Hartford Skyscrapers Reviewed

SOCOM

Cotuit,

Is there a reason I can't edit my first post? (or any of my posts on the first page for that matter)  I'd like to correct some mistakes as well as add some small pictures to identify each building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Members are only allowed to edit their posts for a limited time period. If you want to PM me the post the way you want it changed, I can edit it in to your original post.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Members are only allowed to edit their posts for a limited time period. If you want to PM me the post the way you want it changed, I can edit it in to your original post.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, thanks. Just a few corrections to the building heights. I'll PM you the info.

• 2 months later...

Great pics.

Here's a site with several Hartford skyscrapers that were never built:

Unbuilt Skyscrapers

And I think it's for the best. Some of that architecture looks a bit too 1980s, and I think most people prefer today's more sleek glass and steel structures (I know I do). The Cutter Financial Center may be an exception...that's a great building.

Great pics.

Here's a site with several Hartford skyscrapers that were never built:

Unbuilt Skyscrapers

And I think it's for the best. Some of that architecture looks a bit too 1980s, and I think most people prefer today's more sleek glass and steel structures (I know I do). The Cutter Financial Center may be an exception...that's a great building.

I don't know if I can agree with you there my friend, they were proposed in the 80's so they look 80's but we would be a totally different city if those would have been built.

I believe Hartford would be in a far worse situation had those buildings been built. Millions of additional square feet of office space would have turned Hartford into even more of a suitcase city, and we can't even fill the current office supply.

Though I don't blame the architects for the 80s style, I'm glad that we have the opportunity today to move ahead with more attractive, "greener," residential and mixed-use construction.

Those surface parking lots we all hate are blank canvases for major residential development, the only type that will make Hartford 24hr city.

In the 80's Hartford had the lowest vacancy rate of any city in America at 13 or 14% That's when many of these buildings were planned. People forget that these boom and busts cycles are apart of Hartford history.

Cutter was interesting because it included condos. I still think if they had built an apartment building as part of Constitution Plaza, our view of theat development would be completely different.

Cutter was the most interesting of those projects, not only for its residential component but for its classic design (not gaudy like the others). I'd love to see a similar structure rise on that lot, if only the demand for office space existed.

I'd love to see a similar structure rise on that lot, if only the demand for office space existed.

Problem is, Trumbull Center is built on the old cutter site. However, we have quite a few empty lots still available for the next cutter. :)

Problem is, Trumbull Center is built on the old cutter site. However, we have quite a few empty lots still available for the next cutter. :)

Trumbull Centre takes up the southern part of the site. I can imagine a scaled down version (450 feet, 33 stories) fitting on Pearl Street. That would be the site of 101 Pearl and 111 Pearl. However, aren't there plans to rehabilitate those buildings?

When I think about it, I would like to see a 25 - 28 story building (350 - 390 feet) with a Cutter type facade. It wouldn't redefine the skyline, but would be a good filler.

What about the surface lot next to the Metropolitan condos? That's an enormous, park-facing plot situated near transportation and restaurants. I had thought that was the Cutter site. In my mind, that's the most desireable piece of land in the city. Are there plans for it?

On another note, I had heard that a Brooklyn developer was going to rehab the Capitol West building for condos, but as I passed by on 84 last night it looks ready for demolition. Are the developers keeping more than the steel frame? I hope not...definitely the ugliest building in Hartford, IMO.

What about the surface lot next to the Metropolitan condos? That's an enormous, park-facing plot situated near transportation and restaurants. I had thought that was the Cutter site. In my mind, that's the most desireable piece of land in the city. Are there plans for it?

On another note, I had heard that a Brooklyn developer was going to rehab the Capitol West building for condos, but as I passed by on 84 last night it looks ready for demolition. Are the developers keeping more than the steel frame? I hope not...definitely the ugliest building in Hartford, IMO.

It is an ugly building but I think they're keeping it. Hopefully they can do something to make it a bit more hospitable, if they expect people to want to live there.

No specific plans released for that lot, but it fits into the mayor's "downtown west" plan, and it's sure to become a prime piece of real estate with all the condo developments in the immdediate area.

• 1 month later...

Not if it's strictly office; there simply isn't enough demand in the city. But as some of the smaller/outdated office spaces are converted to residential and the local economy pics up, more residential/mixed-use skyscrapers will certainly be in order.

• 4 weeks later...

The Cutter building, if built as designed, would easily have been the best skyscraper in New England, IMHO.

And yes, since you ask, I AM in fact prejudiced. I'm a Rhode Islander.

But that just goes to show how good of a proposal it really was, I guess.

I often go to Emporis to look at it. Beautiful, beautiful building. I hope Hartford revives the idea someday (when appropriate).

it wasn't built because the market crashed in the late 80's and there was no need for the extra office space. As far as who was going to be a tenant....there was an article in the Hartford courant a long time ago that listed all the buildings that were to have been built along with pictures, the developers name, tenants for each individual building, and the date the building was proposed. I think I remember seeing it at skyscraperpage.com, but that was a year ago atleast. I highly doubt it's still there considering the lack of presence Hartford has there now.

Speaking of the Travelers tower, take a look at this...

This stunning Victorian building was the original home to Aetna before they moved to their current location on Farmington Ave. Travelers purchased the building and demolished it in 1957 to build their plaza across the street from the Wadsworth Atheneum.

p52i.jpg

Archived