Major Developments

Florida

VERY NICE!!! Don't say a word about location yet!! Be it a mystery to make us all sit on the edge of our seats!! I'm very excited about this... oh how our dear Capital is coming together. Thank the heavens!!! I want to speculate on the property on the north end of downtown, but I can wait a few days.

This is awesome scoop... thanks Tallaman!! Best scoop in a good while.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this does become more than a rumor. I know of a particular location on the northern end of downtown that I'd like to see used for this type of project.

I've never been to JDrewsey's, but I do want to go. Maybe right after the holidays I'll have to check it out.

So Tallydowntown of Longhorn and Roadhouse which do you think is better in terms of:

Food?

Service?

Decor/Environment?

Replies from others that have been to both is cool too.

I asked this before but I'll ask it again, has anyone been to Bennigan's lately and is anyone still eating there? Did you feel it was a dark, dank hole and did your shoes stick to the floor?

Bennigans is about the stickiest restaurant I have been to on Apalachee Pkwy...it just seems to have this moist rundown feeling.

As far as Roadhouse versus Longhorns. Roadhouse seems to be more casual than Longhorns. I like the steaks better at Longhorns but Roadhouse has a very lively vibe and the buckets of peanuts you can shell and just throw on the floor seem to give the patrons a perverse thrill :P It's also the more "country" of the two, but Longhorn has more dead animals on the wall.

Service seems about equal on my visits.

I prefer Roadhouse to Longhorn. I've been to Longhorn once, and it wasn't that impressive. Of course, the one I went to is in Davie, not Tallahassee so that might have something to do with it. It wasn't that busy either, so something was wrong.

I've only been to the Tallahassee Roadhouse once, back in June. It seemed a bit different than the Roadhouse I used to frequent back home in Pembroke Pines. It was good though! Their rolls are to die for!

I forgot about the rolls at Roadhouse! They are indeed yummy. And on a aesthetic note, the Roadhouse looks better and has better landscaping out front. Good use of palm trees!

ALL HAIL ROADHOUSE!!!! I love it, mouthwatering. gosh, seriously tonight im gonna see if i can go there..

I think I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one and say I like Longhorn a bit more than I do Roadhouse. The peanut shells on the floor that Allan speaks of is the primary reason... it looks filthy. Flithy and food don't mix... I'm sorry. Sure there is a bit more buzz in Roadhouse, so to speak, but I prefer to dine where people are more relaxed, and quiet. I also enjoy Longhorn's food more which is another good reason. The rolls... not so crazy about. I do like the rolls at Durango's, but thats across town.

If you're going to Longhorn, be sure to try the Santa Fe Shrimp appetizer... now that's good!!

I think I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one and say I like Longhorn a bit more than I do Roadhouse. The peanut shells on the floor that Allan speaks of is the primary reason... it looks filthy. Flithy and food don't mix... I'm sorry. Sure there is a bit more buzz in Roadhouse, so to speak, but I prefer to dine where people are more relaxed, and quiet. I also enjoy Longhorn's food more which is another good reason. The rolls... not so crazy about. I do like the rolls at Durango's, but thats across town.

If you're going to Longhorn, be sure to try the Santa Fe Shrimp appetizer... now that's good!!

Dont listen to Taurean.. The Roadhouse grill is excellent.

^I'll settle this fair and square. I've never been to either one. Within the next month I'll try and make it to both and I'll let you know which one I like best. I can be a pretty tough critic of restaurants so watch out.

TJ I get the feeling you could eat shrimp 3 times a day everyday of your life?

I like the look of Roadhouse better but Longhorn definitely has better food. I think my eyes gravitate so much to the roll basket at Roadhouse that I am temporarily numb to the peanut shells on the floor.

Roadhouse Rolls with the honey butter they bring are godlike.

Tallaman... I'm on the edge of my seat waiting on the news of this project/closing. Do you think it will hit the papers?

I was surprised to have stumbled into this information when I heard it last week. The owner said that he did not think it was a big secret or anything. The closing is scheduled for Friday and after the closing I will let you know the location and try to gather more info from him and let you know that as well. I think you'll be pleased - I just hope the developer's plans work out for them (and us). I think it will be very good for Tallahassee's downtown development.

Just curious... at 18-20 stories... I can't imagine anything that WOULDN'T work out for me personally... I understand the limitations that a piece near a historic district can impose, however I'm sure the developer is aware of this as well. There is still a strong market for affordable (100,000-200,000) condominiums downtown and I'm hoping this is where the development goes. I'm still trying to imagine what lot on the north end of DT this could be without it being in or near a historic district. When you say North part of downtown, I'm picturing the area near Tennessee Street where we currently have a lot empty at Tennessee and Monroe, another at Call and MLK/Brounough (between Bethel Missionary Baptist Church and City Centre Building). There are also parcels on the North Side of Tennessee Street behind the Greyhound facility, a property for sale on Adams (I think) which is now a 5-6 story gray building, and a few pieces of land around the Capital City Bank area where they've recently cleared land and across from there where there is now just a huge parking area currently being used by Yates Construction crews working on the Tennyson Building.

Without saying exactly where, is the property North of Tennessee Street?

I'm hoping it's the vacant parcel at Tenn/Monroe. That's a high profile piece of property to just let it sit there. This would be a perfect project for that corner. But if not that parcel, anywhere will do for a good project like this one sounds. Does the City own that vacant parcel?

Yes, I am truly elated about this new high rise. I LOVE TALLAHASSEE so much. I sometimes get depressed about not having the biggest city, but I look at all we do have. Best in America parks. Canopy roads. Gorgeous fall's and winters.

Please Please fill us in on the new highrise!

Don't allow yourself to become depressed by the fact that Tallahassee isn't the biggest city, Downtown. Truly when it comes to cities, Biggest isn't always best. I'd much more appreciate a city with big city amenities and small city charms, as Tallahassee is. Where, as you've already stated, people still appreciate things like quality parks, good schools, canopy roads, and community festivals.

I'm with you on the Highrise buildings... with what we've already established for ourselves, a respectable skyline is all we're truly lacking.

I'd say.... our skyline is designed to be viewed from Apalachee Parkway, and this is where we ought to be able to see some denisty. Plaza Tower will help to change this, I was hoping Tallahassee could have made a difference but it came up short (literally). Tennyson is doing good work on the North side of the view, but we need something about as tall as the education building on that side (18-20 stories: hint, hint) to make things balance. From that point we'd need to fill in the gaps.

Archived