Delta Hotel Site Redevelopment

otownobserver

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CityMark

Project Description

The subject property was formerly occupied by the Delta Orlando Resort at 5715 Major Boulevard, west of the crossing of Interstate 4 and the Florida Turnpike. The applicant is proposing to redevelop the site in six phases, outlined below:

Phase 1

• 421 multifamily dwelling units

• 30,000 gross floor area (GFA) of commercial uses

Phase 2

• Park amenity

• Internal roadway

Conceptual Future Phases

• 1,579 Multi-Family Dwelling Units

• 80,000 Square Feet of Office

• 60,000 Square Feet of Commercial Uses

• 1,023 Hotel Rooms

The development plan proposes a 6-phase redevelopment of the property with a mixture of hotel, residential, office and commercial uses. The applicant states:

"Each major development phase will comprise towers atop structured parking that provides at least the minimum parking requirement for all the development in that phase. Each parking garage will feature a landscaped rooftop amenity deck with recreational facilities. The parking garages will be accessed from a curving main street that connects to two points on Major Boulevard, overlooked by the restaurants and retail stores that will line the interior of the curve. On the exterior of the curving main street, along with the entire main street facade, the parking garages will be lined with ground floor commercial uses with residential units above. The liner buildings will screen the parking garages and create a well-defined street edge and active pedestrian environment."

Building Height

The maximum building height in Phase 1 shall be 200 ft., plus any appurtenances or exceptions allowed under Section 58.023 of the LDC. The maximum building height in Phases 3 through 6 shall vary from building to building, with the tallest building not to exceed 549 ft. AMSL, unless further restricted by the FAA. The average building height within the 6 phase development shall be approximately 200 ft. Actual building height shall be determined in conjuction with Specific Parcel Master Plan approval. In reviewing the proposed building heights, City staff will consider the urban form created by adjacent buildings and the need to create a logical composition of buildings within the 6 phase development at buildout.

The Phase 1 buildings are shown as being 200 ft. above grade to the top of the finish roof slab in the plan dated 10.04.06 and attached at the end of this report, and 223 ft. above grade to the top of the parapet. The maximum building height in the underlying AC-3 district is 200 ft., and since the part of the buildings that extends past the 200 ft. limit is the parapet and not the functional space of the structure, the height of the Phase 1 buildings is approvable.

Phases 3 through 6 are anticipated to be 5 towers with residential, hotel and office uses. Because the plans for these towers may change, along with the applicant, architect and owner, the applicant is seeking only 'conceptual' approval for the future phases. Each future phase will be required to undergo specific parcel master plan review However, the applicant requests "acknowledgement that the proposed building heights" (of equal or under 549 ft. AMSL permitted by the FAA) for the future conceptual phases "are appropriate in this location." The applicant intends to vary the height of all of the towers such that the average height of all the buildings is approximately the 200 ft. permitted by right in the AC-3 zoning district, and to place smaller buildings at the pedestrian and street scale. The Current Planning staff is recommending that only one of the buildings in all of the phases be as tall as the 549 ft. AMSL permitted by the FAA (Current Planning Condition of Approval #13). The other buildings must be less than 549 ft. and must relate spatially and architecturally such that the urban form of the buildings includes a variety of heights and a natural progression of form where Phase 5 is the tallest. In the course of future specific parcel master plan approval and appearance reviews, Urban Design and Current Planning staff shall further evaluate the relationshp of the buildings to one another to ensure that the proposed heights are appropriate and representative of superior design.

Phase 1

citymark1je9.jpg

citymark2ns8.jpg

Phase 2

citymark3zm0.jpg

citymark4tb5.jpg

Phase 1 and 2

citymark5aa3.jpg

Phase 1, 2, and Conceptual Phases

citymark6gr7.jpg

citymark7kd2.jpg

Oh, I like this. I like this alot. wow.

Great work, bic.

Also, great job to Mr. Markey and the crew. THis project is so northern, its making the hair on my arm stand up. Look at the design of the towers, albeit conceptual.

For some reason, this reminds me of Chi-town's River City proposal from the '80's.

Can you imagine the perception of this place once these are built? Imagine an ariel view of the Universal complex or even I-Drive and Belz/Prime with this project nearby. Unbelievable.

Orlando used to be the attractions and then the hotels. Vegas' schtik was making the hotels the attractions. Enter Citymark. (not that other ORL resorts haven't done this already).

THis is almost like taking Brickell Key and plopping it off of I-4, but with better architecture.

I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it.

can't say it enough times. Phase 1 needs to succeed ala Cityplace and the Lexington. THe architecture represents all that is great with architecture; perhaps what Solaire should have been ala the original plans for PTP.

My new wallpaper. It replaces a screenshot of Debra Lafave, so you know its gotta be impressive to get me to do that.

I dont want to rain on anyones parade, but there is a huge difference between Phase 1 and Phase 2. Phase 1 is 2 200 foot buildings, clearly nothing out of the ordinary for that area. The other is a freaking metropolis amongst itself.

Kind of reminds me of City Place. You renovate a building and then add in 5 crazy ass buildings. It all looks great on paper.

No doubt about that. I can totally see the whole lot being cleared, Phase 1 being constructed, and then an empty site where there were once visions of grandeur. I think it's funny that Phase 2 is only a park and a road, and doesn't even include the buildings that would be inside of it-- those are listed as "future phases" just like the massive conceptual phases behind the park.

Also, I think the rules regarding the building height are a bit ridiculous. This is my take on what the city is basically saying to the applicant:

-The FAA says you can't build higher than 549 ft. AMSL, which translates to about 449 ft. above ground

-Only one of the buildings can reach that maximum height of 449 ft. and it needs to be the one that is the furthest to the left out of the 4 tallest conceptual designs so that there is a ramp effect when looking at those buildings together.

-Although we're greatly restricting the height of your buildings, we want each one to have unique rooftop designs (pitched, spire, etc.).

-Oh, and we're gonna need the average height of all of the buildings on the site to equal approximately 200 feet, mmmkay?

How can a developer be expected to come up with interesting roof elements when the height restriction is so low (especially in an area like this that isn't even remotely close to a flight path)? Spires, sloped roofs, and crowns are expensive and take up a lot of height, which is fine as long as the architect has room to squeeze in some more units (or floors) to offset that cost. I think you see the result in the latest renderings for CityMark. The first renderings saw a wild, free-flowing architect's dream of whimsical skyscrapers and an outrageously tall spire. But when it comes to design for reality, the developer is more concerned about getting the greatest number of units in each building which leads to placing occupyable space closer to that ceiling imposed by the FAA, and that, in turn, results in not much room for fancy ornamental roofs.

Ack, I'm probably just making a nonsensical rant...

I dont want to rain on anyones parade, but there is a huge difference between Phase 1 and Phase 2. Phase 1 is 2 200 foot buildings, clearly nothing out of the ordinary for that area. The other is a freaking metropolis amongst itself.

Kind of reminds me of City Place. You renovate a building and then add in 5 crazy ass buildings. It all looks great on paper.

true.

worst case scenario, the Phase 1 200 footers will be light years better for that lot than the old Delta Resort, if that's all that ever gets built. and they'll be very visible from I-4. they will really complement the Universal area.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived