Alligator in the new lake

SOFIA

I have been watching a very large alligator in the new lake (close to the new Southside mall). He/She just hangs out in the water, but relatively

close to land. Anybody know what phone number can I dial to ask for help? We all are scare of it. :(

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alligators don't eat that much at once. The ducks probably flew away.

But anyway, there are always alligators in my neighborhood (we have a creek and a pond). There's a 5 footer out there right now. In the summertime there are often over a dozen gators in the marsh behind my girlfriend's house. The only time we ever called a traper was when there was a 12-footer.

Unless your gator is really large like that, or clearly isn't scared of people ... I think you'll just have to learn to live with it.

I don't want to sound like a tree-hugging hippie or anything ... but we live in Florida. The gators were here first. Our subdivisions are paving over their natural habitat. How can people be surprised or offended when a gator shows up in their retention ponds?

It's just a gator after all. They tend to be scared of people.

Hi Captain Obvious, maybe you are right... I don't know. I am thinking to build a fence or something. My mother and everybody incluiding kids are afraid of them. I admire you.. you are brave.

Thanks for your reply.

Can you beleave HOme depot is charging me 11000 for a fence?

I saw the alligator today. He/she was getting some sunlight...

Alligators are more scared of humans.

If they are over 5 feet, then yes, worry about small dogs, babies by the water.

Ive been kayaing many times less than 1 foot away from them at times. The only ones to really worry about are the 10+ foot specimens, they tend to lose their fear of humans at that size.

Hi Captain Obvious, maybe you are right... I don't know. I am thinking to build a fence or something. My mother and everybody incluiding kids are afraid of them. I admire you.. you are brave.

Thanks for your reply.

Can you beleave HOme depot is charging me 11000 for a fence?

I saw the alligator today. He/she was getting some sunlight...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That does suck ... that's a lot of money for a fence.

But if you have little kids, some sort of fence is probably a good idea. Young kids shouldn't be left unsupervised next to an unobstructed pond like that ... gator or no gator!

Maybe it is just a lack of understanding.  In order to love the Alligator, you have to learn to understand the Alligator.    You won't have any other varmints bothering you while it is hanging around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

?????????????????????????????

Archived