• Interstate 840
    • Business 40
    • Business 85
    • US 220
    • Wendover Ave.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say it has to be a toss-up between the infamous "Death Valley" (I-40 / 85 Business) in Greensboro. And the US 52 corridor in Winston Salem. Death valley just has too many ramps too close together, and people that drive upwards of 90 mph, and others that want to crawl along at 45 mph! US 52 is just plain obsolete. When trucks try to merge onto 52 north from 40 business west, it sometimes slows the highway to a crawl. Semis, and dump-trucks simply cannot get up to speed because of the steep hill.

In particular in Death Valley: The ramp onto westbound 40 from 421. You have 29 merging into you from the left, and you are simultaneously merging right into the "fast lanes" of I-40. It's a short ramp too, and uphill. This one can be a real heart-pounder when following a loaded truck.

I dunno if this is still true, but the Greensboro News published some stats in th 1990s that shows the places with the most accidents are simply very busy intersections. Cone & Battleground. Eugene and Lee, etc.

I agree with Wendover Ave. in Greensboro Its not a highway but its dangerous due to all the traffic and crazy driving. Its almost imposible to turn left out of a parking lot on West Wendover (near the car dealerships) going east during rush hour.

On a Thursday or Friday afternoon, if I want to go do a Sams run...it can take me between 45 mins - and hour to get there...a trip that should only take me 30 minutes at most. To go from point to point over there can take you 15 minutes just wading through traffic. They put too much in one space. It already was a commutting cut through before this (but was a nice drive with lots of beautiful trees and all..) now it is lined with housing developments, condos, and shops.

What I dread most of all, is the indications that this may become the future of the area of Wendover out my way between Burlington and Greensboro. Slowly it is growing...and with Brightwood Farms and the Lake Mackintosh developments-the people will be here to support it all. Brightwood Farms is another Adam's Farm. Too much precious farmland and trees....being torn down and wasted. (IMO)

I voted for US 52 north of Business 40 to Germanton Road for its terrible sight distance and in my opinion, the most aggressive/rudest drivers in the state! At least the construction is done now!

How about the most craziest intersection? It would def have to be where Battleground and Lawndale/North Aycock meets. That whole area is confusing but im sure if you live in the area, its not confusing or bad.

Wow, I was just about to post something about the Lawndale/Battleground mess.  That is one of the most confusing and hard-to-navigate stretches of road I've ever seen, and I lived in Greensboro for 15 years!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No doubt and when you add in Westover Terrace to that mess it is even worse. You have three roads all running parallel to each other for several hundred yards. It is definitely wierd.

I've lived in the Greensboro area my whole life...that isnt a hard area to understand :P

I understand it-but maybe it is just having lived here...I have heard outsiders and newcomers often target that stretch with their insults LOL I would really hate to give instructions through it.

Part of the whole picture is that Battleground north is also 220 north ... and that came straight down into downtown.

• 5 months later...

how about Piedmont Parkway

ehhhhhhhhhhhh, the name fits the highway well but the word "parkway" is used improperly too much. A parkway, by highway definition, is a limited access highway freeway or expressway that is to serve recreational traffic and no trucks are allowed* (IOW commericial vehicles). Baltimore-Washington Parkway, George Washington Parkway, Garden State Parkway, Palisades Interstate Parkway and the Blue Ridge Parkway are examples of recreational high speed roads but do not allow trucks. BRP isnt high speed but is traffic light free with just about all of the exits are grade seperated and is also limited access.

*south of Exit 98 on the Garden State Parkway, trucks are allowed exclusively for deliveries only.

ehhhhhhhhhhhh, the name fits the highway well but the word "parkway" is used improperly too much. A parkway, by highway definition, is a limited access highway freeway or expressway that is to serve recreational traffic and no trucks are allowed* (IOW commericial vehicles). Baltimore-Washington Parkway, George Washington Parkway, Garden State Parkway, Palisades Interstate Parkway and the Blue Ridge Parkway are examples of recreational high speed roads but do not allow trucks. BRP isnt high speed but is traffic light free with just about all of the exits are grade seperated and is also limited access.

*south of Exit 98 on the Garden State Parkway, trucks are allowed exclusively for deliveries only.

ok. thanks for the clarification. Piedmont Highway, IMO, sounds bland though. Piedmont Freeway?

Wiki Says

A freeway (also superhighway, expressway or motorway as further explained below) is a multi-lane highway (road) designed for high-speed travel by large numbers of vehicles, and having no traffic lights, stop signs, nor other regulations requiring vehicles to stop for cross-traffic.

I don't know if that's 100% US 52 though. Or maybe the Winsalem Highway LOL... that's what it sounds like if you say it fast anyway.

Archived