Warwick Renaissance

Cotuit

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warwick has some of the worst planned commercial areas in the state! I can hardly stand to get around there, the traffic is so bad. And I'm sure these new commercial development entail more of the usual three story, sprawling office parks, with parking in the front, etc. ... yuck.

Of course, the point about proximity to the airport is spot on. But those business people may soon realize that they would rather have their headquarters in a highrise in Providence that they can take the train to, rather than get stuck in traffic in Warwick!

Apponaug Village, which is now basically one big traffic jam, is being reconstructed so that more foot traffic can pass through.

I guess that's a good thing.

I dont really know why anyone would want to walk through Apponaugh though.., there is nothing there

How many friggen Lowe's does this STATE need, nevermind the City of Warwick???

The Jefferson Blvd area would be a nice area to have the states first TOD. I'd love to see the plans for these new office buildings talked about, to see if they're the typical Warwick "office Park" setting like all of Metro Centre Blvd. The Hilton Garden isn't too too bad.

Apponaug is a disaster for everyone. Plus the only retail there is in that little strip mall and consists mainly of a Dunkin Donuts, and Jersey Mike's, and a Liquor Warehouse. It is hardly a "village" of any kind. I guess the bypass is good in the sense that it will calm the traffic snarls in the area and take some traffic off the more pedestrianized roads. It still would need a lot of work to make it into a nice village though.

Warwick is one big planning disaster. Although it does have some denser neighborhoods (Lakewood, Norwood, Oakland Beach, Pontiac Mills), nothing is within walking distance minus a few convenience stores or strip malls.

And yes, we eat not only babies in Warwick, but fetuses and small children too. And puppies. No actually we just murder puppies.

Not to pile onto Warwick more than has been done, but I don't think I've ever visited anywhere there (save the airport) I'd ever want to return to... I view every Rt 2 visit there as a necessary evil. I guess Oakland Beach isn't bad, though. It's got some character and is close to the city.

And you've gotta love how the Warwick Mayor, after saying a million times in the article how important the airport is to spuring development, then comes out against the proposed runway extension! Typical shortsighted, kiss a** politician...

Time to run against him, Recchia!

- Garris

I'm pretty sure that warwick's population is at about 84,000 and Cranston just passed 80,000.. does anyone think these cities will ever become 100k?  and how about Providence surpassing 200,000?.. I think it has about 23,000 more to go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure all that will happen in the next 20-30 years. Warwick's growth potential is probably a bit better than Cranston's, as (one would hope) Warick has more potential in the way of transit oriented dense development. Cranston does have areas close to Providence and along Route 95 where we could (and should) see some dense residential development. I think and hope however that Providence will break 200k before Warwick or Cranston break 100k.

ProJo article about development news in Warwick.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that is nice...

Bottom line-Warwick is one of five (5) cities in the Providence Metro, it serves as a southern transportation center for Providence, its growth depends on Providence, and it is just a part of the the ring around the center!

Having lived there for several years, I can say it is an odd, character-less place.

Warwick's population has been stagnant over the past couple censuses. Cranston keeps growing, although most of this is massive sprawling mansion neighborhoods in formerly rural western Cranston.

Although Warwick does have potential for new dense development, I just don't know if it will happen (I'm being pessimistic). Even places where I've seen infill development in Warwick, its always just been single family homes one after another. What happens around the new train station on Jefferson Blvd is key to deciding what Warwick's future will be.

I drove down Jefferson Blvd yesterday, and I must say, the new Hilton Garden Inn (right across from where the station will be), is actually quite fitting for an urban street. It's built right up to the street with parking behind it. I'm hoping that the massive asphalt field next to it (on the corner of Kilvert St. and Jefferson) will be developed and won't just be used as another parking lot for the Hilton.

Having lived there for several years, I can say it is an odd, character-less place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Boy, I don't think Warwick will be putting that in their promotional materials anytime soon...

Regrettably, that seems to be my impression as well, and it also describes a fair percentage of the nation as a whole. There are very few communities with a true sense of personality and "place" out there...

- Garris

Boy, I don't think Warwick will be putting that in their promotional materials anytime soon... 

Regrettably, that seems to be my impression as well, and it also describes a fair percentage of the nation as a whole.  There are very few communities with a true sense of personality and "place" out there...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are right...I've lived in NE, the SE, the SW in 6 cities (now in Tampa) and my impression is that it requires a combination of geography, history, architecture, planning, and social factors to create that sense of character.

I am very partial to urban life but there are a few small towns that have just outstanding personality also. Providence is truely a place of great character.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You're right. I hadn't seen it from that side, but there are pics of it in today's ProJo. Pretty nice. :shok:

I'd been watching them build it, but I had only seen it from Rt. 2. Shoot, I thought that it was just gonna be another big box. :rofl:

I know y'all hate sprawl, but I might take a drive by there someday to check it out. And then hopefully I never have reason to look at that side of that building ever again ...

• 1 month later...

Archived