1. 1. Which side of Charlotte is your favorite

• East Side
    • South Side
    • West Side
    • North Side

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I considered Windsor Park before moving to Starmount. They have a lot in common. Both are "not quite cool enough to be trendy" -- (therefore affordable) -- and both are close to some gentrifying areas and some sketchy ones too. They were both stable, entry-level late 50s early 60s middle class neighborhoods when new.

But I still think Starmount has a better chance of rising back. Windsor Park is surrounded by the apartments at Saigon corners, Eastland Mall, and all the crummy rentals along Plaza. And light rail won't be going through there to help stabilize things.

Main thing Windsor has going for it: It's close to uptown, inexpensive, has very frequest bus service via #9 and #41, and is close to the "funkiness" of Central Ave, for people who like some "grit" in their city... ;)

It won't be getting light rail, but it's supposed to be getting streetcar service, is it not? When I visited Portland, OR there was not a huge difference between the two. At the least the way they had implemented them there.

I like Eastside because it has the most personality- NoDa, PlazaMidwood, then further up Central there are all the international restaurants. I lived in Southpark previously and did not find any real personality on that side of town at all. Well I guess if you like soccer moms in SUVs :/ But that is not me at all! I think Charlotte really needs to start embracing its international community and supporting their restaurants and groceries more, then that part of town could do better and it would bring some sort of flavor to this city.

I have never stepped foot in Charlotte or the surrounding areas but I am looking to relocate to Charlotte within the next 8 weeks and am confused about the different information I am seeing about the crime in the city of Charlotte. Before scanning your forum, I was convinced by other sources including the Charlotte police website that crime was rampant all over the city. Now, based upon the opinions of this site, the South looks good. My questions are, why the negative reputation and, does the Southern part of Charlotte experience crime due to the close proximity of crime in neighboring areas?

If the crime within the city really is an issue what suburbs are the best? I am impressed about the "write-up" on Huntersville but cautious about good marketing. I have mixed info on Fort Mill.

Please help!

Thanks

I have never stepped foot in Charlotte or the surrounding areas but I am looking to relocate to Charlotte within the next 8 weeks and am confused about the different information I am seeing about the crime in the city of Charlotte. Before scanning your forum, I was convinced by other sources including the Charlotte police website that crime was rampant all over the city. Now, based upon the opinions of this site, the South looks good. My questions are, why the negative reputation and, does the Southern part of Charlotte experience crime due to the close proximity of crime in neighboring areas?

If the crime within the city really is an issue what suburbs are the best? I am impressed about the "write-up" on Huntersville but cautious about good marketing. I have mixed info on Fort Mill.

Please help!

Thanks

^^In my opinion South Charlotte (SouthPark) and North Mecklenburg (Huntersville) are safe, you're not really going to have a problem. I think it has to do with the high-income families there. Unless you're a teenager, then there are A LOT of drugs in the richer areas (Myers Park, Ballyntyne). But there aren't many violent crimes. (they have good schools and great places to shop -- I don't like it though :P ) In East Charlotte, West Charlotte, Most of North Charlotte, it's not safe, but nothing someone can't handle. If you get scared easily, definately don't move to the East or West! (A lot of violent crimes & drugs).

As for Fort Mill. It's really nice! I was there the other day. It's not the nice like South Park, it is its own nice. South Park is clean and fancy. But Fort Mill is friendly and undeveloped. If you like the upbeat kind of life, go with South Park.... (if you can afford it!) :rofl:

^^In my opinion South Charlotte (SouthPark) and North Mecklenburg (Huntersville) are safe, you're not really going to have a problem. I think it has to do with the high-income families there. Unless you're a teenager, then there are A LOT of drugs in the richer areas (Myers Park, Ballyntyne). But there aren't many violent crimes. (they have good schools and great places to shop -- I don't like it though :P ) In East Charlotte, West Charlotte, Most of North Charlotte, it's not safe, but nothing someone can't handle. If you get scared easily, definately don't move to the East or West! (A lot of violent crimes & drugs).

As for Fort Mill. It's really nice! I was there the other day. It's not the nice like South Park, it is its own nice. South Park is clean and fancy. But Fort Mill is friendly and undeveloped. If you like the upbeat kind of life, go with South Park.... (if you can afford it!) :rofl:

Not all upper class teenagers do drugs, case in point... I don't do any of that. I knew kids that did use illegal drugs but its not the majority like the way people put it on these pro urban message boards. I would personally recommend the South Side as there is not nearly as much violent crime, beautiful neighborhoods and its quite tidy. As mentioned, the far northern reaches of Meck are very nice as well; Cournelius and Huntersville.

The accepted stat is that 70% of all drug use in this country occurs in predominately white suburban communitiees. Most of the drugs coming into this country are being used in suburban america. So you have all these "beautiful" communities with all these drug using people. But a person probably will not get their purse snatched. Its a different type of crime, but its crime nonetheless.

The accepted stat is that 70% of all drug use in this country occurs in predominately white suburban communitiees.

Your numbers are from 1996 but it really has not changed much since then.

http://www.policyalmanac.org/crime/archive/drug_abuse.shtml

Interesting stats...

Rates of current illicit drug use among the major racial/ethnic groups in 2001 were 7.2 percent for whites, 6.4 percent for Hispanics, and 7.4 percent for blacks. The rate was highest among American Indians/Alaska Natives (9.9 percent) and persons reporting more than one race (12.6 percent). Asians had the lowest rate.des (9.6%)

Among persons aged 12 or older, the rate of current illicit drug use in 2001 was 8.3 percent in the West, 7.5 percent in the Northeast, 6.8 percent in the Midwest, and 6.2 percent in the South

So you have all these "beautiful" communities with all these drug using people. But a person probably will not get their purse snatched. Its a different type of crime' date=' but its crime nonetheless.[/quote']

I'm just saying a majority of people don't use illicit drugs; you make it sound like 99% do.

My point was that in regards to suburban american crime, the drug use is typically higher in these areas. Recent information shows that illicit drug use with the lowest with Asian kids with black students being almost as low except for marijuana use. Native Americans come first in terms of drug use with white kids a near second.

I wasn't trying to make it seem like most suburban kids are using illict drugs but I'd bet my life there is more illicit drug use happening with the children from the "nice" areas of South Charlotte than in the "bad" areas East. Therefore in terms of avoiding crime, if I'm looking to keep away from criminal drug users or having my kids attend school with them, I would avoid those areas. If I'm looking to avoid an armed robbery then I would not.

Archived