Could/Should Mecklenburg move to South Carolina?

dubone

Could/Should Mecklenburg move to South Carolina?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Could/Should Mecklenburg move to South Carolina?

• Yes, they should, NC neglects this county
    • Yes, they should, but it isn't possible
    • No way

that is an overwhelmingly naive and uneducated statement. Now if you said that the lower half of NJ is a suburb of Philly and the upper half is a suburb of NYC, that would be more in line  :D  (excluding Camden, Princeton and Atlantic City)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought that one large region of NJ had strong ties to Philadelphia but I wasn't sure, so I refrained from stating that. At any rate, the principle still applies, and bringing a Charlotte/SC comparison into the picture is comparing watermelons and oranges.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm hello The Panthers were picked to win the NFC south and are favorites to to to the super bowl...........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not really talking about over the term of a season, but rather at this moment. USC and Steve Spurrier generated a great buzz in the region, even nationally, when he took over the football program down there. The Panthers will still hold their own (and I'm rooting for them to go to the Super Bowl this year), but there's more to football and sports period in the Carolinas than just the Panthers.

I think many parts of York County are more involved with Charlotte than Union County is. I think of York as more like Cabarrus Co. or Gaston Co. because the interstate access to Charlotte has done much more for these Counties than 74 has done for Union. That's why Rock Hill is roughly double the size of Monroe and about the same size as Concord and Gastonia. It takes roughly an hour to get into the center city from Monroe, it takes 20 minutes or so from Rock Hill.

It's also a short matter of time before we see Lancaster Co. become part of the metro. THere is a ton of development happening below Ballantyne and all of those new residents will be Charlotte commuters in additions to the many Lancaster County residents in the other part of the county that already commute to Union County for jobs.

Many of the people who move into York county today, are doing so because they made a choice... *not* to be in Mecklenburg. They want Mecklenburg salaries but the Ft Mill schools and lower taxes.

So, there's no incentive for them to ever welcome Charlotte into S.C.

However, a more real possibility is that a "northern York county" could form. As it grows in population and political clout, people there may feel like they don't get enough support from Rock Hill. Or perhaps Rock Hill wants to separate... after getting tired of the continual demands of the south Charlotte 'burbs.

I could imagine the same thing happening, between Mooresville and Statesville in Iredell county too.

Many of the people who move into York county today, are doing so because they made a choice... *not* to be in Mecklenburg. They want Mecklenburg salaries but the Ft Mill schools and lower taxes.

So, there's no incentive for them to ever welcome Charlotte into S.C.

However, a more real possibility is that a "northern York county" could form. As it grows in population and political clout, people there may feel like they don't get enough support from Rock Hill. Or perhaps Rock Hill wants to separate... after getting tired of the continual demands of the south Charlotte 'burbs.

I could imagine the same thing happening, between Mooresville and Statesville in Iredell county too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think "far - eastern / northeastern York county" is what you mean - "northern" would describe Clover. Also, it isn't a matter of Fort Mill engaging in a political rivalry with Rock Hill - but more so with York, which is the county seat. But on the other hand, it could be viewed that Rock Hill wins the majority of the resources, though many in Rock Hill feel western York County receives more funding than is really deserved. Still - York County could be split into more cultural influences than the majority of any other county: Gastonia now influences the Clover / Bethany area in the north, Charlotte directly influences the northeastern corner of Fort Mill / Tega Cay, Rock Hill has long been supreme in the majority of the eastern sphere with York being the sole major town in the majority of the west with only scattered towns spread out through a largely unpopulated & vast region.

Even further - northeastern York could be described of largely white middle / upper incom commuters with a college degree & above who far outnumber the locals. Eastern York would be a wide selection ranging from Native Americans, Blacks, & Whites. Also, many would be Charlotte commuters - though most would likely be native to the area (I assume). Otherwise, retirees of the textile mills & their families, again - many working in Charlotte though often working in Rock Hill - all with a varying economic background. Also add the college population, with highly educated professors & staff living in town. As for western York county, largely white (though I would imagine more Hispanics now) still mostly dependant on agriculture (again - I assume is still the case).

As for northern York, historically it too was a mostly agrarian community - but I'm not so sure anymore with Gastonia suburbia there. Also - I don't know what sort of people are living there - what type of jobs they work at, in Gastonia or Charlotte? Nonetheless - there are two seperate areas of York County that are significantly altered from rural to suburban.

Had to get a map out to visualize this... I didn't realize York county spreads so far west.

It probably would make more sense culturally if York splits into an east and west side. York and the crossroad towns remain in an older, agriculture based county. Rock Hill, Fort Mill, Tega and Clover become "New York". :P

There are some interesting historical notes regarding why the political boundaries are the way they are. If you can visualize the sharp point towards Pineville, you might be able to make out a square, with one side going from the Catawba River & the other side extending along Lancaster / Union's boundary. This is the old Catawba Nation border, which York & Lancaster split. The land on the side of Fort Mill used to be in Lancaster County (or it predated to Kershaw District), but York won that land - possibly due to Yorkeville's influence at that time. This is interesting to note b/c at one point Blacksburg & everything on it's side of the Broad River used to be in York until the late 1800's I believe. Which is why on my mom's mom's side their records date back to York County, even though they settled between Cherokee Falls & Smyrna.

Ok - I better stop, I could go on a long historical rant. But I didn't realize how much I love discussing the history of that region, compared to north Georgia it is FAR more interesting & full of incredible sub-cultural stories such as the feud between the non-Episcopal Scotts-Irish & the lowstate Epsicopal English. That feud became set off the Regulators Movement (a pre-Revolutionary War) & became prominant during the Revolutionary War as nearly a Civil War. Eventually Columbia was chosen as the state capital to appease these upstate residents so they wouldn't secede from SC. Again - this is why I consider Rock Hill an upstate town due to it's cultural & historical origins.

She's a character named Delenn on Babylon 5.

Her description: A wise woman who still manages to find humor and whimsy in life, Delenn changes over time from a shy, respectful priestess to a decisive military and political leader. Her character is complex: she's passionate, articulate and strong-willed, but retains insecurity and ambivalence about her place in prophecy. She is morally upright, always attempting to act for the better good - yet forced to keep deadly secrets and tell lies of omission. Delenn normally does not like violence, but prefers to be a consensus builder.

Delenn forges a friendship and alliance with Kosh, the Vorlon ambassador to Babylon 5, becoming the first leader of an "Army of Light". She also becomes en'Tilzha, the leader of the Rangers, a dedicated group working for the Army of Light. Most of the Rangers are human or Minbari, coming together as one force to fight the Shadows, an ancient and deadly race.

I'm pretty sure that last part is your answer.

• 2 months later...

What do New Yorkers go to New Jersey for, by comparison?

New Yorkers love NJ for many things :rofl:

Newark Airport, the beach, the shopping (6% sales tax versus 9.25/10%), the NJ turnpike to get themselves out of the north, IKEA at Exit 13A, The Meadowlands sports complex, finding out that buying a house thinking it is a bargain while native jerseyians are paying an arm and leg to afford the high cost of living, ski resorts in Vernon, gambling in Atlantic City, the Stone Pony in Asbury Park (think Bruce Springstein), filling up their tank (14 cent gas tax vs 30 cent--truckers do this a lot when leaving the state), getting lost all the time, Cape May for the Bed & Breakfast inns, Lambertville for a weekend excursion for antiques and substandard mountain scenery, invade all of the nightclubs in Sayreville and Old Bridge on friday & saturday nights (drinks are cheaper for one thing), Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, Freehold Racetrack and clog up all of the highways driving in the left lane everywhere they go

Archived