New-look Signature

william

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey daddy yo, you see how nice everyone has been in response to your ridiculous comments. well, i don't mind in getting into the muck. you obviously live in nashville, but i'm guessing you are originally from somewhere else . . . somewhere like new york. you sound like one of those people from upstate new york who comes down here and describes every city they see as a truck stop compared to a real city like new york. They just dish it out b/c their egos have been bruised by people from NYC dismissing them as hicks. Its a pathetic complex they bring w/them.

Seriously though, I would like to know why you think Nashville and Memphis are indistinguishable.

I take issue w/ someone saying we are always 12 yrs behind, actually there are some pretty progressive thinkers in this city. The Plan of Nashville is a good example, and would have to be considered one of the most progressive plans for a city anywhere in the nation. There is work all over the city to right bad city planning and sprawl that has taken place in the past. Whether you like it or not, Nashville will continue over the next five to ten yrs. to become one of the premiere cities in this country and people of logic will respect nashville for what it is, not for what a bunch of cry babies think it should be compared to other places.

anyway i really love the redesign. it seems like, from the renderings, that this one really just eases into the skyline like it just belongs.

Does anyone know if there is a city where the 'signature' building of the city, the tallest building in the city is one that is primarily residential? or one that doesn't have any office space? All of the iconic buildings I can think of in other cities are all at least partially office towers. Would this be a first in that category?

Being from Fort Lauderdale, I can attest to the fact that the tallest "skyscraper" in Fort Lauderdale is in fact 100% residential. Same goes for Miami Beach too.. I believe.

It's not as tall as the Signature will be... just 42 stories... coming in at 452 feet.

The Las Olas River House is Located in Downtown Fort Lauderdale, but is 100% residential:

LasOlasRiverHouse.jpg

lo_riverhouse.JPG

riverhouse-under-const.jpg

Personally, I liked the design... but HATED the glass they used. Once built it was NOT as nice as in the sketches!!!! Because of the glass they used tts super opaque... it looks like theres a drop cloth around it and is waiting to be painted or repaired or something..... but it looks really nice against the skyline (which you can't really see in these shots, due to the location of the building). In this picture you can REALLY see what I mean (by the way I used to work at that building next it... the Sun-Sentinel:

353199.jpg

Get this... units there go for 400,000 to 10,000,000... thats right.... 10 MILLION!!!!!

thanks for the info guys

linclink--sorry i am ignorant about ft.laud.--so are those pics near downtown or is that something like midtown? i was thinking it would probably be dt if it is the tallest building. anyway, i think i like that bottom pic the best, it is so different from anything around here. very clean looking too.

Really?? Wow!!! As usual I am in the minority... hehehehhe most people around here like it too... but I just think the windows are too bland.... but your right... it does have a "clean" look to it...

As for your question... yes... it is Downtown... its that downtown borders the New River... and the Building is right ON the new river.... on the other side there are all the million dollar homes... since the New River branches off into a ton of "canals"... so all the houses sit on the water.... So the angle you are seeing it from... the picture is being taken from another downtown building... towards the "edge" of downtown and in the background is a residential neighborhood.... so you can't really see the skyline... I'll try and post a pic of downtown... I've been meaning to start a Fort Lauderdale thread on the Florida part of the forum with all my pics of downtown... but for now I'll post 1 or 2 pics from the net... if you guys down't mind... this is after all the Nashville forum... :)

SouthsideJ!

linclink--sorry i am ignorant about ft.laud.--so are those pics near downtown or is that something like midtown? i was thinking it would probably be dt if it is the tallest building. anyway, i think i like that bottom pic the best, it is so different from anything around here. very clean looking too.

I don't want to flood you guys with pics from here... and I don't think that would be possible even if I wanted to.. hehehe for some reason, there aren't many pics of Fort Lauderdales skyline on the web.... And even when you find them, they are all from about 5 years ago and are missing several buildings... but these will have to do for now... I need to upload my pics... These are from a wierd angle... but you get the picture....

skyline03c.jpg

dale18.jpg

dale11.jpg

At this point, I believe that ALL "towers" going up in Fort Lauderdale are Residential. I'd say about 60% are Downtown, other 40% are on the intercoastal, or at the beach.

Just a little aside: According to the Sun-Sentinel we are about to experience a second "boom" (the first started about 3 years ago). The following are the major DOWNTOWN projects that are currently happening, or will begin within the next 18 months:

There are currently 45 buildings going up or waiting to go up within an 18 month period!!!!!

An As yet Unnamed Tower

48 stories 514 feet high (puny next to the Sig...hehehe)

354 condos

Hyde Market

42 stories, 272 condos

Jackson Tower

32 stories 398 condos

Summit Las Olas

35 stories 369 condos

300 Third

30 stories 278 units

The Strand

32 stories 253 condos

Las Olas Grand 38 Stories , all Townhomes

(next to the River House)

Las Olas Place

(35 stories) completed May 2005

The WaterGardens

(31 stories)

Technically downtown is only about 8 blocks by maybe 8 blocks... but with these new buildings, they are adding about 8 blocks to the Northern side of downtown.

In all there are 35 Buildings coming up... but I'm too lazy to right all of them down, so I only did the ones over 30 stories tall...

