• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EastSideResider

East, South, West, or North Charlotte?

Which side of Charlotte is your favorite  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which side of Charlotte is your favorite

• East Side
    • South Side
    • West Side
    • North Side

Congestions in the NORTH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

because the south has no traffic what so ever :D i guess we can forget about that whole widening of 485 dealio and finish our piece up north now since that is all cleared up

Charlotte's West and East Side are the same and the North and South side are the same. I think the East side has surpassed the West in being the most dangerous. I live near Independence HS/Eastland Mall, and it's so bad my neighbors said they were moving to South Charlotte. It's kind of a pattern now. South Charlotte is stealing all of the mid/upper class from the east and west side (the few that are left). And thanks to that it's just going more downhill, which I thought was impossible. The West/East side is low income. The South/North is high income. Does anybody have a solution for this growing pattern?

The West side is all black. The South/North is all white. And the East is Black/Hispanic? Does anybody have a solution for this growing pattern?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live in the north and there are tons of black families in the area. Furthermore, who cares??? Crime gravitates towards lower incomes areas, regardless of race.

But East side includes the gentrifying area from Plaza/Central up through NoDa. After Belmont is redeveloped and Piedmont Courts torn down, east side will have kind of a split personality. "Inner East" and "Outer East"...

The best houses? What do you mean by that? South Charlotte has the fanciest houses. And the mall? Do you mean Eastland? That could be the worst mall in Charlotte. It's fine if you like hats, jerseys, and shoes!! Which I do. haha. I don't like South Charlotte though. It's too high class for me.

North has plenty of run down areas too... Above Shamrock, east of 77, and south of 85, going east all the way to University, is filled with dilapidated rentals.

The best houses? What do you mean by that? South Charlotte has the fanciest houses. And the mall? Do you mean Eastland? That could be the worst mall in  Charlotte. It's fine if you like hats, jerseys, and shoes!! Which I do. haha. I don't like South Charlotte though. It's too high class for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, but thanks for your help.

I had always liked Central Ave in Charlotte, so east side for me.

As for south side, they are all posers - the real thing is across the state line :)

I live in windsor park bye eastland mal. Theres never any crime in my nieghborhood Windsor Park a safe EastSide niehborhood. Its location is great. With a great African American community. Kids play in this nieghborhood all the time without getting shot or beat up. Plus the Alexander home site which is located at one of these museums is in Windsor Park(EastSide).

I considered Windsor Park before moving to Starmount. They have a lot in common. Both are "not quite cool enough to be trendy" -- (therefore affordable) -- and both are close to some gentrifying areas and some sketchy ones too. They were both stable, entry-level late 50s early 60s middle class neighborhoods when new.

But I still think Starmount has a better chance of rising back. Windsor Park is surrounded by the apartments at Saigon corners, Eastland Mall, and all the crummy rentals along Plaza. And light rail won't be going through there to help stabilize things.

Main thing Windsor has going for it: It's close to uptown, inexpensive, has very frequest bus service via #9 and #41, and is close to the "funkiness" of Central Ave, for people who like some "grit" in their city... ;)

Since I am not from the Charlotte area, how is the West side as far as noise from the airport is concerned?

And could someone point me in the right direction regarding schools? I may be getting transferred to the area next Summer. I am leaning toward the East side or University City area.

Thanks guys (and gals).

The best schools seem to be on the south side. Providence and Myers Park are consistently considered in the listing of the top public high schools in the United States. The middle schools and elementary schools in the South Side are also the best in the city.

High School Scores

Middle School Scores

Elementary School Scores

Since I am not from the Charlotte area, how is the West side as far as noise from the airport is concerned?

And could someone point me in the right direction regarding schools? I may be getting transferred to the area next Summer. I am leaning toward the East side or University City area.

Thanks guys (and gals).

The Charlotte airport is USAirways biggest hub. So as a result, if you end up under a flight path, you will have planes passing over head every two minutes all day long when they decide to fly that particular flight path. It's not as much a west side thing but rather a flight path thing as a plane can travel a good ways before it is high enough not to be that annoying. I've see this effect over the University area and South Charlotte over Ballentyne.

Thanks guys (and gals).

High school choices are fairly easy: Myers Park, Providence and Ardrey Kell (next year). North Meck, East Meck, South Meck, Butler are second tier and your kid needs to be in the best classes to get a solid education. East Meck is probably the best 2nd tier option because it has IB.

Charlotte.com has a bunch of resources to help you out.