Major Developments

Florida

Wake up old fashioned developers, density belongs in a city's core! Its not rocket science.

That's not quite what we learn as planners. As far as transportation and land use, we're taught the "3 Ds" - diversity, design, and density. Density is something that's very much desired, as the higher density, the less people use cars. Look at NYC for example. Perhaps that's the object of all these dense student housing developments. Create a higher density, make driving so difficult and costly that alternatives will be used. Developers designing transit-oriented developments intentionally create dense, high-rise buildings as part of the plan, and most of these TODs are not in the city's core........they're in the distant suburbs.

There are problems with this argument, though. A certain density threshold must be in place before transit is sustainable. And if it meets the threshold, the facilities must be there in the first place for people to use them! Besides buses, which have mediocre services, we don't have many alternatives, so these people will continue to drive. It all sounds nice on paper, but in reality, it plays differently.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In cases like this you'll find I don't hold much knowledge on Urban Planning. I'm kinda peddling along. As a Real Estate major, I just haven't learned the basics of URP however I intend on making it my masters focus. Having said that, I'd say your comments are well taken.

We spoke of transit oriented developments not long ago in this forum. They are doing them quite well down in Miami, and should be looked upon as a model for the rest of the state. As you've stated there is a certain density threshold that we must pass before we even begin to think of TODs and even then where is the infrastructure?

I guess we could use some of our 1 way streets and create a trolley route or a dedicated bus lane... just ideas I'm throwing out.

I'm all for the density and the high rise buildings. I'd much rather share the side walk than the street.

One thing I could elaborate on is that density goes hand in hand with the other two Ds......diversity and design. Having dense student housing development is nice...but there needs to diversity, not just all residential dwellings. Mixed use developments are desirable......imagine going downstairs from your apartment to find a tanning salon or a grocery store. No need to get in the car and drive to Club Publix.

I guess what I'm striving for is a New-Urbanist student housing development. We have SouthWood, why not create something oriented to students near FSU. It's risky and hasn't been tried before, but it could be successful and innovative.

One thing I could elaborate on is that density goes hand in hand with the other two Ds......diversity and design. Having dense student housing development is nice...but there needs to diversity, not just all residential dwellings. Mixed use developments are desirable......imagine going downstairs from your apartment to find a tanning salon or a grocery store. No need to get in the car and drive to Club Publix.

I guess what I'm striving for is a New-Urbanist student housing development. We have SouthWood, why not create something oriented to students near FSU. It's risky and hasn't been tried before, but it could be successful and innovative.

That would be a VERY cool idea. The only problem would be finding the land... :( The ideal location would be the area between the stadium and Alumni Village in my opinion. There is already a good amount of Fast food and student housing (mostly actual houses though) in that location.

I think u are labbelling a current situation something else. In some degree or another, these carless student communities exist. My first thought was... LIving on campuses. Students who live on campuses, in theory, are living in a planned and provided comunity, (certainly we may not have done our freshmen justice here in tally). Also, places like heritage grove have a huge alternate transportation student population. Frequent bussess, a paved bike and pedistrian trail all the way to campus. Also, i know a could of places rent bikes. These things are great, lest build on them. Rather than taking out all those trees, lets mature our current developments. Logic! We will use it this time!

I think I ought to throw this in... why don't we take the blocks South of FSU campus that you'd pass if your driving West on the One-Way Pensacola Street toward Stadium Drive. What if all of those properties were re-developed either by the school or private developers to cater to students. I can see 4-5 story buildings with courtyards and green space replacing the eye-soar frat house with paper cups, house furniture and vending machines on the front porch. That would go well with the Gaines Street district and provide for a better connection between downtown and the FSU campus.

Same is being done along College avenue, only this development is geared toward faculty, staff, and alumni....

sound logical?

PERFECTLY... that area is wasted! LETS get more like the Southgate development. Something well lite and safe for the ladies to do thier jogging and stuff. Walking to the diner is nice, but more options are required. FSU should be pushing for such zones of development. IT would help to sell the school to freshmen whose parents stay at the RR/Gaines marriot, and see the fun of student life in DT on the banks of the Gaines river

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly... does anyone see where some of the property along Pensacola Street where this Frat house with the vending machine and the million rolling trash cans and couches on the porch and a foot long driveway with 10 cars in it would be in violation of our codes. I think Code enforcement should crack down on this street... I'm going to bring this to the attention of Code Enforcement and Commissioner Gillum (Champion of Code enforcement on the City Commission).

There is too much of this going on around campus. Couches belong indoors not in your yard.

• 2 weeks later...

