Who can we really call the heart of the Southeast?

EastSideResider

Who can we really call the heart of the Southeast?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who can we really call the heart of the Southeast?

• Atlanta
    • Austin
    • Baltimore
    • Birmingham
    • Charlotte
    • Dallas
    • Houston
    • Jacksonville
    • Memphis
    • Nashville
    • New Orleans
    • Orlando
    • Raleigh
    • San Antonio
    • Tampa
    • Washington D.C.

Uhh...DC and Baltimore are on this list, but Miami is left out because it's not in the "true" southeast??? Some of the people in this "Southern USA" forum need to go back to school and take a Geography class. Then they'll see that Miami is a Southeastern US city. Oh, and if you're talking about "true south" as Dixieland, rebel yell, land of cotton, and all that jazz, then take a History class too and you'll also learn that era is "Gone with the Wind".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nonetheless, would you really argue that Miami in any way (culturally, geographically, politically, economically, etc) is the "heart of the Southeast"?

Tough to make a case for that.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading these threads, I think some one needs to define what the "Heart of the Southeast" really stands for.  What care the main characteristics being used to describe the Southeast?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently the following:

Trucks with big tires and a "3" in the window (or winder as the case may be)

Festivals named for a southern grown vegetable or fruit.

Civil war re-enactments at every one those festivals.

Four distinct seasons....Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer, and Christmas.

Shorts being worn in November

Cakes made from southern vegetables (just had some Zuchinni cake the other day and it was great).

High tech rednecks who can tear down a 327 engine or rebuild a hard-drive on the same day.

Lots of roads with MLK in their name.

Men with belt buckles the size of hubcaps

People crazily buying up bread and milk if even a 10% chance of 1/2" of snow 100 mile away.

Fire ant hills as big as a laundry basket.

A fifty story building next to a barbeque shack. (At least I wouldn't be shocked if I saw it)

B)

Nonetheless, would you really argue that Miami in any way (culturally, geographically, politically, economically, etc) is the "heart of the Southeast"?

Tough to make a case for that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't speaking about cultural, political, or economic differences regarding Miami. I was specifically citing GEOGRAPHY and one other poster's comments that Miami is not in the "true" southeast. Yes it is.

I won't try to make a case that Miami adheres to "heart of the southeast" mentality. They're too modern and progressive for that kind of backwards thinking as I pointed out in my earlier post.

I won't try to make a case that Miami adheres to "heart of the southeast" mentality. They're too modern and progressive for that kind of backwards thinking as I pointed out in my earlier post.

Yet another example of anti-Southern bias. Just because someone doesnt agree with you doesnt mean they are "backward".

When think of heart of southeast I think of old and new. Not being backwards and redneck. I think if you pose the same question "what is the heart of the northeast" then I am certain some people would attach negative connotations to replies. I think the purpose of this topic is to judge what in a southerners mind is the heart and what city most symbolizes it. I would agree that Miami is sort of the enigma of the south. Great city but not an entirely southern city. Besides I don't mind rednecks or #3 on the winders or Watermelon festivals Agri-Expos pig pickins and all things southerns(execept narrow minded prejudice people). That is where I am from and no matter where I live in this world I will always be tarheel born(not really) tarheel bred and when I die I will be tarheel dead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know a lot more about Miami than you think and almost moved there once, it's a different place. Modern and progressive in many ways, drastically backward in others. For instance, the poverty-stricken and ultra-rich really seem to dwarf the middle class in Miami-Dade. People are generally less pleasant and considerate than the rest of the South. Public transportation is a joke for such a large, condensed area. More than half the residents were foreign-born and this plays a big role in its cultural differences, in some ways for better and in some for worse. Regardless, it would be tough to make a case for it as the "heart of Florida". Orlando or Tampa Bay would probably take that title.

