Delta Hotel Site Redevelopment

otownobserver

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the monorail in the pic, its not the developer's. It looks to be just a stop at the development across I-4 to the Belz area ("Prime") coming from somewhere else.

Speaking of Belz, I was told by employees of one of the stores there that Prime Outlets, who bought Belz or the Belz outlets from Belz, has "big plans" for that entire retail area. that's all I know.

Regarding the monorail in the pic, its not the developer's.  It looks to be just a stop at the development across I-4 to the Belz area ("Prime") coming from somewhere else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree, first it too conveniently hits the mezanine deck on each of the buildings. And secondly, is is also seen looking up in the street level view.

What we're looking at is most likely the developer setting aside a portion of its site as right-of-way for future light rail, as the city requested The Presidential do downtown. Previous light rail studies indicated that there would be a station in this general vicinity near Universal, so it looks like the Delta site redevelopment is trying to accomodate that.

I was wondering if it is some type of northern terminus of the monorail that was discussed years ago to run the length of I-Drive. For example -- if I remember correctly -- it was to aid in shuttling pedestrians from one end (say, around the convention center and Sea World) to the Belz area, with stops in between, thereby alleviating the current pedestrian traffic at street level.

Perhaps the rendering shows some imagined northbound route coming from the Kirkman/I-Drive intersection, stopping at Belz, then coming across I-4 to the new development, then looping back over the Turnpike to head back southbound down I-Drive -- or vice versa?

My understanding is that the monorail plan back in the day was only talk, so again, I'd suspect the rendering to show nothing more than a wish...but then again, I guess you never know.

Actually, there is the possibility of a future turnpike connection from southbound turnpike to westbound I-4, hence the "curve" of the building. Hopefully that's a monorail concept for the future, should they and I-Drive get their act together. Current I-4 plans call for a pedestrian bridge over I-4 to the Belz site from the southern tip of this project.

I don't know but i think this might be a new tallest in Orlando. The way those buildings dwarf the smaller buildings in the center is amazing. I know these are preliminary plans but the design is one of the most unique and original plans i have seen yet in the whole Orlando area. Can't wait to hear more detailed project plans and refined renderings. This might be my new favorite. Its still in the city of Orlando corporate limits and between the Sheraton twin towers, another couple of hotels on Major that are over 10 stories the Millenia area which is only a mile away....this may start to form another cluster outside of downtown but still in the City. Blue Rose is also not too far away and in the City.

Universal might even be able to have the law make the developer change their project's name. A possible entertainment/retail/restaurant district called Citymark near Universal sounds a little too much like CityWalk. I don't see Universal letting this project go through without a fight.

This project probably has a good chance since it is close to the Dr. Phillips area. Anything in that area is being bought in a hurry. Although, I don't want to get my hopes too high on all these massive I-Drive projects until I can see them break ground...This one looks extremely ambitious. I here the Acqua/ Mercado development is pretty far in the drawing boards and has full financial backing.....This one looks at least $2 Billion, just guessing that these buildings are in the 30-40 story range.....

Yeah, Aqua has LaSalle Natl. Bank backing them. In fact, the same developer is doing the Plaza as well- maybe also the same fin. backer.

Citymark needs to incorporate an overpass to I-Drive. In fact, there's a few places on I-4 where they need to make some overpasses that connect, say, I-Drive to Turkey Lake Road and the like. I think it would ease congestion on major exits.

the plaza is being done by cameron kuhn and the solaire is being done by wood partners of atlanta......this is being done by eb developers of south florida.....and their only current project in orlando to my knowledge is a condo conversion on dr. phillips blvd. of the terraces to the sanctuary at bay hill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Orlando Business Journal ran a piece about EB's other big project on Big Sand lake called Eden Springs Resort. I believe it is a 1400 unit luxury condominium resort hotel on Turkey Lake road that is low rise on 60 some acres fronting Big Sand Lake. The site is the old Yogi Bear camp ground. It has its own lake on site. Does anyone have any graphics on that?

I heard they might also be assembling a large tract downtown for a big mixed use project. It looks like EB has come to OTown in a big way!

Here's a better rendering I created to show the site in relation to some other Sand Lake Road/I-Drive projects proposed and under construction:

edensprings6bd.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the Eden springs site is further south. The old Yogi Bear campgrouind is just north of the Hospital and Sandlake Commons boulevard.

Archived