at it... it grows on me a little more.... I guess I just had the old one sooo in mind that the new one looked out of place.... 

It looks ALOT taller in comparrison to the buildings around it than the new one (even with the crown).... does anyone know?!?!?!?!  Could it be that the new one is 650 feet tall INCLUDING the crown?!?!?!  I have to admit that it did fit in better than the old one with the skyline.... however the old one was a wider so it closed off the gaps better, I think...  Will it always be lit up like that at night?  Are they hoping people won't turn off their lights at night, or will it be light from the outside?  Won't the glare bother the people in the building? :silly:

Anyways... it really would be great if the first one went in the gulch (at a smaller scale, of course)....

By the way... what is the name of the building behind the Sig?  The one with the "parthenon" type top?  I REALLY like that building!!!

PS:  monsoon... I hope I haven't broken any rules in posting the pics... if I have let me know!!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived