15 - Phoenix Building

14 - Travelers Building

12 - 55 On The Park

08 - Aetna Headquarters Building

06 - Connecticut State Capitol Building

Current Proposed Buildings over 200ft

245ft - Park Street Tower I (17 floors)

Cancelled Projects

878ft - Cutter Financial Center (61 floors)

750ft - Metro Center II (50 floors)

700ft - Society Center (45 floors)

650ft - 180 Allyn Street (42 floors)

545ft - World Trade Center (33 floors)

430ft - Front Street Tower I (31 floors)

430ft - Front Street Tower II (31 floors)

322ft - Renaissance Place (22 floors)

250ft - Temple Street Tower (20 floors)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off great list although I do have a few questions:

Are the proposed Park Place Towers the towers that were recently submitted to the city for the redevelopment of Main Street in the North End where one proposal called for apartments (in these towers) and the other one called for retail or is this a totally differant project?

Why is the Crowne Plaza in blue, isnt it completed or are they adding on because I just though the owner (a Canadian company) was planning a major renovation?

What were the propsed Front Street towere at 31 floors?

Second I have many pictures of Hartford buildings that I have taken on a digital camera. How would I go about uploading them to this site from my computer?

Thanks

Second I have many pictures of Hartford buildings that I have taken on a digital camera. How would I go about uploading them to this site from my computer?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to first load them up onto an online image hoster. I use Photobucket (www.photobucket.com), it's free and you can load up a lot. Basically just go to the site, create an account, then load the pictures up (its really easy), then copy and paste the IMG tag into a post here and the image will appear after you "add reply"

Thanks, I couldn't have done this list, I just don't know enough about the city.

Now we need someone to get out and takes some photos of the signature buildings.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem. Thanks for moving the thread. :thumbsup:

First off great list although I do have a few questions:

Are the proposed Park Place Towers the towers that were recently submitted to the city for the redevelopment of Main Street in the North End where one proposal called for apartments (in these towers) and the other one called for retail or is this a totally differant project?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Park Place Towers are those twin buildings just west of downtown with the green pyramid like roofs that light up at night. They are each 25 floors, but we do not have an official height on them so I estimated their heights at 280ft. (I have pictures of them, but don't have access to the pictures right now. I will post them asap) Remember, blue = buildings with estimated heights, not proposals. The Park Street Tower (listed under the proposed list) is what you are reffering to, I believe. That is the taller of the two towers proposed for the Park Street Gateway Project. I hope that clears things up a bit.

Why is the Crowne Plaza in blue, isnt it completed or are they adding on because I just though the owner (a Canadian company) was planning a major renovation?

What were the propsed Front Street towere at 31 floors?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, blue= buildings with estimated heights, not proposals. I know its a little confusing, I'll probably update the colors and such to make it easier to understand.

The two towers at Front Street were proposed in 2002 under the original plan for Front Street, called "Meeting House Square". They were twin towers, sheathed in blue glass. They looked incredible. I have the renderings on my other computer, which I don't have access to at this moment. I will post the renderings later this week.

Does anyone have images of how the Hartford skyline would have looked with all the proposed towers that never got built? Imagine if they had been built how great the skyline would have been. It would have been one of the bigger skylines in the country considering not many cities have multiple 600+ foot buildings.

Does anyone have images of how the Hartford skyline would have looked with all the proposed towers that never got built? Imagine if they had been built how great the skyline would have been. It would have been one of the bigger skylines in the country considering not many cities have multiple 600+ foot buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would also like to see what Hartford would have looked like with the proposed buildings. I think Hartford has the most impressive skyline of any New England city other than Boston. The Hartford 21 tower will be a great addition to Hartford's skyline. A week ago, I saw the under-construction tower from my Peter Pan bus. It's coming along great.

does anybody know where I can find a picture or renderings of the Front Street Towers?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MeetingHouseSquareOriginalConcept.jpg

I don't think this ever progressed past the concept stage. This rendering is when the project was still called "Meeting House Square."

Also - there was a poster back in the 1980's entitled "Hartford 1990." It was a detailed black and white drawing of downtown with the following proposed projects included in its skyline:

Cutter Financial Center

180 Allyn

Society for Savings

World Trade Center

Metro Center II

1000 Main St.

Lafayette Plaza

Linden Towers

In the rendering, CityPlace looks small and insignificant.

I don't think this ever progressed past the concept stage. This rendering is when the project was still called "Meeting House Square."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, I forgot about that. Look at the Marriott for God's sakes! :lol:

I think the SBC building is as tall if not taller than 55 On-the-Park....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're probably right, its just such an ugly building I try and keep it out of my mind. :D St. Joseph's Cathedral is also over 200ft tall so I guess I should add that as well.

Cotuit,

Is there a reason I can't edit my first post? (or any of my posts on the first page for that matter) I'd like to correct some mistakes as well as add some small pictures to identify each building.

Archived