I still might end up in Palm Beach County or Broward someday,thoughm but not because it's more "modern or progressive" than Atlanta, Dallas, Orlando, Tampa Bay, etc,

When think of heart of southeast I think of old and new. Not being backwards and redneck. I think if you pose the same question "what is the heart of the northeast" then I am certain some people would attach negative connotations to replies. I think the purpose of this topic is to judge what in a southerners mind is the heart and what city most symbolizes it. I would agree that Miami is sort of the enigma of the south. Great city but not an entirely southern city.  Besides I don't mind rednecks or #3 on the winders or Watermelon festivals Agri-Expos pig pickins and all things southerns(execept narrow minded prejudice people). That is where I am from and no matter where I live in this world I will always be tarheel born(not really) tarheel bred and when I die I will be tarheel dead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't making fun of it talking about rednecks and all....I'm PART of it. I guess to sum up the heart of the south, I really have to think a medium sized city like Chattanooga sums it up. You have mountains, farmland, lakes, fishing, and yet city life all in one.

This isn't a geography lesson; we all know where Miami is. Were talking about representing southern hospitality. Miami is considered a party city, not a southern charm. I know some people refer to southern charm as "the dirty south". That includes Virginia, NC, SC, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, East Texas, and North Florida. These areas are culturally different than all other parts of the country... including Miami. "The Dirty South" represent more than half of the United States African-American population. I personally think that is what the south is known for most. It's culturally rich environment. In the dirty south, a lot of minorities become majorities. And that statement continues with the white majority decreasing and blacks, hispanics, etc. increasing. I wouldn't live anywhere else than the south because I don't think I could handle 1 dominate race. I prefer Atlanta, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Memphis or New Orleans becuase they are diverse. I guess it has become the biggest mistake of my life to add DC and Baltimore to the list. I'm sorry. I guess I just wasn't thinking. That's pretty much why it had no votes. If I added Miami on there, it would have no votes as well (besides yours).

IMO to pick the city that is the heart of the southeast from the list given, you have to pick the city which reflects southern values and the southern lifestyle the most. I think Birmingham most closely fits that bill. Atlanta is probably the most important city in the southeast, as it is the transportation hub. Miami is extremely important in an international sense, as it is the gateway to much of Latin America. However, those to cities have too many northern transplants and non-southern traditional values to be considered the city that's the heart of the southeast.

• 1 month later...

Uhh...DC and Baltimore are on this list, but Miami is left out because it's not in the "true" southeast??? Some of the people in this "Southern USA" forum need to go back to school and take a Geography class. Then they'll see that Miami is a Southeastern US city. Oh, and if you're talking about "true south" as Dixieland, rebel yell, land of cotton, and all that jazz, then take a History class too and you'll also learn that era is "Gone with the Wind".

I second you on that, it seems my city ( Louisville) is left out in alot of these polls. I guess it's from the lack of Louisville forumers :(

This isn't a geography lesson; we all know where Miami is. Were talking about representing southern hospitality. Miami is considered a party city, not a southern charm. I know some people refer to southern charm as "the dirty south". That includes Virginia, NC, SC, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, East Texas, and North Florida. These areas are culturally different than all other parts of the country... including Miami. "The Dirty South" represent more than half of the United States African-American population. I personally think that is what the south is known for most. It's culturally rich environment. In the dirty south, a lot of minorities become majorities. And that statement continues with the white majority decreasing and blacks, hispanics, etc. increasing. I wouldn't live anywhere else than the south because I don't think I could handle 1 dominate race. I prefer Atlanta, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Memphis or New Orleans becuase they are diverse. I guess it has become the biggest mistake of my life to add DC and Baltimore to the list. I'm sorry. I guess I just wasn't thinking. That's pretty much why it had no votes. If I added Miami on there, it would have no votes as well (besides yours).

Also Louisville has the 23rd largest black population in the country.

According to the new ElizabethTown movie (20 miles South of Louisville) it was based off of the Southern hospitality and lifestlye of Louisville (loovul) and Kentucky, for example everyone bringing a dish to a funeral making it more like a get together to celebrate the life of a person rather than it just being all quiet and everyone being sad. But alot of you think that it's just the Deep South that has that culture when it extends on up to Louisville with the strong charcterics.

Atlanta has really become the poster-child for the South. It best represents what we've become, and what we're striving toward (like it or not). It hosted the Olympics. To many in years past, the Olympics in the South would have seemed impossible. But that's what we do in the South--we're constantly smashing barriers and becoming things people elsewhere never thought we could become. And Atlanta's leading the way. So I think Atlanta best represents the South.

