Portland Buildings

pvenne

of the following portland high-rises, which is your personal favorite in tyerms of appearence?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. of the following portland high-rises, which is your personal favorite in tyerms of appearence?

• Franklin Towers.
    • Back Bay Tower.
    • 477 Congress Street.
    • One City Center.
    • The Eastland Park Hotel.
    • Promenade East Condominiums.
    • Portland House.
    • Maine Bank and Trust Company.
    • Holiday Inn by the Bay.
    • Deering Pavilion.
    • One Portland Square.
    • 511 Congress Street.
    • One Monument Square.
    • One Canal Plaza.

All buildings over ten-stories are listed. For out-of-towners, please still vote and base your decision on visiting www.emporis.com and directing yourself to the page for portland, maine: then view the buildings by clicking their names under high and low rise buildings ("high rises" and "other buildings"). Personally I favor the back bay tower, one city center, and one canal plaza, but I end up with back bay tower from the north side as my favorite building in the portland skyline. Well, I hope at least a few others will vote here. I appreciate it.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah well i think the franklin towers are ugly too, but they are the tallest building in the state so I cant hate on them too much, they are the only structure that really stands out as a "tall building", and the only structure that really strikes of urbaness...so I love them, I know i gotta be the only one, but I do, especially from their narrow side...but definately not for the architecture.

I would laugh if someone voted for franklin towers. Why the heck is it franlin towerS anyways? It looks like one big slab of concrete to me!

They are breaking ground for Waterview on August 25th I heard. it will be 12 stories.

372389.jpg

I can't decide what my favorite is right now, I'll vote later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well two things: I can't see your pic :( and I think they call it the franklin "towers" in stead of the franlin "tower" because if you look at it from the broad side it really is two buildings (two residential corridors up and down) attached in the middle as one structure...I bet their is some sort of elevator shaft or stairway that separates the two halves...It would have been cool if they built straight up...then we'd be talking a 34 story building in portland...and people always say there is no demand....but... again, I know it is ugly, but people say the holiday inn by the bay is ugly too and I like both, just because they are tall, and if it werent for them, something else ugly would be there....franklin towers = only real tall building we have beside back bay (which is 18 stories from the back).

which is also interesting because this means the city and states tallest buildings are on cumberland avenue, which i usually think of as run down and not much happening there...this is where waterview is going too. I would imagine congress street would have the tallest, but it just has the most, not the tallest. I cant wait to see cumb ave in 25 years.

I would laugh if someone voted for franklin towers. Why the heck is it franlin towerS anyways? It looks like one big slab of concrete to me!

They are breaking ground for Waterview on August 25th I heard. it will be 12 stories.

372389.jpg

I can't decide what my favorite is right now, I'll vote later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heres why it is called the towerS

new photos today (hopefully if i can get out) so stay tuned tonight or later this afternoon.

Archived