• NFL Franchise
    • MLB Franchise
    • NHL Franchise
    • NBA Franchise
    • MLS Franchise
    • WNBA Franchise
    • Arena Football Franchise
    • Other (Please Post)

For the simple fact that Providence has never had a major league team. The minor leagues are a tough sell in Hartford after having the NHL. I'm a former Whaler season ticket holder and have been to one WolfPack game in my life. No one here cares about the WolfPack except little kids - its minor league.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, wrong. The Patriots are a Providence team (clearly sharing the draw of the Boston metro)...17 miles from city center

I didn't expect all this defensiveness when people just bring a larger than local view

As to the NHL...it will never be back-it was there only waiting for a chance to go south to a big or large city

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, wrong. The Patriots are a Providence team (clearly sharing the draw of the Boston metro)...17 miles from city center 

I didn't expect all this defensiveness when people just bring a larger than local view

As to the NHL...it will never be back-it was there only waiting for a chance to go south to a big or large city

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your jealousy is showing....

I don't buy that.  I lived in the Hartford area for more than 20 years and have lived in the NY area for more than 2 years and I can tell you  Hartford is very much on its own, there is very little influence, if any, from NYC.  Hartford is 115 miles from NYC.  Despite what the offical stats say, Waterbury is not a suburb of NYC.  Suburban NYC extends, at the farthest, to New Haven.

Compared to other cities of similar size, ie Louisville, Providence, Buffalo, Richmond, etc, Hartford has proven to be one of the top choices.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Similar size???

Louisville is a city/county of 550K - in the County Class

Providence a city of 178K - in the Big City Class 175-249K

Buffalo a city of 280K - in the Big City Class 175-249K

Richmond a city of 187K - in the Big City Class 175-249K

Hartford at 124K is in the Medium City Class 100-174K with New Haven, Springfield, Bridgeport, Manchester, and moving south-Tallahasee

You will note there are no cities in this class with a privately owned major league team. It is OK...it is just the national reality.

Your jealousy is showing....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What?

First, I come from Tampa...as I have tried so long to express; I just wanted to share a national perspective with you all.

Second, I lived in Hartford and New Haven and favor (I think) NE over any region

Third, why would I compare Providence with Hartford? I am just surprized that a 124K city is trying so hard to be in another class - you are fine as you are (and getting better I see).

I was in the PVD forum due to it's attention in the cities I fly to and Hartford caught my eye so I just shared my many years in this city stuff.

What?

First, I come from Tampa...as I have tried so long to express; I just wanted to share a national perspective with you all.

Second, I lived in Hartford and New Haven and favor (I think) NE over any region

Third, why would I compare Providence with Hartford? I am just surprized that a 124K city is trying so hard to be in another class - you are fine as you are (and getting better I see).

I was in the PVD forum due to it's attention in the cities I fly to and Hartford caught my eye so I just shared my many years in this city stuff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting. I travel extensively too. And to be truthful, I have yet to hear one peep about Providence. Wait, I will correct that. I was out in Portland, Ore visiting a friend, and we went to see "Me, Myself, and Irene". I believe it was set in Providence, and my friend said "where's that?". There, you see, Providence does indeed have national prominence. You are correct.

But we understand. We too have an obsession with the city that is Hartford. We know why you come here. You can't get Hartford out of your head. Again, we understand. Now, if we are done name-dropping Providence in all of our posts, can we get back to Hartford sports?

Similar size???

Louisville is a city/county of 550K - in the County Class

Providence a city of 178K - in the Big City Class 175-249K

Buffalo a city of 280K - in the Big City Class 175-249K

Richmond a city of 187K - in the Big City Class 175-249K

Hartford at 124K is in the Medium City Class 100-174K with New Haven, Springfield, Bridgeport, Manchester, and moving south-Tallahasee

You will note there are no cities in this class with a privately owned major league team. It is OK...it is just the national reality.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And, as everyone knows, it's ridiculous to compare actual poulations of cities. It just isn't done. It's Metro areas, or Media Markets. Try again, brother...

And, as everyone knows, it's ridiculous to compare actual poulations of cities.  It just isn't done.  It's Metro areas, or Media Markets.  Try again, brother...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True...but even then Hartford is the little cousin...my work is done here. Have fun.

Interesting.  I travel extensively too.  And to be truthful, I have yet to hear one peep about Providence.  Wait, I will correct that.  I was out in Portland, Ore visiting a friend, and we went to see "Me, Myself, and Irene".  I believe it was set in Providence, and my friend said "where's that?".  There, you see, Providence does indeed have national prominence.  You are correct.

But we understand.  We too have an obsession with the city that is Hartford.  We know why you come here.  You can't get Hartford out of your head.  Again, we understand.  Now, if we are done name-dropping Providence in all of our posts, can we get back to Hartford sports?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, let me help you here...these are not discussions with some inexperienced soul but with people in urban planning, culture, pro sports, and government.

You would have to be reading in the professional sources.

Just a few print media points:

AAA Going Places

CNN Moneyline

Men's Health

Tampa Tribune

Time

Travel and Lesure

US News and World Report

Vacation

A few TV and screen examples:

NBC's Providence

Dumb and Dumber

Something About Mary

Outside Providence

Showtime's The Brotherhood

Please know that Hartford is not on the radar screen - that's all. Stop trying to be in another class of city- stick with New Haven, Bridgeport, Syracuse, Tallahasee. It will be a much healther forum...as we say in pro sports "stay within yourself".

You are funny! Getting it out of my head is easy...I am just amazed at the surreal mentality - I feel like I walked into a frat house with everyone cheering the local team and broke the news that they are not in the pros.

I will stick with the big city forums...I was only trying to share a professional national view. Have fun.

True...but even then Hartford is the little cousin...my work is done here. Have fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nielsen Media Research Local Universe Estimates:

RANK Designated Market Area (DMA) TV Homes % of US

28 Hartford & New Haven 1,013,350 0.919

51 Providence-New Bedford 639,590 0.580

108 Springfield-Holyoke 264,840 0.240

Springfield was 100% in the Whalers camp, add it or don't, it's still no contest.

Read

Metropolitan New Economy Index:

Hartford 22nd

Providence not even on the map

This clearly illustrates that Hartford is an engine of it's own, not a little sister (who could that be?).

Read

Gross Metropolitan Product (economic output in billions):

Hartford 59.354 (1999, couldn't find a link for 2004, but it's 69.1)

Providence 28.852

Not even close...

Read

Hartford's number 2

So, you're right, one is a little sister, one isn't, I think I just illustrated which is which. So, now with that out of the way, let's get back to returning the Whalers to Hartford....

My goodness, I had no idea Providence was so bitter towards Hartford.

Isn't this a thread about a pro sports franchise in Hartford? Why are we talking about Providence?

Btw, Vlad, don't even bother with the facts, apparently the Providence contingent are in the bizzarro world where opinions matter more than facts. :wacko:

Archived