Hartford Skyscrapers Reviewed

SOCOM

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do I attach a file or a picture? The 'insert image' only lets you input a URL.

This post explains posting photos. You need to have a photo hosted online to post it in a thread (the linked post lists several free hosting options). Members with 100+ posts are given UP server space to attach images directly to their posts from thier desktops without hosting them online.

This post explains posting photos. You need to have a photo hosted online to post it in a thread (the linked post lists several free hosting options). Members with 100+ posts are given UP server space to attach images directly to their posts from thier desktops without hosting them online.

Thanks, but they block all those photo sites at work! Does anyone have an e-mail I can send the file to, to post?

Thanks, but they block all those photo sites at work! Does anyone have an e-mail I can send the file to, to post?

If you can get to UP at work then you should have no problem hosting images with us if you are in Members+ (members who have 100 posts or more).

If that doesn't work, lemme know. I'll give you my email in a PM. I can host it and post it. I mean, since I'm the one who wants to see it & stuff ...

Sorry, the file somehow got corrupted and I can't retrieve it. Anyway, it showed the building as it looks today, with a twin tower directly behind the existing one. There was also a plan with a big boxy tower and 4 spires sticking out of it. Pretty cool. They were in the Travelers 100th anniversary book - it may be in the Hartford library.

• 1 month later...

Nah, if all of Hartford's proposals had been built, Hartford would have left Boston in the dust decades ago. I find Boston's skyscrapers to be generally unimpressive. And mostly uninspiring, with a couple of major exceptions.

Yeah I never found Boston's skyscrapers to be all that impressive.

Most of them were built in the '60's and '70's. And it shows. <_<

But that was a time when Boston's economy was stronger. I don't know Hartford's economic history, but it looks to me like you guys took a big upturn, probably starting in the late '70's, but peaking in the '80's. And your skyline benefits as a result. Providence has something of the same thing going on in its skyline.

The story of New England in the 20th century, as told by its skylines.

Or in other words, Boston picked an ugly time to get big. :P

Edit: and, for that matter, Boston picked a big time to get ugly, too!

But that was a time when Boston's economy was stronger. I don't know Hartford's economic history, but it looks to me like you guys took a big upturn, probably starting in the late '70's, but peaking in the '80's. And your skyline benefits as a result. Providence has something of the same thing going on in its skyline.

The reccesion at the end of the 80's kind of hit Hartford and CT in general hard, so none of the building proposals materialized unforutunately. Had the econemy continued strong for us during the 90's Hartford would of looked a lot different from today, but the current skyline still impresses me very much and the addition of Hartford21 just makes it even better.

Hartford was a powerhouse for a long time. Even before Boston had skyscrapers the Travelers Tower was the tallest structure in New England. Hartford probably took the most wrong turns than any city in American history. If we could have attained stable growth patterns we would be a much larger and better city.

Hartford was a powerhouse for a long time. Even before Boston had skyscrapers the Travelers Tower was the tallest structure in New England. Hartford probably took the most wrong turns than any city in American history. If we could have attained stable growth patterns we would be a much larger and better city.

A lot of politicians in Hartford made to many mistakes and the result was Hartford's economic decline, but this is changing for the better. I could of went on I91 today, but I decided to cruise the city on my way home and take a look at the sites. Of course I headed down to downtown in the heart of the city and then hopped back on the highway from there. Things are looking really great downtown.

• 2 months later...

Yeah same here too. Bring on the proposals.

I should have said in my post there are proposed buildings to add, however there isn't much behind them right now. There are a good amount of proposals missing from the list, and I feel this list should always be at the top like the Providence building height thread.

• 1 month later...

From the looks of things, Hartford IS quite the rising star. I've long told people that Hartford is my favorite state capital outside my own because of that beautiful state house you all have.

TaureanJ:

Tallahassee is nice. The capitol is unique.

Have a funny story about Tallahassee... One time (back in 1988, I think) I was going from Tampa to Hartford and Eastern AirLines had a stop at Tallahassee, and I think I insulted the people at Tallahassee Regional Airport, when I asked where the main TERMINAL was. I was IN it. (Think of Bradley in 1970!). I was embarrassed. I haven't been back to the airport since. I heard they expanded it, now.

Jim

Archived