Fish Fry?

ilektronik

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh. There are only about a 1000 Fish Camps in the area. They are all packed on Friday nights but in reality that has nothing to do with religious dogma.

The South is not Catholic territory. When I was growing up, before the great Yankee Diaspora from the North started, it was extremely rare to run into anyone who was Catholic and when one did, they were regarded as strange people. "who would believe in that stuff?"

It wasn't until I went to work for a large NY based company that I learned about the Catholic religious ritual of not eating red meat on Fridays.

my story is similar to yours MB. I grew up in the DC area, where Catholics were also rare. My wife is from NY though and is Polish on top of that, so her family are "hardcore" Catholics. Being overwhelmingly non-religious myself, the concept of Fish Fry was odd at first, but now I love it lol It sort of became a tradition, instead of a religious thing, ya know??

• 2 weeks later...

Township Grille at the corner of Independence and HW51 (out near Matthews) on the Home Depot corner - used to only offer the fish-fry plates on Friday, but now it's an everyday thing. Fish/Fries/Hushpuppies/Coleslaw for ~$8 - and it's usually quite good too - crispy outside, not greasy inside.

Heh.  There are only about a 1000 Fish Camps in the area.  They are all packed on Friday nights but in reality that has nothing to do with religious dogma.   

The South is not Catholic territory.  When I was growing up, before the great Yankee Diaspora from the North started, it was extremely rare to run into anyone who was Catholic and when one did, they were regarded as strange people.  "who would believe in that stuff?" 

It wasn't until I went to work for a large NY based company that I learned about the Catholic religious ritual of not eating red meat on Fridays.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I didn't know much about Catholicism and some of my friends are, and they said they can't eat meat during lent.. yet they considered fish a meat, which i never understood.

• 5 months later...

OK, please help...

It was stated that there are 1000 fish camps in the area, but I have no idea how you find one. Can anyone recommend a few? Cap Steve's in Fort Mills was suggested and Township Grille (not a fish camp) was also mentioned earlier. But I'd like to have a few more suggestions. Also, are there any really in Charlotte? I've heard mention of Mooresville, Lincolnton etc...but I am not driving 60 miles round trip for a fish fry. Anything closer to South Charlotte?

Thanks!!

^ Part of the allure of fish camps is that they are in rural areas - but I don't know how many are still around Charlotte. Unfortunately I don't think it's there anymore - but there was a great fish camp in McAddenville. Also a popular fish camp was the Fish Hook north of Rock Hill in India Hook (though I recall it going down hill around '90).

But I had never heard of a 'fish fry' being a Catholic tradition - interesting. In Atlanta, in predominately Black areas - a fish fry is common on Friday. But oddly the term 'fish camp' is not known in Georgia, the closest traditional fish camps I've found was near SC near the Savannah River.

OK, please help...

It was stated that there are 1000 fish camps in the area, but I have no idea how you find one. Can anyone recommend a few? Cap Steve's in Fort Mills was suggested and Township Grille (not a fish camp) was also mentioned earlier. But I'd like to have a few more suggestions. Also, are there any really in Charlotte? I've heard mention of Mooresville, Lincolnton etc...but I am not driving 60 miles round trip for a fish fry. Anything closer to South Charlotte?

Thanks!!

Here are a few to get you started:

[*]Captains Galley - Huntersville

[*]Big Daddy's - Mooresville (this one is a bit more upscale)

[*]Twin Tops - Gastonia

[*]Captain Kenny

Archived