Atlanta has really become the poster-child for the South. It best represents what we've become, and what we're striving toward (like it or not). It hosted the Olympics. To many in years past, the Olympics in the South would have seemed impossible. But that's what we do in the South--we're constantly smashing barriers and becoming things people elsewhere never thought we could become. And Atlanta's leading the way. So I think Atlanta best represents the South.

I can go along with Atlanta as being the heart of the Southeast. However, I prefer to think of the South as bigger than the Southeast, so that it includes ares in East Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas. IMO, all of these areas are part of a region extending from Virginia to Texas with similar tastes and similar ideals. I think of the southeast as being merely a sub-region of the much more important "South". If looking for a capital of the South, I look for a tradional southern city smack dab in the center of this region. The capital of the South doesn't have to have to be it's biggest or it's most influential city (There are many state capitols which aren't the biggest in their respective states). I pick a city closest to the heart of this region, truly with southern character all the way - either Birmingham or Montgomery, AL.

Southeastern states include: North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, and Louisiana! Texas is southwest USA, D.C. and ???Baltimore??? are Northeastern. Atlanta is the heart of the Southeast by far. Due to one simple thing, it is the transportation hub of the south. All cities mentioned are vitial to the south, but ATL is the "New York of the South" and the "King of the South". It's economic, political, and cultural impact far exceed that of any other southeastern city. I must stress, "far exceed" not dominant. Every southeastern city is important, but if you were to ask which northeastern city holds the title???? New York City! The same can be said for Atlanta in the southeast! L.A. in the West and Dallas in the Southwest.

Southeastern states include: North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, and Louisiana! Texas is southwest USA, D.C. and ???Baltimore??? are Northeastern. Atlanta is the heart of the Southeast by far. Due to one simple thing, it is the transportation hub of the south. All cities mentioned are vitial to the south, but ATL is the "New York of the South" and the "King of the South". It's economic, political, and cultural impact far exceed that of any other southeastern city. I must stress, "far exceed" not dominant. Every southeastern city is important, but if you were to ask which northeastern city holds the title???? New York City! The same can be said for Atlanta in the southeast! L.A. in the West and Dallas in the Southwest.

You forget Kentucky and Virigina. It seems like some people on this site drawl the Mason Dixon line a few States down from where it really is. Now according to the U.S. census Bueru (the officials) The SouthEAST is made of KENTUCKY, VIRGINIA, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Floridia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Tenessee. The entire South is made to include Texas and Oklahoma.

Kentucky is just as Southern as Tennessee and the only people who say different are people who have been to Kentucky and other Southern states or indinial northern Kentuckians.

Im no geography wiz but if you include south florida and most of texas then Birmingham would be geograghically in the middle, sort of. Plus it has long roots that extend back to its heydays with southern charm that many people expect. Plus its in Alabama. If that doesn't scream the heart of dixie I don't know what does. Or mabye I just wanted to give the HAM some love.

:D Too funny.

Ok, of the cities listed, I live closest to Birmingham, have lived in various parts of AL all my life and yet I didn't vote for Birmingham. My brother relocated to B'ham and LOVES it but I say a silent prayer of thanks each time I drive in/through/around the city that I don't live there.

It may be the 'Heart of Dixie' but I still think Atlanta beats louder in the Southeast overall.

For the record, I couldn't live in either city simply because I prefer the infrastructure, traffic, school districts, and friendliness of the smaller (100K) cities.

Why would anyone vote for Raleigh... the capital of the south isn't going to be a yankee relocation project.

I agree. The Raleigh-Triangle area has so many northern transplants, it might as well be a piece of Connecticut in NC.

The Texas cities are too far west, Baltimore/DC is just too far north and is not considered part of today's south.

Atlanta or Birmingham would be the best candidates for the heart of the southeast.

Atlanta is definitely it no questions asked. Charleston has the history, Nashville has the country music, Richmond has the status as the old capital of the south, but Atlanta is where it is at today. I am shocked to see people voting Charlotte in, all it is a banking capital that is fast becoming a major city with a dowtown resurgence. Atlanta is geographically the heart, as well.

Archived