Major Developments

Florida

OK, here's some more info for you. The BP at the corner of north Monroe and Tennessee is scheduled to shut down in early January and be sold, including the NAPA Auto Care place at the corner of Tennessee and Calhoun to a developer (I suspect it is BOOTH HOLDINGS BOOTH TRUST LLC, same owner as the office building on the north side of the BP, although I don't know for sure) who plans build a condo high rise and ground level retail. I haven't heard any details on the proposal, only the generalities I've provided, but the closing is definitley scheduled for early January and the buyers want the BP closed and out right away. After demolition of the 13,000 s.f. office, the auto service buildings and gas station, the new development is supposed to cover both properties with a land area of about two acres. I can't verify the size of the proposed building or the number of units, but 18-20 stories is the number I heard suggested. I really like the idea of mixed use.

Now, can you imagine if this comes to fruition and the parking lot across the road at the same intersection is developed similarly as has been suggested? Wow!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I am truly elated about this new high rise. I LOVE TALLAHASSEE so much. I sometimes get depressed about not having the biggest city, but I look at all we do have. Best in America parks. Canopy roads. Gorgeous fall's and winters.

Please Please fill us in on the new highrise!

TD, I don't mean this as a criticism, but if you want the biggest city, move to Atlanta or Miami. Believe me, Tally is a very special place and better off the way it is. I'm impressed with the new highrises and the effect they will have here, but it'll still be a comfortable mid-sized city without many of the big city woes that inevitably come with growth. I'm very happy to be here and hope it does not grow too fast or too big.

developer (I suspect it is BOOTH HOLDINGS BOOTH TRUST LLC, same owner as the office building on the north side of the BP, although I don't know for sure) who plans build a condo high rise and ground level retail.of units, but 18-20 stories is the number I heard suggested. I really like the idea of mixed use.

Is Capital City Bank building a new money management office on the fenced-off lot across Calhoun where the demolition occurred last week? Any idea about its design or scale?

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the Cap City Bank project. I believe the bank is building low profile operations space.

Tallaman your HOT!!!!!

We need a new thread started now, say proposed highrise BP then when we get the name we can change the name of the threadd!!!

I'd suggest waiting until some official word comes out. This is pretty much just rumor and water cooler fodder.

That's pretty interesting. I wonder how fast that is going to happen because that particular gas station has some petroleum contamination issues and has not been closed out as "clean." I wonder if they are going to do some sort of deed restriction or institutional control on the property.

Maybe that's why they want to jump right on it - it may take awhile to remediate the contamination before they can start construction on anything else.

Is Capital City Bank building a new money management office on the fenced-off lot across Calhoun where the demolition occurred last week? Any idea about its design or scale?

Hey P_McLane here's a short thread where we discussed this parcel. I'm not made it over to Growth Management yet to check out the plans though, damn holiday stuff keeps getting in the way.

Capital City Bank

wow everybody... I've been around this place for a while, and this is the first time I think I've ever been bombarded with this much activity at once. I'm LOVIN it!!!

I think this is absolutely great news about the redevelopment of the gas station site. This will help to bridge the lone portion of downtown where the Radisson, George Belle now stand with the rest of the downtown. Not to mention, we have the opportunity to get rid of the eyesoar gas station as a gateway into our downtown.

Excellent news!

• 1 month later...

TJ, See what you can find out from your friends at City Hall about a multi-story hotel being built up in the Bradfordville area. I've searched but been unable to come up with anything so far. There was a gentleman with Mad Dog Construction in our office earlier this morning & he stated they would be starting construction on this project within the next 4-6 months but said he couldn't elaborate on any other details. He also stated that his company had enough commercial development work booked for this area to last them 10+ years even if they didn't get another contract anytime soon. I Love It but want to know more! :P

Mad Dog is currently building a Staybridge Suites out at Summit East so I wonder if they will be building one of these on Rick Kearny's development on Thomasville Road up in Bradfordville? Maybe this is what the guy from Mad Dog was talking about this morning. Hmmmmm???

Staybridge Suites Hotel

Expected Completion: 2006

This extended-stay, business-class hotel, to be a member of the Staybridge Suites chain, will be a major addition to the Summit East SMART Office Campus. On the shore of the beautiful lake and surrounded by trees, this picturesque lot is well suited to house guests of the many businesses in Summit East.

With an abundance of guest rooms, a large conference room, and many guest amenities, this will certainly be the hotel of choice for associates visiting Summit East.

Project Manager:

Jim Robinson

Project Superintendents:

Mike Daughtry & Ray Utter

Glenn, I haven't heard anything specifically mentioning a hotel so my best guess is this will be part of Rick's Bannerman's Crossings Development. You say Mad Dog is building it huh? I saw crews from Mad Dog working the Plaza Tower site the other day also. Don't let me forget, I took a picture of the completed 6 story Holiday Inn near Marie Livingstons last night... it looks great, and I want to post it up later. I also want to do a review on our dining experience from last night.

I'll look at the Bannerman's Crossing site to see if there is anything there that mentions it. I'll also check to see if anything is trying to move thru permitting.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... It doesn't look like Bannerman Crossings as all of that space seems to be reserved for retail use. Perhaps there is a site near Bull Run thats up for development.

layoutLarge.jpg

FYI There's a new version of Bannerman Crossing that has the two smaller retail spaces replaced with fast food restaurants.

Glenn, I haven't heard anything specifically mentioning a hotel so my best guess is this will be part of Rick's Bannerman's Crossings Development. You say Mad Dog is building it huh? I saw crews from Mad Dog working the Plaza Tower site the other day also. Don't let me forget, I took a picture of the completed 6 story Holiday Inn near Marie Livingstons last night... it looks great, and I want to post it up later. I also want to do a review on our dining experience from last night.

I'll look at the Bannerman's Crossing site to see if there is anything there that mentions it. I'll also check to see if anything is trying to move thru permitting.

It's not that far north, actually it's next to the former Winn Dixie on Timberlane that this is proposed for, along with a small shopping center and 20 or so residences, with a wetland between the retail/hotel and the residential lots

Hmm!! Definately a great place for a hotel. There's no slow down on the growth in the North East of Tallahassee no matter how much we ignore it on here! I'd be interested to know what brand it will be. The office buildings going up in that area are just beautiful! Any word on what will become of the old Winn-Dixie?

Has anyone noticed the massive new apartment complex going up on Tennessee street just west of the Boardwalk? It appears to be trapped between two terrible eyesoars, Billbond's Autoshop and a run-down strip center. I'm not sure what they plan to charge for rent, but it would sure appear to me that who ever is building this complex, probably doesn't care for much more than making a place just nice enough for it to return a profit. A development like this is a sure sign of an outside job, although I'm not 100% sure that's the case.

What does it take for people to stand up and say something about developments like these instead of complaining about the good ones like Fallschase and the development ongoing downtown?

Archived