Old Albertson's location on the parkway:

As you know, just last month Albertson's left this location. Now this highly visable property is up for sale. We need something here soon to help offset the great mass exodus that will occur across the street when Publix and I'm sure a few other tenants leave for the new shopping center at Blairstone & Park. Here's a small snippet from The Democrat on the old Albertson's location:

The Kroger grocery store chain may come. Or it may not. No one really knows right now. But it's said to have been checking out some old Winn-Dixie store properties, not the old Albertson's grocery store on Apalachee Parkway as some may have thought - at least that's what Lucas Hewitt, Advantis' senior director, is reporting.

Hewitt says Advantis, the property's lease agent, has been talking to several national retailers, "not just grocers." There's even been a conversation with a specialty grocer.

Hewitt says several deals are on the table.

The location, according to Advantis, is calling for a top-notch tenant.

What would you like to see go here?

I see where they say they've talked with "specialty grocer." I'm hoping that is

Whole Foods As much as I love New Leaf, I love Whole Foods even more, so that would be my first choice. My second choice would be a Kohls They are nothing fancy, but they have great clothing "staples" at a good price and a very clean and nicely organized store. They are pretty much nationwide and have just started moving into Florida in Jax and Orlando. I've read where they have been looking here in the past.

I'd really not care to see a Kroger mainly because I'm a solid Publix shopper now, in the past and probably always will be.

I would love to see a Whole Foods at that old Albertson location. The corners of Apalachee and Blairstone will indeed be very depressing once Publix leaves. I imagine that it is prime real estate so it should be occupied fairly quickly.

I don't think Whole Foods coming into Tallahassee is out of the question. Newsletters I received from New Leaf as far back as over a year ago hinted at Whole Foods looking into the Tallahassee Market. Heck Greenville, SC is getting a Whole Foods very soon. Tally is way more deserving! :P

• 2 weeks later...

construction has begun on chapel and pensicola on the three story res unit with the ground floor retail, and it looks like another urban development on the south side of pensicola (Collusium) will be discussed at the commissioners meeting. These projects are perfect located. Pensicola needs love too!

construction has begun on chapel and pensicola on the three story res unit with the ground floor retail, and it looks like another urban development on the south side of pensicola (Collusium) will be discussed at the commissioners meeting. These projects are perfect located. Pensicola needs love too!

That's for sure! The west side of town, namingly along the Pensacola Street corridor, is what we urban planners call an "inner-ring suburb" - an old, first tier suburb that's decaying due to demographic shifts, new suburban development, etc. I never go on that side of town for anything, and I don't like it when I rarely have to go. Ugly, cluttered......but as long as there is FSU, Pensacola will be - it's the "Universitytown" area that nobody will want to invest/move a business/home to. We have to put those pesky college students somewhere, and it might as well be there :lol:

tru..lol, that where i live. Perks include, but are not limited too: no parking on gamedays, bad drivers, cheap resteraunts, walk to liquor stores, and un-nerving amounts of pedestrian traffic at all hours. So it would be good for some mixed use in the sector. i know the condo scene has shifted some attention our way. BUt the ground floor retail in these developments will surely help realize the potential of pensicola street. Tuscany, Rienna, are relatively attractive appartment complexes.... she has potential.

I'm not sure if we've presented this yet in this thread, and quite frankly I'm too lazy to look, but Pensacola Street has a NEW Sector Plan.

Pensacola Street Sector Plan

TJ,

What's going next to the Ale House that is being built on Apalachee Parkway? Looks like they are constructing a building but I dont see a sign that mentions what it will be....

Well I don't eat red meat, but after the crazy newness buzz dies down, I'll have to give their salads and chicken dishes a try and I'll have to do the same for the Ale House. You know I've never eaten at the Longhorn or the Roadhouse, not much of a chain person here, but I do like to frequent downtown places. These places have a premo. spot for the Tally lunch crowd. Let's hope their service is good! And if it is good, I think they'll put ole Bennigans out of biz...hopefully! Last time I ate there (3 yrs ago) it was a dark dank hole and my shoes stuck to the floor all over the restaurant. Ugh. Does anyone even eat there anymore?

Oh yeah and they did take out some existing mature Sabal Palms from this location, both new restaurants did. Bad restaurants bad! It should be a felony to remove the State tree from locations in the State capital! :D

So you frequent the downtown restuarants... ever go to JDrewsey's at Highpoint? I want to know how they taste.

Roadhouse is Excellent! I dont eat red meat either, but their chicken, other dishes and Rolls are to die for..!

Longhorn is good too!!

try em

:D

Here's a newsflash for you that I have not seen any discussion on yet. Last week I heard from a reliable source (aren't they all?) that a developer will be closing on a property in the north end of downtown and will replace existing improvements with an 18-20 story condominum development. I know the guy selling the property and he does not have many details on the proposed tower, but the closing is scheduled for a few days from now. After it closes and I can get a few more details, I'll pass along the exact location - I am hesitant to reveal it now for fear of upsetting the deal. Consider it just an unsubstantiated rumor for now...

Archived