And thats not counting all the buildings and townhomes going up on pretty much EVERY STREET you drive by... even IN neighborhoods!!!!

THIS is why I liked Nashville.... while Fort Lauderdale is becoming more and more beautiful each day... its also losing all its personality. What made me love this place was the slower pace, the "small town" feel, even though they had a cool "downtown" on Las Olas where you could walk and eat at cafes, etc... etc... Back then the 4 "tall" buildings were 4-8 stories!!! I was 11 when we moved, and am now 28, so you get the picture how fast and how furious the transformation was!!! Nashvillel is SOOO Much slower paced... people take time to talk... they drive SOOOO politely!!!!! Its incredible!!!! I am happy that Nashville is getting cool buildings and stuff...but I hope it doesn't change its laid back, souther ways!!!! Thats what made me want to move there!!!!!

SouthsideJ!

I don't want to flood you guys with pics from here... and I don't think that would be possible even if I wanted to.. hehehe for some reason, there aren't many pics of Fort Lauderdales skyline on the web....  And even when you find them, they are all from about 5 years ago and are missing  several buildings... but these will have to do for now...  I need to upload my pics...  These are from a wierd angle... but you get the picture....

skyline03c.jpg

dale18.jpg

dale11.jpg

At this point, I believe  that ALL "towers" going up in Fort Lauderdale are Residential.  I'd say about 60% are Downtown,  other 40% are on the intercoastal, or at the beach. 

Just a little aside:  According to the Sun-Sentinel we are about to experience a second "boom" (the first started about 3 years ago).  The following are the major DOWNTOWN projects that are currently happening, or will begin within the next 18 months:

There are currently 45 buildings going up or waiting to go up within an 18 month period!!!!!

An As yet Unnamed Tower

48 stories 514 feet high (puny next to the Sig...hehehe)

354 condos

Hyde Market

42 stories, 272 condos

Jackson Tower

32 stories 398 condos

Summit Las Olas

35 stories 369 condos

300 Third

30 stories 278 units

The Strand

32 stories 253 condos

Las Olas Grand 38 Stories , all Townhomes 

(next to the River House)

Las Olas Place

(35 stories) completed May 2005

The WaterGardens

(31 stories)

Technically downtown is only about 8 blocks by maybe 8 blocks... but with these new buildings, they are adding about 8 blocks to the Northern side of downtown.

In all there are 35 Buildings coming up... but I'm too lazy to right all of them down, so I only did the ones over 30 stories tall...

And thats not counting all the buildings and townhomes going up on pretty much EVERY STREET you drive by... even IN neighborhoods!!!!

THIS is why I liked Nashville.... while Fort Lauderdale is becoming more and more beautiful each day... its also losing all its personality.  What made me love this place was the slower pace, the "small town" feel, even though they had a cool "downtown" on Las Olas where you could walk and eat at cafes, etc... etc... Back then the talles building was 4 stories!!!  I was 11 when we moved, and am now 28, so you get the picture how fast and how furious the transformation was!!!  Nashvillel is SOOO Much slower paced... people take time to talk... they drive SOOOO politely!!!!!  Its incredible!!!!  I am happy that Nashville is getting cool buildings and stuff...but I hope it doesn't change its laid back, souther ways!!!!  Thats what made me want to move there!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

linc -

www.ddaftlaud.com seriously, seriously needs to update its website. See what you can do about that, okay ? ;)

Rural King,

Your right!! I think the Signature Building is MUCH more "skyscraper" than the fort lauderdale on... not just in height but in style too!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it IS a MUCH better match for Nashville!!!!! I only put a picture of it because someone asked about other fully residential "signature" buildings in other cities... I wasn't trying to compare them....

you'll REALLY love these buildings:

http://www.thecityreview.com/sky3.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I do like most of them. The point is that if you are going to make a modern building then design to modern standards. The main standard being that the shape be "sculptural". The form should be the whole of the building and define it from top to bottom. The architect should take the form and make it his own.

If you are going to make a classic "skyscaper" then conform to the design program that make it classical - 7:1 ratio, a base, a middle and a top and set backs that mimic the Manhattan sky exposure plane. The architect should take the program and make it his own.

The Signature does neither. Right now, it is looks like a copy of a Miro panting done by Phil Ponder.

Hey guys,

Sorry about posting pics of my area!! I REALLY wasn't trying to compare buildings or cities!!!

I mentioned that there aren't any decent pictures of Fort Lauderdale on the web and that I was going to post some... well Aessotariq beat me to the punch and started an AWESOME Ft. Lauderdale thread. I'd love it if you guys checked it out (especially Dave :) since you've been so great!!! and Dale and SouthsideJ since you asked about it) I've had SUCH a BLAST learning more about my future home (Nashville) here and you guys have been soooo great and welcoming and treated me like I already live there (hehehehe), in return, I'd love to be able to share the home I'm leaving with you guys!! You can check out her thread here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13710

You'll need to keep scrolling down till the end of the page as they posted more pics between posts)

Enjoy!!!

As for Nashville... I am really thrilled it's getting the Signature Tower!!! The tallest in our future down here is a puny 514feet!!! hehehehe Go Nashville!!!

Archived